• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

What style Hifi Kits would people like to see?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Picowallspeaker - the aluminium plate is for a 3 way active amp system that went in the cabs (with dsp and aes digital inputs). Just had a look at the Daniel Hertz M1 (not come accros it before) looks very much like a "traditional" 3 way pa system in a single cabinet with nice paint. The waveguide looks pretty terrible but with Levinsons back ground you would expect them to sound quit nice (my bet is a BMS anular ring radiator compression driver by the efficiency).

Back to the kit side of things?

Right wanted to try and get some more info on kits.

I have started designing a couple of simple bass cabinet ranges that will be
produced in 25mm deep route grade mdf:-

Firstly is a range of passive radiator cabinets. I'm thinking :-
7 inch + 2 x 7inch PR
8 inch + 2 x 8inch PR
10 inch + 2 x 10inch PR
12 inch + 2 x 12inch PR

The second will be a set of infinite baffle subs following the same cabinet styling and driver size options:-
7 inch IB
8inch IB
10 inch IB
12 inch IB

These will all be designed around the Wavecor balanced drive sub woofers
as we have an agreement with Wavecor to supply their drivers within the UK. ;)

Obviously there may be other driver options that will suite the cabinets but I will leave that for others to play with. We can vary baffle rebates to suite different drivers should that be required.

These will be of a standard cabinet construction (rebated flat panels). But I am also very keen on using a multi layer cabinet structure as it offers so much design freedom. It is something we have been playing with for a few years now with great success. I plan on the first full range and multi way designs being of this construction style.

My first idea is a nice set of full range desktop/computer speakers using a single Wavecor 2.75inch FR driver in a 3x25mm layerered cabinet construction with 20mm solid hardwood baffle cover with integrated wave guide. (I have a test set of these on my desk at home now with Nice lacquered Sapele baffle cover )

The second idea i have started designing is a relatively compact wall mount, surround, bookshelf or stand mount cabinet. This is a reflex loaded MTM design with 2x Wavecor 2.75inch aluminium SW070WA01/02 "Subwoofer" mid bass units with a 22mm TW022WA03/04 soft dome tweeter. The cabinet is a curved 10 layer construction.

I will try and get some basic renders up for you to have a look at.

I have a few more but will come to those shortly.

Talking about companies, like IPL....
Funny thing is that 2 weeks ago i rescued a pair of Ram acoustics with only...
a passive each.
I wasn't disappointed 'cos it would be a nice experiment ( it's a 7" I guess)
to try some PR with a ...say...5 1/2 '' ( the only ones that I have :eek::D )
Thinking of placing it in the back of the box...or maybe...who knows...
this is strange http://www.audiomaxitalia.com/kit/prod/gr_prs_130200.html?tx_ttproducts_pi1[backPID]=71&cHash=d5c11ce72b016e5c21511e3f4b8dc118
( with self assembled woofers having very low Z coil...2 Ω ! )

Hi Pico,

Could be a fun project. I was considering getting Wavecor to make us some custom 4-5 inch PR's to go with the 2.75 woofers(mid/woofer) as it would save a lot of issues regarding getting adequate port length within a tiny cabinets.

On the little PR sub cabinets we are designing, we have opted for the PR's to be mounted on the left and right sides of the cabinet offering maximum flexibility with placement (ie against a wall ;)), as well as providing a more even cabinet resonance due to the even power distribution through the structure.

couple of basic renders

Here are a couple of basic renders of the initial bass cabinet concepts.
the layout would remain the same for each size model in the range.

Passive Radiator design - 8inch drive units + 2x8inch PR

They would have a fully rebated construction that should be quite rigid with the bracing system in use (I'm quietly pleased with the bracing system on this design) especially on a cabinet of this size (net 14Ltr).

IB (Sealed) cabinet - Single 8inch drive unit

Essentially the same construction with only slight modifications to the bracing system used on the PR design.

We would offer a separate hardware option that would have all hardware and fittings. This would include :- spikes, magnetic grills, cnc machined connector plate (with model details engraved) plus all the threaded inserts and bolts for mounting the driver(s) and hardware.

Thought Id throw up an image of a couple cabinets we are producing as a custom order for a client down in Cornwall (as modeled by my lovely daughter). These are assembled in the workshop ready to start finishing in the next couple of days. Upon request these have been designed around the Volt FR220.1 co-axial unit that the client already had (and is one of his all time favorite) drivers.

The construction is 18 mm MR MDF for the the sides, top and bottom. The baffle and back are 25mm MR MDF. Theses have a solid 20mm thick 5+ year old Mahogony baffle cover that acts as both foam filter cover and makes the final section of the port.

Driver should arrive from the client tomorrow hopefully so will get moving on it again then. The cabinet will be painted with WB enamel in a rich cream semi gloss (30% sheen). the Mahogony will be oiled, clear lacquered then polished.

I will get some images of the little 2 way MTM cabinets I'm working on as a possible kit, see whether you think it there could be a place in the market for something like it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I envision a few different stands/bases could be developed that allowed it to be used in a few different ways ie. wall mounted, stand mounted, bookshelf or even a tilted desktop version?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.