My ES9018 DAC/Amp/Controller.. - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2014, 09:21 AM   #201
diyAudio Member

Bonjour,
Je serais interresse pour une utilisation sur un Système 2.1 (stéréo plus caisson de graves)
verser configuration de ma Seule la carte Anaméro me suffirait en entrée (Tout est pilote par PC)
Question: pas de probleme de décrochage aveC Les ports USB3 (Pas de port USB2)
Possibilité d'un ESS9018 par canal ?
Yroger.
Old 16th March 2014, 09:24 AM   #202
diyAudio Member

Bonjour,
Je Serais interresse verser juin utilisation sur non Système 2.1 (Stéréo Plus caisson de Graves)
Verser la configuration de ma Seule la carte Anaméro me suffirait en entrée (Tout est pilote par PC)
Question: pas de probleme de décrochage aveC Les ports USB3 (Pas de port USB2)
Possibilité d'ESS9018 non par canal?
Yroger.
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:04 PM   #203
alexmi is offline alexmi  United States
diyAudio Member

This thread seems dead, no messages in over two weeks. What happened ??

thanks, alex
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:58 AM   #204
AAK is offline AAK  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex,

I'm still here. After six months of nearly working every night and weekend I needed a break. But I was back at it last weekend adding some new features to the firmware and testing the new DAC power supply based on the LT1963/1764. I also started assembling the new I/V-Amp2 board, and worked on some new designs.

As far as making my project available, I'm still all for it but after the lackluster response to pricing I obviously have some work to do. I've received some great advice from some forum members so I'm currently working on it. In the meantime if anybody has any questions or advice please feel free to jump in.

Best regards,

Al
Old 6th April 2014, 04:49 AM   #205
diyAudio Member

I do appreciate your commitment, but after all that time spent it is difficult not to see things through rose tinted glasses.

If you are intent on thinking about the project just commercially then you need to ask yourself some tough questions like-

1/ Who is my target market?
2/ What is my competition?
3/ What extra does my product bring to the table?
4/ Why is my product more expensive and what are the REAL benefits to an audiophile?
5/ What is the lifespan of the design?

I belong to an audio club in Auckland, and it seems like there are 2 types of Hifi nuts, 1st the ones that only buy commercial products and sneer at DIY stuff, and 2nd the DIYers who build as much gear as they can and would rather spend time as opposed to money to get the sound right (I am one of these).

You have not attracted the 1st type of person because
a/ very few people know about your product
b/ it is essentially an unfinished product so is viewed as DIY
c/ it is an unbranded product so has no perceived value for resale.
d/ there is not enough hype (and marketing BS ?) being dished out to make it attractive.

I think you might have turned away the 2nd type because
a/ your prices are very high for DIY.
b/ you have provided very little information showing circuits and design benefits.
c/ you have not offered the product in kit form.
d/ you have more or less said this product is not for DIYers!

For me, your product does seem attractive, but price is a big issue, and availability of seperate items is unclear. For my active 3 way project I need to implement a 6 channel DAC with 3 I2S or SPDIF inputs.
Cost for your setup is DAC/Controller $675, 3x I/V boards $800, SPDIF board $125 = $1575.
Cost for Buffalo DAC is $397 (incl 3 regs), 3x IVY I/V boards $267, 4ch SPDIF board $46.00, input selector kit $16.00 = $726 total.
That is a BIG difference and does not include differences in cost for the main power supplies.

I am not sure how this project came about for you, but it seems that (like many other DIYers) you like doing this design stuff for the 'Fun' of it. I know I have spent dozens of hours of my own time building one off products, just because I like DIY. So why don't you make the boards available at a more reasonable price, treating it as a subsidy for your 'Fun', and at the same time let others enjoy your design. Just my 2c worth.

So I am hopeful you will come up with some more cost effective DIY combos and have boards (complete or otherwise) available seperately at revised prices. Personally I wouldn't leave it too long to figure it out as the ES9018 is only the 'latest and greatest' until the next chip comes along, and that new chip might not be a Sabre.

Regards
Jeremy

PS. If you'd like to send a set of boards down to NZ then I would be happy to evaluate and review them for you.
Old 7th April 2014, 12:00 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks so much for the post. You bring up some really good points. I've been working on some of them including pricing. I'll respond in more detail to some of your points in the coming days since I'm a bit pressed for time this morning. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Al
Old 8th May 2014, 06:00 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Hi Everybody,

I know it's been a while but I'm back. I finally got around to purchasing a E-MU 0404 and took some measurements last night off my ES9018 DAC with two DAC boards stacked (8 DACs/Channel) and my I/V-Amp1 board. I did the test using a stock non-modified E-MU.

I've attached a couple THD plots. Each measurement is from the single ended unbalanced outputs of the I/V-Amp1 board. I'll have to buy some cables to check the balanced outputs. The first plot shows THD+N using a 1Khz tone at 0dB (1.0Vrms). The second shows a 1Khz spectrum down to -120dB showing the DACs ability to resolve the tinniest details. I plan on modifying my E-MU to see if I can lower the numbers even more but I can't argue with THD+N at 0.000359.

I'll be provide an update on what else is going on this weekend.

Best regards,

Al
Attached Images
File Type: gif ES9018_emu_0dB.GIF (54.0 KB, 323 views)
File Type: gif ES9018_emu_120dB.GIF (49.2 KB, 315 views)
Old 8th May 2014, 06:36 PM   #208
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is that using the USB or the PCIe version of the E-MU 0404?
Old 8th May 2014, 06:47 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

It's the USB version.
Old 9th May 2014, 02:38 PM   #210
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Great measurements. Lower THD+N than the Benchmark DAC1. I actually wasn't aware that the EM-U 0404 could measure that low.

Hide this!Advertise here!