Tortuga Audio LDR3x DIY Preamp Controller w/ Remote - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: What type remote do you prefer to control your preamp?
Use a dedicated custom remote? 2 10.53%
Use the Apple Remote? 5 26.32%
Use an app on my iPhone, iPad or Android? 9 47.37%
Custom plus apps? 2 10.53%
Apple plus apps? 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th August 2013, 01:31 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default Customer feedback on the LDR3x

Received the following unsolicited feedback in an email from a recent LDR3x customer. Had to share.

Quote:
"Today I received the LDR3 board and I am FLOORED by the sound quality. I've been using a TVC [transformer volume control] for several years and was very happy, but the LDR simply blows it away. I am hearing detail I never knew existed in recordings I have listened to hundreds of time before. Bass is better, treble is clearer, etc....the sound is killer. I am retired and have been pursuing this hobby seriously for 40 years. The last 20 years of my career was as a music wholesale salesperson - I worked for Telarc for 7 years and then for an indie distributor where I sold several audiophile labels, so I have some serious experience listening. This volume control is fabulous." - Glynn Wilson
Old 20th August 2013, 07:51 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default Greatly Improved Technical Manual

We just uploaded the latest LDR3x Technical Manual.

This latest revision is a big improvement in that it provides much more detailed info on how to wire up the LDR3x to unbalanced and balanced audio signals and also how to connect the optional manual control inputs and outputs.

You can view/download the latest manual by going to the following link and scrolling down to the bottom the page. LDR3x DIY Preamp Controller Board | Tortuga Audio

If you've already purchased an LDR3x you'll be getting an email with this updated manual attached.

As always, if you see something that's just plain wrong, doesn't make sense or needs additional clarification, give me a shout here, via PM or via morten@tortugaaudio.com

Enjoy!
Morten
Old 25th August 2013, 06:19 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default Sale on LDR3x Preamp Controller Board ends 9.1.13

Just a quick reminder that if you've been hesitating about ordering a LDR3x Preamp Controller Board w/ Remote, the current sale on the LDR3x ends at midnight next Sunday (9.1.13).

Right now the LDR3x goes for $195 including remote ($295 for the balanced Master/Slave board combo).

Visit our website/store to find out more: LDR3x DIY Preamp Controller Board | Tortuga Audio
Old 1st September 2013, 05:26 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainWatt View Post
Just a quick reminder that if you've been hesitating about ordering a LDR3x Preamp Controller Board w/ Remote, the current sale on the LDR3x ends at midnight next Sunday (9.1.13).

Right now the LDR3x goes for $195 including remote ($295 for the balanced Master/Slave board combo).

Visit our website/store to find out more: LDR3x DIY Preamp Controller Board | Tortuga Audio
In light of the extended Labor Day weekend here in the US, we're extending the sale price for the LDR3x up until midnight this Monday, Sept 2nd.

Enjoy the extended weekend!
Morten
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:14 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

I would like to pose a question, hope it is not a problem. Did you ever try to make a balanced LDR control with the LDR in place of the pot, as shown in the attached schematic? This would save 3 LDR's per channel.
What is the minimum resistance you have been able to achieve with these LDRs?
Many thanks! Erik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BalancedPad.jpg (7.5 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by ErikdeBest; 2nd September 2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: forgot to attach schematic
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:44 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikdeBest View Post
I would like to pose a question, hope it is not a problem. Did you ever try to make a balanced LDR control with the LDR in place of the pot, as shown in the attached schematic? This would save 3 LDR's per channel.
What is the minimum resistance you have been able to achieve with these LDRs?
Many thanks! Erik
Hi Erik,
No problem. Our current balanced LDR design approach looks something similar in that R1 and R2 are both LDRs (the series) and the RV1a is actually 2 LDRs (call them R3 and R4 - the shunts). Through testing and software we're able to shape the resistance curve of all 4 of these LDRs to achieve very decent channel to channel balance. Thus for unbalanced audio we use a total of 4 LDRs, 2 per channel and twice that for balanced.
Cheers,
Morten
Old 2nd September 2013, 08:51 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Hi Morten,

thanks for your reply. That is indeed how I expected you would do it. I was just thinking that using fixed resistors for R1 and R2, and indeed just one LDR instead of two in series, could work as well - soundwise maybe worse, maybe better, don't know - but probably cheaper and easier (less LDR's, less matching issues). Downside is that impedances would vary more with this setup.

I was more curious if you have compared both ways of doing balanced volume control?

many thanks, Erik
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:10 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikdeBest View Post
Hi Morten,

thanks for your reply. That is indeed how I expected you would do it. I was just thinking that using fixed resistors for R1 and R2, and indeed just one LDR instead of two in series, could work as well - soundwise maybe worse, maybe better, don't know - but probably cheaper and easier (less LDR's, less matching issues). Downside is that impedances would vary more with this setup.

I was more curious if you have compared both ways of doing balanced volume control?

many thanks, Erik
For reasons I can't explain (because I don't know!) but that probably have to do with material properties, audio just sounds better having traveled through LD-resistors compared to conventional resistors. It would compromise sound quality to go back to using conventional resistors. Or else why not just use a stepped attenuator with say Vishay resistors...or a pot. The whole point of LDR based attenuation isn't merely to use less of them but to use only LDRs and just enough of them to get the job done.
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:31 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Hi Morten,
I thought that the point was to avoid mechanical contact, but indeed the presence of more LD resistors may be the main factor influencing the sound. Well, from my side it was mostly curiosity, so maybe I will have to try it out myself. Many thanks for your replies, and succes with your business!
Erik
Old 4th September 2013, 03:43 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I received the kit, thanks. I have temporarily housed it in a plastic project box with very cheap and nasty phono sockets. I am delighted to report that it is clearly and unexpectedly better than my amorphous core TVC with its WBT "Next Gen" silver phono sockets. Thanks for the outstanding product!

Rob.

Hide this!Advertise here!