VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier - Page 95 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2013, 10:20 PM   #941
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

If not to late, i,ll take a pair also?

Regards
David
Old 4th April 2013, 01:39 AM   #942
OZAM is offline OZAM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default VSSA PCB.

Please add me with one pair.
Thank you.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:54 PM   #943
chunek is offline chunek  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
VSSA PCB gerbers already prepared. This week I'll visit three PCB+SMD assembly companies and choose the one to produce VSSA.

Two MUR160 transformed to SMD, now ES1D, Vishay, also preinstalled. I'll also try to set faston terminals to be preinstalled

There will be only 6 electrolytic capacitors, two MKT capacitors, two BCs, KSA/KSC and ALF mosfet to solder manually.
Thanks LC,

That will solve my worry on installing SMD parts!

chunek
Old 4th April 2013, 01:42 PM   #944
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
Is somebody can advice improvements to the circuit, I'm all ears...eyes...
Nice Linear PSU schematic with good care of diodes switching parasitic harmonics. Can be improved (may-be ?) with dumping network at the trasfo coils, and, ('i'm sure of that) just paralelling Zener or voltage regulators to the gate capacitor in order to regulate-it.

L.C, i am just asking myself a question. If we use a regulated SMPS, with HF switching frequency, could we have some benefits to use big film caps (lower µF value, less inductance) instead of lytics for the input stage and VAS DC filters of the VSSA ?

Last edited by Esperado; 4th April 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 4th April 2013, 03:56 PM   #945
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
L.C, i am just asking myself a question. If we use a regulated SMPS, with HF switching frequency, could we have some benefits to use big film caps (lower µF value, less inductance) instead of lytics for the input stage and VAS DC filters of the VSSA ?
Now we have 10 Ohm and 1 mF/50 V filtering for the VAS/input stage DC rails, since T=R*C, the filtration is effective from 100 Hz up. If SMPS has 100 kHz we could use let say 1 uF/10 Ohm for the same HF ripple filtration job only. But there's also ripple caused by LF loading currents, so something in between 1 uF to 1 mF is probably correct to choose. My suggestion would be still to use quality 1 mF/50 V electrolytics like Nichicon FG or Panasonic FC or ELNA Silmic, etc. Smaller film capacitors would serve fine for HF decoupling but will not be really effective for filtration and current providing in LF audio spectrum, especially when amp's hardly loaded.

VSSA has already 1 uF multilayer SMDs parallel to all electrolytics at DC rails, as I know well that you don't like that much because of cap resonances, but until now they've proved to be done very good job in the circuit.
Old 4th April 2013, 04:12 PM   #946
diyAudio Member

I think you have forgotten the 2xpi bit, surely its from 16Hz up?
Old 4th April 2013, 07:36 PM   #947
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats squirrel View Post
I think you have forgotten the 2xpi bit, surely its from 16Hz up?
Yes, 16 Hz would be cuttoff frequency where filter attenuates the signal to half its unfiltered power and that is only -3 dB, which is not relevant to be useful in practice at PSU-s. We usually set PSU passive filters to at least -20 dB attenuation to have useful effect in practice. Concretely at 100 Hz this low pass filter (10 Ohm/1 mF) has only -8,6 dB reduction in power.
Old 5th April 2013, 02:04 AM   #948
diyAudio Member

Merci bien, cher Esperado,

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz
Is somebody can advice improvements to the circuit, I'm all ears...eyes...
Esperado wrote:
Nice Linear PSU schematic with good care of diodes switching parasitic harmonics. Can be improved (may-be ?) with dumping network at the trasfo coils, and, ('i'm sure of that) just paralelling Zener or voltage regulators to the gate capacitor in order to regulate-it.
I suppose you speak about secondaries of TX. I didn't think about that option because T1 disconnect C2 from C1 for a significant period of the cycle...can you explain?

I do not use T2 but many C2's or another reg, the PowerReg which is the only one that I know well how to build: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Sorry for OT (but not too much OT I hope since we want the best PS for SSAs).

M.
Old 5th April 2013, 03:20 AM   #949
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
I suppose you speak about secondaries of TX. I didn't think about that option because T1 disconnect C2 from C1 for a significant period of the cycle...can you explain?
As you know, the high energy parasitic oscillations generated by the switch off of the rectifiers find their way across grounds, primary of the trasfo down to AC lines, generates EMI/RFI. The best is to dump them at the source, whatever the precautions you can take after-it (like T1) to filter them before amp's rails.
The boring point is the optimal RC network depends of each particular trasfo and caps and even the way they are mounted, so it is kind a real life blind try, i don't know an easy way to calculate them.
Old 5th April 2013, 03:23 AM   #950
diyAudio Member

OK. I understand. I think I have here somewhere some recommendations about this topic...

Amicalement,
M.

Hide this!Advertise here!