VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2013, 12:26 AM   #491
diyAudio Member

It would be a good idea, IMHO, to add on some versions of the VSSA's boards, places for a low RDSon MOSfets between rails and drains of the power fets, and place to fix an optical driver for them. Could be used for protection and silent start/stop, or by passed by straps.
See here: An ultimate amp protection circuit ?
This proposal will make a protection perfect, as the non linearities (little) of the protection MOS will be canceled by the feedback.
Old 26th February 2013, 06:54 AM   #492
Tyimo is offline Tyimo  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
By default bias level 0,4 Wrms at 8 ohm, with good heatsink provided, bias can be trimmed to enable 1 Wrms/8 ohm class A without any problem.
Thanks!
Is it not possible to biasing more into Class A???

Greets:
Tyimo
Old 26th February 2013, 12:10 PM   #493
diyAudio Member

Hi guys

Esperado, It can be done of course but power-on start of VSSA is already absolutely silent. For protection purposes maybe in the next release.

Tyimo, I biased for the test and stability purpose to 1 A and it was OK. So if you like to have very HOT VSSA just go for it.

But first thing is to prepare 50 x 60 mm VSSA PCB to be perfectly DIY proof with parts available and to fit in without any nonsense.

As we all know TO-92 j-fets are commonly obsolete and unavailable so I'll put SOT-23 j-fets like BF545B to serve as CCSs from both sides of rails.

PCB is in preparation, also I check availability of ALF08NP16V5 as this is the most important part of VSSA and I think there will be no problem even if I have to order it at Semelab-TT directly.

This is current situation and progresses.

Regards, Andrej
Old 26th February 2013, 12:18 PM   #494
dadod is offline dadod  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Hi guys

Esperado, It can be done of course but start of VSSA is already absolutely silent. For protection purposes maybe in the next release.

Regards, Andrej
Maybe for the next release to use something as my PS Regulator. It incorporates all needed protection and acts as a capacitance multiplier.
dado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSregulator-BJT-b-sch.jpg (284.8 KB, 814 views)
Old 26th February 2013, 12:24 PM   #495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadod View Post
Maybe for the next release to use something as my PS Regulator. It incorporates all needed protection and acts as a capacitance multiplier.
dado
Thank you dadod

Looking to the complexity of the circuit it is quite clear it serves perfectly to job as it was intended. It is actually a slave amp supplying power to the master one. Maybe implemented in a High-End version of VSSA.
Old 26th February 2013, 01:18 PM   #496
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Thank you dadod

Looking to the complexity of the circuit it is quite clear it serves perfectly to job as it was intended. It is actually a slave amp supplying power to the master one. Maybe implemented in a High-End version of VSSA.
Lazy Cat, I have two modified JLH MOSFET amps, and I was thinking to keep one and other one to convert to the VSSA or SSA as I don't have any CFB amp and never listened one.
By the way from JLH power supply for 80W MOSFET amp I 've get idea how to implement all needed protections. Different is that JLH use a voltage stabilizer and I use a regulator without fixed voltage reference. That JLH amp saved my speaker more than ones and like it a lot.
dado
Old 26th February 2013, 01:25 PM   #497
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadod View Post
... as I don't have any CFB amp and never listened one.dado
Dado
I thought JLH is CFB
Old 26th February 2013, 01:37 PM   #498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padamiecki View Post
Dado
I thought JLH is CFB
I was talking about JLH MOSFET 80W amp with classical LTP at the input.
Old 26th February 2013, 04:01 PM   #499
PauloPT is offline PauloPT  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to PauloPT
Is there an estimate how much will cost the pcb and the component kit?
Old 26th February 2013, 05:03 PM   #500
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
My understanding is that Cat's design is - at the moment - complete and tested. It also appears to him to meet his requirement criteria. Admittedly I am a beginner with little knowledge but am old enough to stick to basics. Many of the proposed improvements from others - at the moment, - do not much more for the likes of me than muddy the water. I have on the other hand been party to testing of "off the wall designs", both DHT and solid state, by another revered designer. Some of these have been totally unacceptable to theorists, yet have been better - hands down - than anything which the technical guys have ever produced in terms of producing accurate sound. All of the protection circuits etc will damage the end result. Kis as possible.

Hide this!Advertise here!