VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2012, 04:51 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadod View Post
This what I've got with Bigun file.This is at quite low level, at higher level it is much worse.
dado
For such a simple amp it is still all very good, at your first sim at 1 kHz, H2 still -100dB.

Normal home usage with moderate to high efficiency speakers will do fine.

VSSA is ideal for an active speaker (2-3 channels per speaker), low parts count, direct connection to drivers, active crossover, etc.

If you would like to get lower THD add appropriate driver, plus two output pairs more ...
Old 15th December 2012, 04:57 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineup View Post
I setup the circuit from your diagram.
The DC-offset is very small, 12 mV.

The first thing I noticed is that circuit needs some compensation to be stable.
This was fixed with one 22pF from base to collector of KSA1381 and likewise 22pF around KSC3503.

The THD distortion at 1 Watt is remarkably low for such a simple amplifier:
THD 0.0002% at 1 Watt RMS.

Very nice amplifier
Yes, thanks lineup. It would be a shame not to share this amp among others, especially for young DIY-ers to start with some discrete amp built.

Agree, 22pF base collector compensation and 100pF parallel with input 10k also recommended.
Old 15th December 2012, 05:13 PM   #23
dadod is offline dadod  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
For such a simple amp it is still all very good, at your first sim at 1 kHz, H2 still -100dB.

Normal home usage with moderate to high efficiency speakers will do fine.

VSSA is ideal for an active speaker (2-3 channels per speaker), low parts count, direct connection to drivers, active crossover, etc.

If you would like to get lower THD add appropriate driver, plus two output pairs more ...
This is THD20k before clipping(this amp clips at 28 V p with +-35 V of power supply)).
dado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TSSA-THD20k-before clipping.jpg (223.0 KB, 2718 views)
Old 15th December 2012, 05:19 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It would be a shame not to share this amp among others, especially for young DIY-ers to start with some discrete amp built.
Yes it's a really little nice circuit and I think to publish it in a German forum. Especial younger people are searching often good and simple circuits. I will of course mention the author
Old 15th December 2012, 05:19 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadod View Post
This is THD20k before clipping(this amp clips at 28 V p with +-35 V of power supply)).
dado
WOW that's very good, H2 almost -90dB just before clipping at 20 kHz. Very good simple amp this VSSA is. Thanks dadod
Old 15th December 2012, 05:27 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moschfet View Post
Yes it's a really little nice circuit and I think to publish it in a German forum. Especial younger people are searching often good and simple circuits. I will of course mention the author
No problem, some resistors values still can be calibrated to optimal values, like OLG (470ohm, 10 ohm) vs. bandwidth (feedback resistors ratio), input/VAS bias etc, but in general as it is now, VSSA will work.

Also please invite German fellows to DIY Audio too.
Old 15th December 2012, 05:34 PM   #27
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
With only six transistors you can get genuine current feedback, high bandwidth amplifier, capable of driving 4 ohm speakers. PCB can be very simple and small too.
With additional pair of transistor for current source (and paralleled output), it can deliver up to 180W with better performance. And the best stability I have seen from all amplifiers I have simulated.
Old 15th December 2012, 05:40 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
With additional pair of transistor for current source (and paralleled output), it can deliver up to 180W with better performance. And the best stability I have seen from all amplifiers I have simulated.
All of them ever?
Old 15th December 2012, 05:45 PM   #29
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All of them ever?
I mean capacitive load. Hehe And low impedance load too.

ADD: Simulated with 2 Ohm load and/or paralleled with 56uF, no oscillation even with 2V input (and no thermal runaway). Not sure with real measurement but never seen something like this before but the amp sounds good. I learned a couple of things from Marantz CFB amplifier.

My latest play is with your simplest BJT SSA. So only 4 transistors. But I used darlington output. Really "simple". And can be biased very low with acceptable performance.

Last edited by Jay; 15th December 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 15th December 2012, 05:50 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

yeah that's what I meant too, so it can deliver off-phase currents better then other amps you've simulated, super

Hide this!Advertise here!