• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

Hi LC,

The major issu for common Diyboy with you puppie will be the resistors tunning as it handel to solder CMS with those electrolytics and 10µ so near...That's why i don't know if just after TSSA BIGBT HP il will go for your neat vssa or i go for my layout. The board is bigger (73*63mm) but tricky resistors are on solder side. I have pad to solder tunning trimmer that will be removed. According to V1.4 VAS are on main heatsink and TLVH431 is present.

Marc

Attachments

• VSSA_1.4_v2_brd.png
    VSSA_1.4_v2_brd.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,451
Any chance to use N-Channel Only?

Hello Andrej, great job, well done!:up:

For a couple of years I have been looking for a simple current feedback topology with high BW and SR, and now I finally find it here. What is more, from your threads, I see a good heart as well as a very knowledgeble mind. This is truly something that I respect. :worship: By the way, your English is perfect to me!:worship:

There is no question I will build this amp. :yes:However, I have one question: is there any chance to use N-Channel only for the o/p? I have 200+ more IRF530s and some 2SK312/512s. But no 2SJ. And the ALF08NP is not obtainable to me. Also, I think it is not inexpensive at all to use K1058/J162 with your VSSA.:( That aside, your topology is almost perfect for DIY. :D

Thank you very much for bringing such a good design to the DIY community!

how cricital is CCS symetry and exact value ? , I would think to use j508/j509 current diodes , but tolerances of those are not good , 20% , :(

CRD-s are untrimmable and it would be almost impossible to balance DC offset and to set correct input/VAS bias current even with large asortiman. So the solution with j-fet and two fixed resistors is just optimal as enables trimming to +/- 5 mV output DC offset and VAS bias to cold start level of 12 mA. What's best it is time wear-proof since there's no trimmer present after initial calibration. :yes:

CRD-s are untrimmable and it would be almost impossible to balance DC offset and to set correct input/VAS bias current even with large asortiman. So the solution with j-fet and two fixed resistors is just optimal as enables trimming to +/- 5 mV output DC offset and VAS bias to cold start level of 12 mA. What's best it is time wear-proof since there's no trimmer present after initial calibration. :yes:
Something that would work is to get one BF245A JFET (or BF245B) for each current source.
These BF245 Jfets are easily found most everywhere.
So they are easy to buy.

Hello Andrej, great job, well done!:up:

For a couple of years I have been looking for a simple current feedback topology with high BW and SR, and now I finally find it here. What is more, from your threads, I see a good heart as well as a very knowledgeble mind. This is truly something that I respect. :worship: By the way, your English is perfect to me!:worship:

There is no question I will build this amp. :yes:However, I have one question: is there any chance to use N-Channel only for the o/p? I have 200+ more IRF530s and some 2SK312/512s. But no 2SJ. And the ALF08NP is not obtainable to me. Also, I think it is not inexpensive at all to use K1058/J162 with your VSSA.:( That aside, your topology is almost perfect for DIY. :D

Thank you very much for bringing such a good design to the DIY community!

Thank you jazzclassics for very kind and gentle words. :blush:

Well, only N-channel and also vertical mosfets I didn't consider to fit into my fully symmetrical type of amps. I don't imply that's not possible, but there we would also ran into thermal stability issue with verticals as that would take some extra parts to make it thermally stable. :rolleyes:

Also I think ALF08NP is unique transistor on the market as just made for the purpose in VSSA and also we all can be pretty sure it is genuine when bought. Also to my humble opinion it is one level better performer than 2SK/2SJ. :yes:

What about N-channel JFETs like BF256, BF244, BFW10, BFW11 or P-channel JFET like J176 for CCS? Thanks.

Any type of N or P ch j-fet providing Id=8 mA at Vgs=0 V is OK, so when calibrated to cca. 2,4 mA as CCS in VSSA, Rgs at that point (two parallel fixed setting resistors) is in a range of 1 kohm.

The only limiting factor is Vds max, which at 2N5462 is 40 V. Solution is to put resistor in series with CCS to take few extra volts. I can consider this and implement BF245B plus serial resistor in a GB PCB since this one is easily obtainable. :up:

After coming back home I cannot stop listening to my lab test setup composed from nothing but PCB-s only. It is best PCB system at the moment for sure. HD tracks are alive like performed by ABC network player. :cloud9:

Regards Andrej :cheers:

Attachments

• VSSA PCB 18.jpg
    VSSA PCB 18.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 1,249
  • VSSA PCB 20.jpg
    VSSA PCB 20.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 1,180
  • VSSA PCB 21.jpg
    VSSA PCB 21.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 1,115
  • VSSA PCB 22.jpg
    VSSA PCB 22.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 1,059
Any type of N or P ch j-fet providing Id=8 mA at Vgs=0 V is OK, so when calibrated to cca. 2,4 mA as CCS in VSSA, Rgs at that point (two parallel fixed setting resistors) is in a range of 1 kohm.

The only limiting factor is Vds max, which at 2N5462 is 40 V. Solution is to put resistor in series with CCS to take few extra volts. I can consider this and implement BF245B plus serial resistor in a GB PCB since this one is easily obtainable. :up:

2sk246/ 2sj103 BL grade ,
but why it has to be Idds 8mA ??