VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier - Page 209 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2013, 09:59 PM   #2081
diyAudio Member

according to Lazy Cat you need SMPS for best performance; please google Hypex website for SMPS 400. if you have power hungry speakers, you need at least 400-500W transformer for stereo channels; voltage should not exceed +-45V after rectifiers. I hope I could give you the best answer, a better one can be given only by LC himself, but it strongly depends on your load...
Old 7th August 2013, 06:16 AM   #2082
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicus69 View Post
according to Lazy Cat you need SMPS for best performance; please google Hypex website for SMPS 400. if you have power hungry speakers, you need at least 400-500W transformer for stereo channels; voltage should not exceed +-45V after rectifiers. I hope I could give you the best answer, a better one can be given only by LC himself, but it strongly depends on your load...
I don't intend too buy a PS, I intend to build it using Pete's boards. Maybe my amp will not sound as good as your amp but I will have fun finding out.
Old 7th August 2013, 08:19 AM   #2083
diyAudio Member

Hi Terry,

My answer was to Rondadon, who asked about the requirements. I will also not use SMPS, and build classical power supply, and have fun finding out the best sound possible But of course i tried to help him with the author's recommendations.
Old 7th August 2013, 09:54 AM   #2084
diyAudio Member

As L.C. had compared traditional PS Versus SMPS, everything else equal around, as i believe to his listening accuracy, as it correlate other various similar conclusions ( including mine ) on various amplifiers, in favor to SMPS, as they are less expensive, smaller, lighter, easier to build-in, have better efficiency, less power dissipation and generate less audible hum in case of poor grounding, i think there is no reason to not prefer SMPS.

Unless you have one over-sized linear PS apart that you want to use, for economical or other reasons.

Last edited by Esperado; 7th August 2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 7th August 2013, 10:08 AM   #2085
diyAudio Member

Thank you metallicus69 for the answer!

But in my opinion about 100$ is too much. I thought about a PSU for round 30€?!

I have a SymAsym for big speakers which need more power but the VSAA I want to use with my diy Monitors CT227 MK2 ... So I dont need as much power as the SMPS 400 is offering!

Last edited by rondadon; 7th August 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 7th August 2013, 10:15 AM   #2086
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
...SMPS, as they are less expensive...
Unfortunately they are not less expensive. Recommended Hypex SMPS cost c.100 Euros each + postage (two are needed!). It seems to me that SMPS are overpriced at this moment because they are fashionable, they should cost much less, especially when you consider that LC found out that perfectly new SMPS need elco replacement to achieve optimum performance and reliability. Only if one can make diy SMPS could that be cheaper option, but few diy-ers have capabilities and knowledge needed.

Mr. Evil/PMI capacitance multiplier is very good option at reasonable price. It is always possible to upgrade to SMPS and move cap multiplier to some other amp, so cap multiplier should be tried first...
Old 7th August 2013, 11:01 AM   #2087
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlukic View Post
Unfortunately they are not less expensive....Two are needed
I dont' know in your country, but in mine, big trasfos (torroidal or C) are sooo expensive. And, if you add soft start circuitry ?
About "two needed SMPS", i pretend one (double sized) can provide better results: more transient ability on each channel, and a better image stability, as a transiant decrease of V on one channel will be reflected to the other channel.

May-be some (L.C. ?) can make a comparison between Hypex and Connex SMPS (now, Cristi knows this topic).
May-be, too it would be a good idea to ask Hypex if they could provide as an option SMPS with the capacitance L.C preferred: it is a pity to have to change them and throw the brand new original parts.

I, too, love (and use) cap multiplier (mine is stabilized with Zener). May-be it can improve SMPS too ?

Last edited by Esperado; 7th August 2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 7th August 2013, 11:21 AM   #2088
diyAudio Member

This is not a choice made from a technical point of view. I just have the components in my hands (including trafos) to build the normal PS. If I would start from zero, I would have gone for SMPS. 100EUR sounds much, but for example the similar coldamp SMPS is double that price.
Old 7th August 2013, 12:10 PM   #2089
BYRTT is offline BYRTT  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi all
More info for PSU, you have traditionally linear/PMI CM/reg SMPS/ureg SMPS and as i see all info reported back folks are happy with result of either type PSU, so probably because of good amp and thats beatifull.
About price se Hifimediy Store they sell both EU and US and have connex regulated SMPS for exampel S300R at 42,80€ x 2=very cheap.
Myself intend to test all 4 types before making final build and report back for others to have info. But info will first be available in couble of month when progress is done.
But try the link, they also have nice DAC and USB-Audio for diy'ers.
BR Ricky
Old 7th August 2013, 12:29 PM   #2090
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
I dont' know in your country, but in mine, big trasfos (torroidal or C) are sooo expensive.
I can buy 300VA toroid of very good quality for 40 euros. So, even if two separate cap multipliers are made, each with 300VA toroid, it could be still cheaper than single Hypex SMPS.

Last edited by ivanlukic; 7th August 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!