ES9018 32bit Audio DAC kit USD89.95 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 07:50 AM   #41
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwikse View Post
A stacked card with superregs, digital input termination etc could perhaps be something to add later on. I will wait until I get the boards since I allways seem to get the ideas when I have cards and start stuffing.

Some things have been mentioned that I would like to see in future revitions though:

1. No edges on the digital lines (still there on the input lines as far as I can see by glt`s images showing rev2). **
2. Digital Termination pads along the inputs (could be left open when using external termination).
3. Seporated inputs but with jumper pads next to them for those that only will use i2s input and no external control unit (not using the mux).
4. Balanced output

I very much like the fact that it is naked. No components that I will not use since I will use an arduino controller.

**Edit: to get curved traces instead of direct angles
curved traces are really of dubious benefit for digital, for the analogue outputs yes, maybe MCLK, but its used for high speed analogue like RF primarily. I asked Acko about curved traces, hes an RF and digital systems engineer for MIL etc by trade, he uses curved traces on all analogue traces, but always angled for digital for shortest length

if you guys are really wanting to keep this cheap, you should really be group buying the common parts
Old 7th January 2013, 03:06 PM   #42
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
I will test the usb board's clock outputs tomorrow and see if they are both on at the same time.
and it seems they are.

No way I'm opening up a dac to switch a jumper every time, so either I use a PC resampler, or change to asynch. I assume I have to re-write the register to change to asynch ? I can't do this easily either so it seems the solution is the sox resampler.
Old 7th January 2013, 04:06 PM   #43
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

No register change needed (there are no values to change) for synch/asynch. The DAC doesn't really know (or care). I think asynch is the way to go or synch if you stick to 44.1 K sample rate. But since this is diy you can try different options.
Put a socket in the clock pads so different clocks can be used (sort of like Ian's FIFO)
Old 7th January 2013, 11:34 PM   #44

Thanks GLT.

I looked at the datasheet but couldn't find an answer. Actually, that datasheet seems quite spartan compared to most other DAC makers, but in fairness, it's not as bad as the one for CM6631.

CM6631_Datasheet_v0.8_ٶĿ

Anyway, I'll use the 45mhz clock for sync on 44.1/88.2 and it'll asynch on everything else. It's not a perfect situation but hey ho.

The socket is a must and I'd hoped that v2 of the PCB would have made this easier to do with some through holes. Another change for v3....

Last edited by KlipschKid; 7th January 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 8th January 2013, 01:04 AM   #45

Here's a photo of my efforts to fit an adp151 in the space around FB2, as the 3.3V digital regulator. I bent up the gnd pin of the reg before soldering, and I made a hole through to the ground plane rather than run a length of wire to a nearby ground. There's another photo to see where the hole comes out.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by KlipschKid; 8th January 2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12th January 2013, 12:29 PM   #46

I started to fit components today.

I think v3 should have 2 more changes :

-change the capacitor pads/holes for capacitors that decouple power supply for the the op amps. I understand you've tried to make this an easy build, but the spacings for the through hole caps around the op amps are too wide for suitable value caps. So, instead of putting pads for 0805 with the through holes before the pad, how about putting the pad and hole next to each other/side-by-side, so the though holes are 3mm apart ? It should also save space.

- change the oscillator pads and input holes so that the holes are dip8 spacing apart. This will allow people to fit a socket more easily if they choose to.

Cheers
Old 13th January 2013, 01:05 AM   #47

Oops, forgot to say - it'd be great if v3 also had power inputs for both left and right op amp channels. That should be quite an easy change.
Old 13th January 2013, 01:51 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

I suggest just putting the power supply rail inputs directly next to each opamp. since you dont have a regulator on the board anyway. that way you could avoid splitting the whole ground plane down the middle twice under the analogue current and voltage outs, the biggest failing on the PCB IMO
Old 13th January 2013, 02:46 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
I suggest just putting the power supply rail inputs directly next to each opamp. since you dont have a regulator on the board anyway. that way you could avoid splitting the whole ground plane down the middle twice under the analogue current and voltage outs, the biggest failing on the PCB IMO
no need to worry, a complete solid ground plane 4 layer board is coming soon for those afford to pay more this 2 layer pcb is target to the simplest and cheapest in mind to achieve the highest c/p ratio.

Actually, there are many split IV DAC design on the market, the ground plane is much more fracture.

There are also many application note told analog and digital ground should be split, but star ground is always use in tube design. Actually, ferrite bead can also add noise to the power supply line but do reduce EMI. There are also many discrete component opamp in the market. There are good and bad when something is add to the design, it's just diyer's taste. but I always think the simplest solution is the best, many of my previous design is copied. Actually, v1 pcb is the simplest welcome to copy, please keep DIYINHK logo and add the modifiy by yourname line is ok
Old 13th January 2013, 02:55 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

umm my suggestion allowed the lack of the silly splits without 4 layers... you actually dont need to use 4 layers to do this properly. since you have no onboard regulators they are there for no reason ruining stereo crosstalk in the process. your comment about splitting analogue and digital planes is meaningless, you havent even done that, youve just put random and completely destructive slices through the analogue return path. plus the ES9008 app note you copied most of the design from (well the schematic anyway) specifically mentions that being of no benefit. It also specifically says not to split the ground plane under the current outputs.

I dont think there is any danger of me copying your work...

Last edited by qusp; 13th January 2013 at 03:03 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!