ES9018 32bit Audio DAC kit USD89.95 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 07:20 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi diyinhk:

Any chance to get a mounted and tested Dac or at least a full kit?

Regards.

Alberto.
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:33 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Can a 9018 based dac (bufallo II) operate with the cheaper usb-i2s module?
Or one must buy the more expensive 9018 model?

Also, mac users need drivers? (os.x 10.5?)
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:54 PM   #23
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Bypass caps?

Regarding the bypass capacitors near the DAC chip: I was thinking of using two capacitors instead on one: one SMT 0.1 uF and also mount one with leads of 0.01 or 0.001 uF on the other side of the board. What do you think?
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:55 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrisp View Post
Can a 9018 based dac (bufallo II) operate with the cheaper usb-i2s module?
Or one must buy the more expensive 9018 model?

Also, mac users need drivers? (os.x 10.5?)
Could you restate your question?
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:47 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
Could you restate your question?
Sure..
there are three usb to i2s devices available costing 29,39,49 usd.
The first is reported as a general purpose device ie for all dacs
The second as above plus a mounted toslink input and
The third seems to be dedicated to 9018 dacs yet with the possibility to work in synchronous mode.
question is : can a 9018 owner use the first and cheapest device if he is not interested in the synchronous option?
or to put it in another way if you have a 9018 your only choice is the 49 usd unit?

the last question is quite simple.
mac users need drivers?
osx 10.5 in particular
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:05 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Any I2S interface will work with the 9018 DAC in asynch. The $49 has the advantage of using 45.x clocks so those can be (optimally) used to feed the DAC.
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:21 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Photos of V2

$99 ES9018 DIY DAC BOARD H i F i D U I N O
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:25 PM   #28
gwikse is offline gwikse  Norway
diyAudio Member

Ordered and looking forward to testing it. Thanks to glt for the tip on his site. Ordered the usb with clock for ess9018 as well and if this work as intended I will only need a optical module (TTL output) in order to get my headphone/computer setup up and running. I allready have a controller (or three...)

However, this solution looks very well suited for dual mono as the SE output then simply become mono balanced if I understand correctly?
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:39 PM   #29
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
Regarding the bypass capacitors near the DAC chip: I was thinking of using two capacitors instead on one: one SMT 0.1 uF and also mount one with leads of 0.01 or 0.001 uF on the other side of the board. What do you think?
Hi,

I've done this before, in decades, but I guess centuries would work well with the right caps... so a 1uF, 100nF and 10nF, or a 10uF, 100nF and 1nF. Two smd x7r and one through hole electro in this case ?

Someone should start a build thread in the digital line level forum section ? This thread should be for feedback to the seller ?

Cheers

Last edited by KlipschKid; 3rd January 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 5th January 2013, 03:34 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default ES9018 V2 suggestion{s}

In the pictures I see I2s long parallel wires, why not male gold pins on the CM6631 $49 receiver and female SIP socket on the DAC board? USB->i2S-ES9018 board no wires? WHat about the clocks? If the $49 board is designed for the ES9018, why not couple everything at one edge with gold pins? card to card? Or $49 CM6631 could have socket-pins socket top, long pins bottom, snip off pins if not using with ES9018 DIYINHK. You show I2s harness but it is not for sale, wrong way to do it anyway, but for DIY, you show long run of harness nobody has or needs. PLUG $49 CM6631 I2s and clocks in with SIP pins. THEN if you make a new USB receiver [for us FLAC people], it can just plug in. Maybe it has I2s isolation...Xmos, Via Vinyl Envy, blah blah blah.

I also would want easy access to V-out differential if there is such a thing with ES9018 or later in the circuit. I am a big fan of the Broskie Unbalancer and the Broskie Cathode follower both tube circuits. I am also a big fan of direct out no caps, since next stage usually HAS caps, that cuts the component count down by about 1/2 or more. Maybe bring that audio out with coaxial cable? I have some Twinax small style from 10Gb ethernet cable. Does ES9018 output I or V natively? differential V-OUTs would be GREAT somewhere on the board. I would not use anything further. Well...has anyone seen SSM2141 used in a DAC? Inferior or great? It would be an IC that does differential to single-ended conversion very precisely? Or am I wrong?

If there is a market, why not add artwork for best of breed headphone buffer IC? Not that I want to start wars on THAT topic. I do not use headphones but I can appreciate that someone must have made Magnepan-in-a can by now LoL.

I would want access to any nice modes or optional filters in the ES9018 {I know nothing of] but in DIY I would just want the very best and easiest, or a control PCB with remote for filters, volume, anti-clip? A little bit of cross-feed mixing {shhhhhhh} I have a theory ESS may already be doing that in some way. Easy to toss in a little analog cross-blend. I suppose the wizards would use Arduino or Raspberry Pi board, way over my head.

I think most of us want to make the best DAC we can AFFORD, and including principals our forum friends have taught us. I would like to think I can DIY a DAC with the CM6631 and ES9018 boards, which can blow away anything selling retail for lots more, and is improving yet too.

The FIFO buffer project I just started reading, obviously if that is a nice thing, if the edge of the DAC board can invite the FIFO... I don't know if you can hear the difference FIFO to ES9018 or not, but I'd probably pay to find out. U.fl sockets, pins, pads, sockets.. cheapest is anything you just add to the PCB artwork and let DIY take over from there.

Hide this!Advertise here!