diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Vendor's Bazaar (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/)
-   -   SB Acoustics Satori Monitor (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/220330-sb-acoustics-satori-monitor.html)

Joachim Gerhard 25th September 2012 01:15 AM

SB Acoustics Satori Monitor

I am designing a two way monitor for SB Acoustics that will eventually lead to a full documented Kit. This thread will show how i work from unpacking the drivers to measuring them, constructing the crossover and the cabinet.
When the speaker is ready it would also like to discuss the subjective impressions how they sound.

Joachim Gerhard 25th September 2012 01:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The drivers came well packed and presented, full intact. The woofers are 6 1/2 " and on the market since some month. The tweeter is brand new. When i unpacked them, there was some protection silk over the membrane. when i took it away i saw why. They are so new that the membrane was still a bit sticky from the coating but not so much as to collect dust.

Joachim Gerhard 25th September 2012 01:44 AM

Here is the preliminary data sheet of the woofer. I chose the 4 Ohm version though, partly to give the monitor a somewhat higher voltage sensitivity so i can use a smaller value resistor before the tweeter.

Joachim Gerhard 25th September 2012 01:46 AM

SB Acoustics :: 6 1/2'' SATORI MW16R

Joachim Gerhard 25th September 2012 01:47 AM

Here is the tweeter :SB Acoustics :: SATORI TW29R - OFF

merlin el mago 25th September 2012 12:52 PM

Interestint to know how do you match the xover for different sensibilities & nominal impedances, suscribed to your thread.

wintermute 25th September 2012 01:04 PM

Interesting Drivers Joachim! I'd not seen these ones before. I've got some SB12MNRX25-4's and am most impressed with the build quality and the closeness to factory specs! Unfortunately a house purchase and renovation has got in the way of completing that project for the time being. I will be very interested to follow this thread! :)

Tony.

Joachim Gerhard 25th September 2012 01:07 PM

Thanks. Yes, this drivers are made very well. I was told by the management that SB delivers raw parts to a lot of prestigious brands so they have an advantage here.

Joachim Gerhard 25th September 2012 01:17 PM

I will make my own impedance measurements today.
One first commend : The cones of the mid woofer are trumped shaped and from a paper material that contains papyrus fibers. That makes the cones very stiff. Together with the impedance compensation that results in a very extended bandwidth up to 10kHz, as good as many wide band drivers. There is a small hole in the response at ca.1.3kHz. That comes from the very low mechanical damping of the rubber surround. It would be easy to take that away by using a high damping surround or edge coating but that would have increased mechanical losses. It was decided that good dynamic behavior is more important then a small and benign hole in the response. I will measure the units i have here of cause. The data sheet is only priliminary and i am using the 4 Ohm version that may behave differently.

_henry_ 25th September 2012 01:43 PM

looking forward for your build joachim.

cheers
henry