SB Acoustics Satori Monitor - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2012, 07:08 PM   #71
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Already have Self's crossover book. Nothing new in circuits but he does a very good job of putting everything in perspective. I also ordered Architectural Acoustics; David Egan.

The psycho side of audio has interested me since college when I noticed music majors had terrible stereo's, but every one had a speed control on their turn table. All us EE's tried to piece together whatever scrap we could afford for quality. My conclusion was that different people need different clues. Pitch was all important to trained musicians. Distortion was to the rest of us.
Old 6th October 2012, 07:17 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Yes, most musicians hear in a different way. I know only some that also take care about what we hifi nuts think is good sound. I play the guitar quite decent and i came into audio because of music. For me the system has to very good to forget about the technology and listen to the music. I think modern systems even got worse in that regard. Many sound unnatural, threadbare and simply unpleasant. Why that culture got down is a mystery to me.
Old 6th October 2012, 07:23 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Well from a musicians point of view you can often hear what is necessary even with very low absolute quality. The essence of the players interpretation still comes regardless, although it must be said that you don't lose this when you have a quality system too. My guess is that most musicians probably spend far more time making their own music then listening to others too so their priorities are quite different when it comes to purchasing expensive hifi equipment.
Old 6th October 2012, 08:07 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

This is alright with me. Still from my point of view i prefer fine music with fine sound.
Somehow a high quality sound makes the music more exiting to me.
Old 6th October 2012, 08:15 PM   #75
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Im happy if I can hear what each band member is playing, and it sounds like they actually play together
well, on a recording they dont, but at least it should sound like it
drummer and bass player keeps it all together
Old 6th October 2012, 09:00 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is the fundament of much popular music. Some systems time really bad though.
I hate a boomy, overblown bass. I appreciate good extension but the quality of the bass is even more important to me. Some mini monitors do a surprising good job into fooling me that there is bass where actually there is not much under 50Hz. Martin Colloms did an interesting article about bass many years ago that inspired me.
Old 6th October 2012, 09:03 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

It is here :Basso Profundo | Stereophile.com
Old 6th October 2012, 09:05 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Here is another piece :http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/Archive_A7.pdf
Old 6th October 2012, 09:25 PM   #79
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Yes, that is the fundament of much popular music. Some systems time really bad though.
I hate a boomy, overblown bass. I appreciate good extension but the quality of the bass is even more important to me. Some mini monitors do a surprising good job into fooling me that there is bass where actually there is not much under 50Hz. Martin Colloms did an interesting article about bass many years ago that inspired me.
The King James, Version. Harry James on Sheffield. Two mics, played right through. Yes, there is a difference!
Old 6th October 2012, 09:33 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

Sure, really deep bass you feel in your body. I have that record somewhere, i will try it.
Also Symphony Phantastique on Reference Recordings ( at 45 ). That recording gives me the biggest readings of all records that i have when i measure inside my phono stage.

Hide this!Advertise here!