SB Acoustics Satori Monitor - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2013, 02:17 PM   #571
diyAudio Member

I have no information when and how the kit will be available.
What i know is that it will come over the usual distribution chains.
I plan to work out an agreement with the german distributor so that i can sell the kit too but this is not settled yet.
Old 6th May 2013, 02:21 PM   #572
diyAudio Member

Do you have a pic or link to see the resistor?
Old 6th May 2013, 02:35 PM   #573
diyAudio Member

Got it a digi-key USA
Resistors | Through Hole Resistors | DigiKey

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th May 2013, 03:07 PM   #574
diyAudio Member

Yes, that are the ones. I have tested the thin films but not the more expensive metal foils. They may be even better.
Old 6th May 2013, 03:07 PM   #575
diyAudio Member

When you use them in speakers they may need a cooling fin.
Old 6th May 2013, 03:21 PM   #576
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Old 7th May 2013, 06:13 AM   #577
diyAudio Member

Joachim,
Thank you for this most informative thread. I have used the less expensive SB Acoustics drivers, and find them to be a great value. I have only just discovered the Satori line.

I am quite interested in the decoupling mount for the Satori tweeter. I have found driver mounting to have a profound effect on articulation, "speed" and "PRaT". Naim have often used metL springs to decouple the tweeter from woofer- induced front baffle vibration. Does the Satori use a metAl spring? I hope it is not an elastomer, which has hysteresis and induces "distortion" due to nonlineRrity.

Charlie. (In USA Pacific time zone)
Old 16th May 2013, 02:20 AM   #578
diyAudio Member

As far as i can tell the front plate is made from two materials. The coupling is quite hard.
I have to ask for more details.
Old 16th May 2013, 02:32 AM   #579
diyAudio Member

I also notice that SB uses mounting "lands" at each bolt hole. I assume this is very good. I have always had to use a washer under each bolt to keep the mechanical interface hard, tight, and linear. If the entire frame contacts the front board, the interface can become time-variant due to vibration of both - and thus non-linear. It can really add to the articulation of the speaker system. So SB is doing some good things.

Chsrlie
Old 16th May 2013, 04:47 AM   #580
DEQXter is offline DEQXter  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DEQXter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
As far as i can tell the front plate is made from two materials. The coupling is quite hard.
I have to ask for more details.
Joaquim--I'll be interested in hearing what you find out. Tapping the actual tweeter vs the mounting ring produces very dissimilar sounds--the tweeter being much more damped. Also cant pick up any vibration by feel that is crossing over from one to the other so I think the decoupling claim is legit but would obviously want to see some real data before reaching that conclusion.

Also, I am Not sure if the broad flange of the tweeter is indeed floating on some viscoelastic material which covers the inside bearing surface of the mounting ring but again quite different responses to the po mans impulse test. Certainly a lot of what high end speakerdesign seems to be focusing these days on is exotic and multiple materials within the cabinetry itself, but in addition using (Von Schweikert IIRC) viscoelastic clays borrowed from submarine hull deadening efforts to "float" mount driver as opposed to screwing them directly to the baffle.

PS: With luck I will get my speakers put together over the w/e but the weather here in New Mexico has been splendid of late and the camping siren calls. Definitely no later than next week. When done I'll stat a new thread and post a link here. It will be interesting to see how the more pedestrian Usher woofers work with the Satori tweeters. Both drivers are butt ugly thats for sure--these are the ushers with no phase plugs or proper dust cap and the Sartori tweeters with the dimple. Such unprepossessing drivers just got to sound great--no shiny copper phalluses or high tech "antennae" here. Might be like wives--the best looking, blinged to the hilt may not make fo lasting matrimonial harmony. At least thats the hope--no way did I stat out in quest for the funkiest looking drives i could find. Just ended up that way.

Hide this!Advertise here!