SB Acoustics Satori Monitor - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2013, 02:57 AM   #521
diyAudio Member

A bit out of topic,

A new 8" aluminium cone (sb23nacs45-8) from sb acoustic have interesting frequency response, looks like satori ( double bumps (or is it a dip???) at the low end frequency ). Don't know how the performance of its harmonc distortion...
Old 20th March 2013, 04:02 AM   #522
diyAudio Member

I think the frequency response of that driver in the bass is an artifact of the measurement method. Under 2kHz it is so stiff that it works like a piston so in an infinite baffle response should be ruler flat to the fundamental resonance.
Old 20th March 2013, 05:05 AM   #523
diyAudio Member

I'm surprised thatt both SB 8" drivers are only 60 W
Old 20th March 2013, 05:23 AM   #524
diyAudio Member

what surprised me is that both 8" SBAcoustics drivers are only 60W
Old 20th March 2013, 06:36 AM   #525
diyAudio Member

I agree, maybe others are just more optimistic.
I praxis a modern driver does break very rarely.
I just send by accident an enormous pulse into my speakers by playing around with the PSU of my phono stage. It nearly burned my ears but the speakers survived fine.
In 20 years as a president of Audio Physic i sold 10.000thds of speakers world wide and maybe less then 1% came back. The most extreme example was a Virgo with old SEAS Ploypropylen woofers. The cones had stated to burn because the voice coil got so hot that it ignited the cones. Some parts had desoldered on the crossover boards.
I found out that the customer had thrown a party in a big barn and the amps where the biggest Krells. We are now talking about hundreds of watts over many hours.
Old 20th March 2013, 08:21 AM   #526
diyAudio Member

These Satori drivers + the 10'' SB29SWNRX-S75-6 woofer would be a very good option for a 3 way speaker. Maybe crossing them at around 200 hz
Old 25th March 2013, 08:29 PM   #527
diyAudio Member

Hi,

first I have to say: "Kudos to you! This is a really great thread."

I own a pair of two way speakers with SB26STC-C0004 and SB12NRXF25-4 (SB12 from Udo Wohlgemuth).
So I know the "regular" SB Acoustics products, but I never had the chance to listen to the Satoris.

Did anybody compare the Satoris with the "regular" ones? I would really like to know if they sound similar or pretty different. What improvements can I expect from the Satoris?

Thank you very much.
Old 25th March 2013, 08:58 PM   #528
diyAudio Member

The Satoris have lower distortion and higher bandwidth compared to the " regular " ones.
The comes in most part from the advanced motors. Non compensated inductance gives rise to bandwidth limitation and a nasty type of distortion that i call "inductance modulation ".
Old 26th March 2013, 09:56 PM   #529
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
The Satoris have lower distortion and higher bandwidth compared to the " regular " ones.
The comes in most part from the advanced motors. Non compensated inductance gives rise to bandwidth limitation and a nasty type of distortion that i call "inductance modulation ".
Hello Joachim,

thank you for the very quick reply.

That's a technical explanation. I was looking for a more subjective description of the sound.
Do they have a similar sound character? Where do you see main differences? Maybe the Satoris offer a wider sound stage or are much more clearer in the higher notes.... I don't know....

I have to admit that I only have limited experience with speakers, but in my opinion my SB12 offer a rather warm sound which is very pleasant to listen to even over a long peroid of time. Is this the same with the Satoris?
Old 27th March 2013, 10:00 PM   #530
diyAudio Member

Really a very well detailed thread! Bravo!!

I am considering building the Jeff B build from miniscus since I am newer with DIY.

I would like to alter the cabinets to look more like the Watt speaker (from watt/puppy). I am thinking the added width would allow me to add a powered woofer cabinet beneath them at some point. I believe the wider base of the Watt design will yeild more cabinet options than the thinner profile Jeff has. I sent Jeff a PM on the meniscus site but have not heard back. I know he has posted here, so I am hoping you all or Jeff might be able to weigh-in.

I would keep the front baffle angle and interior volume exactly the same. I planned to use a Velodyne DD-12 with the michrophone and Eq to help with integration.

Now for questions-

1. Any issue with my alteration to the cabinet you all see. I would hate to lose any of the hard work Jeff put into the design.

2. The kit allows for upgrades to the crossovers. I would like to get the best crossovers I can...what upgrades would you all suggest?

3. Since I am planning to use a sub with these day 1, would you all advise building these as a sealed encolosure or port them and plug them.

Thank you!

Hide this!Advertise here!