SB Acoustics Satori Monitor - Page 45 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2013, 04:34 PM   #441
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

a guess, ... at Hornslet carpentry ?
Old 11th February 2013, 04:49 PM   #442
pkwba is offline pkwba  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
It is a bit silent here because i ran into a mechanical problem. The rooting of the woofers is too tight in the factory made cabinets. I have to turn down the diameter of the woofers on a lathe a bit. It is maybe less then half of a millimeter.
I hope to solve that this week and then i will finish the speakers so that i can listen.
I encountered this bloody problem twice although it was not my fault. In my case intolerance was something around 0,3 mm (very tight routing plus quite thick layer of varnish and around 220 mm woofer diameter). I took lathing knife and first removed all the varnish from routing corners gently so that not to scratch the varnish on the front of the cabinet; in the second case I had to deepen the routing with sandpaper wrapped on the big diameter round wooden block - it helped in both cases. Lathing of transducer's frame seems to be a bit risky operation, especially since these boxes are prototypes only.
Old 11th February 2013, 06:21 PM   #443
diyAudio Member

SB made then in Indonesia. Yes, i am afraid that working on the cabinet instead of turning down the basket is a better option.
Old 12th February 2013, 04:16 AM   #444
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
After you widen the cabinet opening a bit, you can just use a black marker to darken the wood so it doesn't show when you mount the woofer.

You may also want the edge of the woofer to stick up ever so slightly (1/2 mm?) to improve appearance after you scrape off that fine finish. You could do that by adding a thin gasket behind the woofer...
Old 12th February 2013, 04:21 AM   #445
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your sugestions. Today i brought the cabinets and drivers to a lokal craftsman i trust. He decided to reduce the diameter of the woofers and not touching the cabinets.
They are just too nicely finished.
Old 13th February 2013, 06:58 PM   #446
diyAudio Member

The drivers now fit into the cabinets. It was enough to remove the rather thick powder paint at the edges. I can now measure the divers in the cabinets.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:38 AM   #447
diyAudio Member

I have now measured the drivers in the cabinet.
Here is the bass tuning. Both tubes open is a bit high but some will actually will like this when the speakers are in a bigger room, far away from walls. Stuffing one tube gives a flat result. I think this tuning option is good so i have no desire to change the cabinet design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Satori Monitor Bass ZMA.JPG (128.1 KB, 1094 views)
File Type: jpg Satori Monitor Bass one tube stuffed ZMA.JPG (151.1 KB, 1050 views)
File Type: jpg Real Satori mon bass 2 tubes.JPG (120.8 KB, 1029 views)
File Type: jpg Real Satori mon bass 1 tube.JPG (131.6 KB, 981 views)
Old 15th February 2013, 12:49 AM   #448
diyAudio Member

Some may be interested how the output of the reflex tunnels looks at higher frequencies.
Here you have one tube compared to both tubes open. There is some wide range output but it is not very peaky. I think a good result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Satori Mon output one tube.JPG (124.1 KB, 971 views)
File Type: jpg Satori Mon output two tubes.JPG (131.4 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by Joachim Gerhard; 15th February 2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:16 PM   #449
gornir is offline gornir  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Some may be interested how the output of the reflex tunnels looks at higher frequencies.
Here you have one tube compared to both tubes open. There is some wide range output but it is not very peaky. I think a good result.
Yes, those look nice!

A port tuning of 51Hz seems rather high. How large is the enclosure?

For the 4Ohm Satori I will test and try out a 20 litre enclosure and a port tuning of 34-36Hz, which gives an almost text-book QB3 alignment.

I think the Satori has the potential to be a great bass performer and it seem to be a bit wasted performance, not to use it fully.

Of course, this is also a matter of taste and room setup and there is no right or wrong here.

Regards

/Göran
Old 16th February 2013, 03:01 AM   #450
diyAudio Member

Yes, the cabinet is a bit small und the tuning high. In a bigger cabinet it will go deeper but also has to pump harder. We also wanted the cabinet to look nice and be compact.
i am thinking about designing a fitting Sub if anybody wants deeper bass.
The Guru clone cabinets are bigger and deeper tuned any way so there is already an option.
Today i finished the crossovers for the SB made cabinets. As far as i can tell my work is done now. SB will offer ready made cabinets and crossovers so you can build a professional looking speaker pair. Actually there is not much to build. Stuff the enclosure, fit the crossover, connect and mount the drivers and you are set. If you want to DIY more there is the Guru clone.
Here are the measurements and the crossover values. The crossover is a compromise between frequency linearity and best phase tracking.
It turned out to be really simple. Only 5 parts, 4 when you use a high resistance coil parallel to the tweeter.
Voltage sensitivity is about 6 dB lower then the Guru clone, partly because the woofer is 8 Ohm and partly because the ready made cabinets are much slimmer so there is a bigger baffle step to EQ.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Satori Monitor 8 Ohm frd.pdf (16.8 KB, 411 views)
File Type: pdf Satori Monitor 8 Ohm individual phase.pdf (12.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: pdf Satori Monitor 8 Ohm frd null.pdf (16.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: pdf Satori Monitor 8 Ohm imp.pdf (17.3 KB, 172 views)
File Type: pdf Satori Monitor 8 Ohm step.pdf (11.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: pdf Satori Monitor 8 Ohm etc.pdf (11.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: pdf Satori Monitor 8 Ohm TT crossover.pdf (7.6 KB, 460 views)
File Type: pdf Satori Monitor 8 Ohm HT crossover.pdf (9.6 KB, 427 views)

Last edited by Joachim Gerhard; 16th February 2013 at 03:05 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!