SB Acoustics Satori Monitor - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2012, 06:39 AM   #311
gornir is offline gornir  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Here's the frequency response of my kairos speaker on the design axis at one meter in my family room , so it won't look like an anechoic response, but I think you will get the idea.

Here's the actual measured phase response (green line) as picked up by the mic at one meter. It isn't transient pefect, but it approximates it fairly well and still offer decent tweeter protection.
Jeff B.
Very nice work!

Are your design axis the same as your tweeter-axis? How will the phase behavior change when you increase the listening distance to 2.5-3m? Do you use the 8 or 4 Ohm version of the Satori mid-woofer?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really interesting in other people's findings about this great mid-woofer.

I usually target optimal phase behavior closer to the listening distance, typically 2.5-3m.

Regards

/Göran
Old 28th December 2012, 09:43 AM   #312
diyAudio Member

Today i will design the first crossover. We know by now that because of the wide bandwidth of the drivers we have a lot of choices.
We also know from Jeff that success is more or less guarantied.
Old 28th December 2012, 10:33 AM   #313
zsolek is offline zsolek  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zsolek Send a message via MSN to zsolek Send a message via Yahoo to zsolek
I look forward to the results. They will have to make a description of the potential of sound compared generally to the Illuminator ,Revelator,Focal ,Accuton,because price for drivers are same league ,I'm waiting for best result .Good luck.
Old 28th December 2012, 10:49 AM   #314
zsolek is offline zsolek  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zsolek Send a message via MSN to zsolek Send a message via Yahoo to zsolek
I picked these drivers because I will probably use them in diy 3 way floor stand speakers which will have a 10''-12'' woofers ,but price not good option for pioneering.
Thanks for understanding,these are new drivers ,And I couldn't find sufficient informations about them.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:43 AM   #315
diyAudio Member

Yes, they are brand new. Lets see what i can do with them.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:46 AM   #316
diyAudio Member

Time-alignment measurements
Old 28th December 2012, 12:18 PM   #317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornir View Post
Very nice work!

Are your design axis the same as your tweeter-axis? How will the phase behavior change when you increase the listening distance to 2.5-3m? Do you use the 8 or 4 Ohm version of the Satori mid-woofer?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really interesting in other people's findings about this great mid-woofer.

I usually target optimal phase behavior closer to the listening distance, typically 2.5-3m.

Regards

/Göran
I am using the 8 version. My design axis is at the height of the tweeter - my stands are 25" tall. Of course that means the tweeter is off-axis about 14 degrees due to baffle tilt. I found this to be fine since the TW29 has a rsing top octave anyway.

My phase response is measured from the spike of the impluse of the MLS with excess phase removed for time of flight. At other distances it will pretty much look the same, as it will follow the frequency response. In other words if you move off axis, or get far enough away that the top end is dropping then this will be reflected in the phase response as well. Phase and frequency response are intimately tied together in this type of crossover, hence the term "minimum phase response".

Jeff
Old 28th December 2012, 12:28 PM   #318
diyAudio Member

Still i would like to see the Step Response.
Thanks for explaining though.
Old 28th December 2012, 01:28 PM   #319
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I don't know if this will be of interest or not, but here is an article I wrote explaining how to determine the relative acoustic offsets between two drivers using simple frequency response measurements and a crossover simulation program. In this version you simply assign the tweeter's acoustic center to be the reference point, even though its exact location may be unknown. Then using this method you can very precisely determine the offset distance between the reference point and the woofer's acoustic center.

As you know, the location of the acoustic center of a driver is not always obvious. For example, for many years it was regard to be the position of the voice coil, so if voice coils were aligned then we had time alignment. Later research found this to not be correct. In most midwoofers the acoustic center is actually very close to the attachment point of the coil former and cone, sometimes, depending on the driver design and how the dust cap is implemented, it can even be forward of this. With dome tweeters it is typically close to the base of the dome.

This method can very easily be used to determing how to offset drivers to exact time alignment and it easier to dial in and read than by viewing the impulse and step response.

Here is a link to a pdf file with the article in it:
https://www.box.com/s/ouxjjsx0m8bs00cil5iq

Jeff B.
Old 28th December 2012, 01:29 PM   #320
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Still i would like to see the Step Response.
Thanks for explaining though.
I have a snaphot of that saved somewhere, I've just got to see if I can find it.

Hide this!Advertise here!