SB Acoustics Satori Monitor - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2012, 08:25 AM   #191
gornir is offline gornir  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
Scanspeak do have the 6640 though, their other Beryllium dome and this doesn't have anywhere near as much droop, its breakup is also less severe too.

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d3004-664000.pdf

This driver has exceptional distortion performance as measured by others and I can't really see any reason why you'd pick the new scan tweeter over this one.
Perhaps and hopefully it's cheaper than the super expensive 6640?

/Göran
Old 14th October 2012, 12:38 PM   #192
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
The new Scan-Speak Beryllium has a rather big diameter front plate that also works a bit like a waveguide. So we see also the effect of the front plate. After EQ it can be rarther flat and has advantages off axis.
"After EQ" Well, maybe it is just me, but one of the things I expect when one jumps this high in the price line is drivers should get easier to use. The extra money should go to resolving the various issues. At the very least, they should provide sufficient application notes. Look at the information provided for a $.50 op-amp vs. a $500 tweeter. Something is not right here.
Old 14th October 2012, 01:08 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

This is not a tread about hard domes anyway. I put on this brand new information because i thought you guys are interested in what the few quality companies are planning.
It looks like that they have not given up to move forward instead of making ever cheeper parts.
Old 14th October 2012, 01:40 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

So, how easy is the TW29 to use. That is really what we are waiting for. It is not even in the catalogs here yet.
Old 14th October 2012, 01:51 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

I will build test cabinets next week. From the measurements i do not expect any bad surprises.
Old 14th October 2012, 01:58 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

Here is a PDF from the SB website
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SATORI TW29R-4.pdf (554.3 KB, 155 views)
Old 14th October 2012, 02:07 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

Found that, and one supplier on the continent, 120 eur. Not too bad.
Old 14th October 2012, 02:18 PM   #198
diyAudio Member

Sometimes you do expect things to get easier when you pay more for drivers, but this isn't necessarily the case. As Joachim pointed out, soft domes going through controlled breakup helps to maintain their frequency response high up in frequency, this also helps maintain the off axis response. Metal dome tweeters usually come with a phase shield that helps to correct for these problems. The Scan BE domes and the SEAS diamond don't have phase shields so the off axis falls faster then your standard soft dome.

The same can be true of woofers too, where the cheap driver has a high inductance. This higher inductance causes the top end to droop slightly and it can make the cheaper driver seem easier to work with as it helps to keep the response flat and to lessen the visual impact of any issues at breakup. This is why it isn't uncommon to see very expensive drivers, with their super low inductance motors, having rising responses as frequency increases. You could say that it's a lot easier to design a cheap driver then it is to design an expensive one, because the expectations are high and the driver will be pulled to bits by the DIY community, you really do have to make sure that everything is correctly designed. It isn't a surprise that the Satori took a long time to develop when you see how well behaved the cone is, how flat it's on axis, along with the very low inductance motor.

Now the new Scan BE dome is a bit of an enigma, if scan had chosen to really shape the larger front plate into a proper wave-guide, rather then the very shallow affair they chose, then this would have helped significantly in maintaining its off axis response (just like in the SEAS DXT), whilst making the integration and directivity match to woofers even easier.
Old 14th October 2012, 02:20 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Found that, and one supplier on the continent, 120 eur. Not too bad.
No that isn't so bad, it was a good design choice to keep the magnet ferrite imo as neo would only raised the price unnecessarily.
Old 14th October 2012, 03:07 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

Yes, i wanted to talk about the possibility of a phase plate too to extend the range of a hard dome. SB makes a hard dome too that has a phase plate and the dome is shaped in a way to stiffen it a bit. I think the idea came because one of the designers of the old Scan-Seak hard dome has a father that had a car repair shop. He uses a chisel to repair bumps in the metal of a crashed car. After many years of use the top of the chisel goes into a certain shape that looks a bit like the sharper side of an egg, at least that is the story told to me.

Hide this!Advertise here!