• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SB Acoustics Satori Monitor

Some years ago i designed the Sonics Aquilla that has also a slanted baffle that got more narrow to the top. Here the sides are bend so Holger is right.I called that "Butterfly".

Attachments

• Katzenbabys_018.jpg
    Katzenbabys_018.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 4,357
Why doesn't it act as an organ pipe? Or does it (it must, right?) and you're compensating for that somehow? I've been trying to make a tall bass reflex like that and coming to terms with the organ pipe issues, in theory, anyway...

I just now noticed the curved wood. Wow! I'd think they're would be a couple hot spots on either side where the convex surface focuses the sound at some frequency or another.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes, I used the 8Ω version.
Do we yet know if these woofers are going to hit the similar $65usd price point of other similar sized SB Acoustic midwoofers?
Crossover costs with good components only runs $80usd, This could be a really nice affordable TWW setup.

Last edited:
No, they are rather more expensive, sorry. At this moment i only know the retail price in Germany so i have to check what they cost in the US. I do not know the price of the tweeter yet but i can find that out for you.
My plan was to start with a L/R 4th order and then work down to Butterworth 3rd and L/R second. Ultimately i could try your Bessel approach or even first order.
In general i found that less components in a passive crossover sound better when certain limits of linearity and lobing are met. About the audibility of phase distortion a lot has being said but none conclusive. I made my own experiments in the 90th when we constructed a DSP based speaker at the University of Essex where we could switch between an L/R4 and the phase linear version of it without changing the frequency response and the lobing. That is a long story and i may tell more about it. In the meantime here is a primer on L/R networks :Linkwitz-Riley Crossovers: A Primer

Last edited: