SB Acoustics Satori Monitor - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2012, 05:05 AM   #181
diyAudio Member

Here is an easy to understand poster about the major sources of distortion in a speaker.
Study it carefully and then we are talking...
http://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klip...ity_Poster.pdf
Old 13th October 2012, 08:33 PM   #182
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

"Easy" Always a warning! There is a lot to take in there. It does not show anything about how the motor structure does not produce a uniform field in the gap and the various non-linearity that causes, or how one can use one non-linearity to counter another. Motors are complicated. It makes you wonder how speakers are as good as they are and it does give you more respect for the designers of above par drivers. This will take more than casual reading.

Paul Klipsh was well known for saying distortion and efficiency were inversely proportional. This poster would tend to say otherwise for the motor. Obviously, the efficiency with which a driver is coupled to the air will help as it reduces the displacement for a given SPL, and this shows why that is a big advantage. Unfortunately, high efficiency horns have their own set of added distortions.

A comment was made about different magnet material and how that could effect distortion. I would have thought that a given flux was a given flux. What makes the difference? I have also seen several newer drivers using a set of slugs for magnets instead of a ring. Is this just for ease of manufacturing or is there some actual difference in how the motor works.

Another thread mentioned adding an electoral short between the front and rear pole pieces reduced distortion. I have never seen that done, so I would be skeptical.

I had not heard of Kipple. Thanks.
Old 13th October 2012, 08:50 PM   #183
diyAudio Member

Is not the case for a beryllium dome that the mass is so small, that in the upper reaches it is no higher than a soft dome that has decoupled regions? I also remember when I dealt with beryllium tape drive capstan wheels, it was very non-resonant compared to the magnesium wheels. When you set one down on a desk, it has less ring to it and it was higher in frequency. On the other hand, are the voice coil, former, and glue not so much heavier than the dome that the mass is not really important?
Old 13th October 2012, 09:13 PM   #184
diyAudio Member

That diamond dome from SEAS is interesting. Hopefully SEAS will have improved their motor design so that it can compete with the Scans in non linear distortion.
Old 13th October 2012, 09:15 PM   #185
diyAudio Member

I found the problem with the SB29. It is the thin plastic back chamber. I'll post the pictures in the multi-way forum.
Old 13th October 2012, 10:26 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Yes, making drivers is still a "black art". The Satori driver started life many years agao where the main designer told me that he is working on a reference driver and he will be ready soon. Now it is here, 4 years later. I do not want to know how many prototypes have being made until this result came out.
Yes, some ring radiators have poor mechanics cheep plastic parts, resonant chambers, etc. I mentioned that.
The published results from the SEAS diamond and the Scan-Speak beryllium show my point. They are less extended in the treble because they do not decouple. In theory they have an advantage in distortion though. That is the old discussion if a hard, medium or soft membrane should be used. The soft dome guys claim sweeter and more extended sound and the hard dome guys think that piston movement is the ticket. i made good speakers with both technologies.
I have made measurements with the same drivers that used different magnet materials.
I found differences in the distortion of the current . I will look if i can find the measurements and then i post them.
Old 13th October 2012, 10:37 PM   #187
diyAudio Member

Scanspeak do have the 6640 though, their other Beryllium dome and this doesn't have anywhere near as much droop, its breakup is also less severe too.

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d3004-664000.pdf

This driver has exceptional distortion performance as measured by others and I can't really see any reason why you'd pick the new scan tweeter over this one.
Old 13th October 2012, 10:57 PM   #188
diyAudio Member

On paper, I would agree. I guess hearing is believing. Still, out of my price range. A standard air-circ is about my limit! Not sure which one to try though. d3004/662000 maybe.
Old 13th October 2012, 11:53 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

The new Scan-Speak Beryllium has a rather big diameter front plate that also works a bit like a waveguide. So we see also the effect of the front plate. After EQ it can be rarther flat and has advantages off axis.
Old 14th October 2012, 12:30 AM   #190
diyAudio Member

If it's acting like a wave-guide then its effect is only very minimal and hardly worth the extra diameter. The original revelator was much better in this regard.

Hide this!Advertise here!