• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Still no luck with DSD128 under foobar with ASIO4ALL showing @44100 HZ. With DSD64 it worked correct showing @176400 HZ. It seems driver is missing 24/352K or 24/384K mode. With ASIO and WDM support, do we need to have 352K/384K sample rate supported under sound card setting, I only have up to 192K supported.

I think the problem is with ASIO4ALL not supporting 352800 and 384000. If you select ASIO4ALL as driver in Foobar you get unsupported sample rate error message when you try to use those rates. Not sure where ASIO4ALL gets supported sample rate information, but it looks like from windows and not from amanero driver as WASAPI works fine at those pcm sample rates.

I can use combo384 for DSD128 on mac with audirvana so I know the card works, however using foobar with sacd input plugin and proxy with ASIO4ALL I can't use higher sample rates during my tests in last few days with current driver and firmware.

Dave

Has anybody used the Amanero board with a Linux based system? At the moment, my Linux based Joggler is failing to recognise the board as a DAC. Can somebody please try it with a Linux based system and provide some feedback, that would be much appreciated.

I have had mine working on both a Fedora and a Mint (Ubuntu) system without any problems. In both cases it was detected automatically without any input from me. I didn't do any thorough testing but was able to play music at 44.1, 96 and 192khz with no hiccups using the pulse audio system.

Can't help any further as I'm not very knowledgable on Linux audio.

I have discovered that the absolute inversion is an issue just for my system with wrongly wired outputs from my DAC so apologies!

I have tested the latest firmware/software with my Buffalo24 set-up and the reset works perfectly. Also no need to map channels for playing DSD. 352khz PCM plays well too. The only issue I have found is that there seems to be an absolute inversion of channels for all modes so what is left comes out of the right earpiece and vice versa. This needs to verified by other people to make sure that it is not just my set-up issue.

I have had mine working on both a Fedora and a Mint (Ubuntu) system without any problems. In both cases it was detected automatically without any input from me. I didn't do any thorough testing but was able to play music at 44.1, 96 and 192khz with no hiccups using the pulse audio system.

Can't help any further as I'm not very knowledgable on Linux audio.

Thanks for the input....much apprecaited. I will have to do some digging my end.

Has anyone been using the Amanero & BUFFALO-IIISE combo?

Just curious... I'm still not sure what to pair up the Amanero with.

+1

I've been asking the same question as it appears the only successful matches are BII and BIII. My unit was delivered last week but no implementation yet because I'd really like to avoid the relative high cost of the TP offerings. If that appears to be the only option, I can/will do that. It's just hard to believe there are no other DAC designs that can benefit from the Amareno technology.

Respectfully, I don't think that is fair or accurate. I have been reading this thread enthusiastically since the beginning and my earlier post is an accurate reporting of my experience. Since you are at the heart of this discussion, could/would you kindly provide a simple list of non-Buffalo DACs that have proven to be comparable and/or benefit form using the module?

Not looking for all the intricacies of hook-up, just a little clearer picture of the options. I'm on the list to receive JP's/Subbu DAC when it becomes available but am also interested in investigating other paths.

I honestly don't think I'm the only forum member who could find a summation of such information helpful - in one place or one post.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: It may be asking too much, but an approach similar to this could prove to clear things up. I am more than willing to help collect and organize something similar for this module.

Last edited:
I saw that the windows driver is now version 1.056, so does that mean that the revised firmware is included in with the driver? I have not yet installed the driver.

I guess the revised firmware need only be installed separately if one has already installed the driver? As per the link in earlier post - which does not appear on the website page.

Thanks

Respectfully, I don't think that is fair or accurate. I have been reading this thread enthusiastically since the beginning and my earlier post is an accurate reporting of my experience. Since you are at the heart of this discussion, could/would you kindly provide a simple list of non-Buffalo DACs that have proven to be comparable and/or benefit form using the module?

Not looking for all the intricacies of hook-up, just a little clearer picture of the options. I'm on the list to receive JP's/Subbu DAC when it becomes available but am also interested in investigating other paths.

I honestly don't think I'm the only forum member who could find a summation of such information helpful - in one place or one post.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: It may be asking too much, but an approach similar to this could prove to clear things up. I am more than willing to help collect and organize something similar for this module.

The point that qusp is making, is that there is more than one provider of DAC kits and you can take your time to research them. TPA are very popular on here, that doesn't mean they're the only one out there. Selecting a DAC kit is also more a whole of system choice not simply a matter of compatibility. In general, I'd start with a DAC and output stage that you want, then select input components that are complementary to its features.

Some of the questions that would come up are: What are your performance targets? Do you want to use an external IV or a chip with voltage output? Do you want digital volume? Do you want valves? NOS? sigma-delta? Depending on your answers to those questions you end up with a very different system and indeed depending on those I might even end up suggesting not TPA product (which I probably would anyway even if you do want a ES9012/8 DAC).

Any list of DIY kits would be contentious since the guys that sponsor and make these forums possible would feel hardly done by since the other non-sponsor providers may be seen to be getting free advertising.

See how far off topic you have to go to answer your question?

Last edited:
well I mentioned the dac IM using it with more than once, which is a sabre dac that isnt a TP product, weve mentioned the kits before in the other thread but in another price range... hint hint...

I just found 3 with google searching 'DIY es9018 dac', on the DIYA link click 'more results from DIYA' you'll get a few and depending on your pricerange I might suggest one that nobody would think. that took me less than 30seconds. make sure to go past the first page or 2, the most popular isnt always the best

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, it's working perfect with Jriver instead.

I think the problem is with ASIO4ALL not supporting 352800 and 384000. If you select ASIO4ALL as driver in Foobar you get unsupported sample rate error message when you try to use those rates. Not sure where ASIO4ALL gets supported sample rate information, but it looks like from windows and not from amanero driver as WASAPI works fine at those pcm sample rates.

I can use combo384 for DSD128 on mac with audirvana so I know the card works, however using foobar with sacd input plugin and proxy with ASIO4ALL I can't use higher sample rates during my tests in last few days with current driver and firmware.

Dave

salix KDE 64 bit and amanero board

Has anybody used the Amanero board with a Linux based system? At the moment, my Linux based Joggler is failing to recognise the board as a DAC. Can somebody please try it with a Linux based system and provide some feedback, that would be much appreciated.
hi
i use it with above version of the linux and have no problem detecting it and playing . very nice sound also no drop out even with 24/192 files

kp93300

Hi,
Amanero board arrived yesterday. My plan is to feed Buffalo III DAC with Legato 3.1.

Yesterday I had no issues playing DSD in Foobar2000 in my Dell Lattitude x64bit with Windows 7. I just installed the Windows driver from the Amanero website and the foobar components KS and SACD . KS worked very well as far as I could test (with no DAC connected).

Seems kind of hard to find information about how to hook Amanero with Buffalo III to support PCM and DSD seamlessly. I've found information about it in a few places. But all the useful information is here:
DIY HiFi H i F i D U I N O
I will try this this afternoon, please let me know your thoughts.

Another interesting thing is that nobody really made an statement about Sound Quality. Everybody seems to busy doing DIY and having lots of fun. I am expecting to have better SQ switching from Toslink to thes Amanero I2C module. At least if the people couldn't tell if SQ was improved, people should state that and not being concern about that.

Well, I will let you know how it goes, probably tomorow.

Cheers