USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2012, 04:49 AM   #981
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly chile View Post
Hi,
Amanero board arrived yesterday. My plan is to feed Buffalo III DAC with Legato 3.1.

Yesterday I had no issues playing DSD in Foobar2000 in my Dell Lattitude x64bit with Windows 7. I just installed the Windows driver from the Amanero website and the foobar components KS and SACD . KS worked very well as far as I could test (with no DAC connected).

Seems kind of hard to find information about how to hook Amanero with Buffalo III to support PCM and DSD seamlessly. I've found information about it in a few places. But all the useful information is here:
DIY HiFi H i F i D U I N O
I will try this this afternoon, please let me know your thoughts.

Another interesting thing is that nobody really made an statement about Sound Quality. Everybody seems to busy doing DIY and having lots of fun. I am expecting to have better SQ switching from Toslink to thes Amanero I2C module. At least if the people couldn't tell if SQ was improved, people should state that and not being concern about that.

Well, I will let you know how it goes, probably tomorow.

Cheers
Hi there,
It's late here, just a quick note to report that I was able to play PCM and DSD

First, it was making lot of noise. After reviewing treads and documents I realized I had swaped DSD1 with DSD2 pins. After correcting this I was able to play PCM but DSD was not working.

Finally I followed this guide:
Amanero – Buffalo II DSD with Foobar H i F i D U I N O
Installing asio and several components (Asio support, dsd_asio) was the only way I could make it. but it works and I am very happy with the overal result in my sound system.

Specialy because I am not using HiFiDuino, so i can keep it simple.
I am also removing a small Toslink module from TwistedPearAudio, since this USB interface seems far superior and I don't have space for a bunch of modules.

Probably a next update would be using RF miniconectores and adaptors to comunicate both modules, that makes lot of sence to me at this point.

Thank you everybody for the help!
Old 29th November 2012, 04:36 PM   #982
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I connected the USB board to a DIY DAC with ES9018, the playback both DSD and PCM is OK. However, the volume of sound is so small comparing with the COAX input, and it seems that the dynamic is lost.

Why? Please help.

My config is:
J.River 18 on XP, KS, Bitstreaming DoP.

Last edited by simonvan; 29th November 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 29th November 2012, 05:22 PM   #983
diyAudio Member

Are you disabled the JRiver volume control?
Old 30th November 2012, 02:02 AM   #984
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Are you disabled the JRiver volume control?
Yes, disabled volume control. In bitstreaming mode the volume can't be changed. I try it with Foobar the result is the same.
Old 30th November 2012, 02:25 AM   #985
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvan View Post
Hi,
I connected the USB board to a DIY DAC with ES9018, the playback both DSD and PCM is OK. However, the volume of sound is so small comparing with the COAX input, and it seems that the dynamic is lost.

Why? Please help.

My config is:
J.River 18 on XP, KS, Bitstreaming DoP.
which ess dac? are you comparing to other i2s sources, or is this your first i2s source? its possible that your dac does not copy the i2s and dsd inputs to all the dacs correctly.

i'll explain.

ESS dacs are as you know made up of 8 dacs internally, this means there is 8 x PCM/DSD inputs, or rather 4 x 2 channel ones. when you use COAX/SPDIF the 2 channel input is copied to all the dacs internally, when you use PCM/DSD you either have the option of multichannel input, or if you want to match the volume of SPDIF and you only have a stereo PCM signal, you need to copy the same 2 channel PCM stream to all of the dac inputs. if this hasnt been done on the dac you are using, that will explain your lower volume with PCM
Old 30th November 2012, 04:48 AM   #986
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, what qusp said.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:55 AM   #987
diyAudio Member

Thanks, qusp. Your explain is correct. I'll try it later.
Old 30th November 2012, 07:11 AM   #988
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

no problem, good luck. one catch, not all sources have enough current in their PCM output to drive all the dac cells properly, but I suspect given this unit was designed partially with an ESS dac in mind, it may be OK. ideally it would have the multiple outputs on the output header.
Old 30th November 2012, 04:25 PM   #989
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themystical View Post
I appreciate your confirmation....many thanks.
I have just realised that my Joggler is powering the Amanero board through a USB 1.1 Hub and you need a USB2 connection for UAC2 devices right? Will try and get a USB2.0 Hub tomorrow and report. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something as simple that as there are reports of the Amanero working just fine with the Squeezebox Touch with EDO which is effectively what the Joggler is configured as.
My USB2 Hub arrived today, connected it up and the result? It got recognised immediately and plays excellent music.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:21 PM   #990
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
which ess dac? are you comparing to other i2s sources, or is this your first i2s source? its possible that your dac does not copy the i2s and dsd inputs to all the dacs correctly.

i'll explain.

ESS dacs are as you know made up of 8 dacs internally, this means there is 8 x PCM/DSD inputs, or rather 4 x 2 channel ones. when you use COAX/SPDIF the 2 channel input is copied to all the dacs internally, when you use PCM/DSD you either have the option of multichannel input, or if you want to match the volume of SPDIF and you only have a stereo PCM signal, you need to copy the same 2 channel PCM stream to all of the dac inputs. if this hasnt been done on the dac you are using, that will explain your lower volume with PCM
I have the same issue using BIII, can be jumpers bad contact?

Hide this!Advertise here!