USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter - Page 66 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2012, 03:12 PM   #651
kp93300 is offline kp93300  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiegeorge View Post
I've received my nice little package from Amanero.

Will be hooking it up to my Buffalo next week, hopefully, but in the mean time I plugged in the USB to check functionality with a Windows 7 machine and all seems to be working as expected.

Many thanks to Domenico
Hi
I hope you will post some pictures of the wiring as i have buffalo 2 also.

cheers
kp93300
Old 1st November 2012, 05:42 PM   #652
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

I received mine today as well.
Old 1st November 2012, 07:52 PM   #653
dsdjoy is offline dsdjoy  Germany
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dsdjoy
I heard the Amanero device today with Buffalo-III Dac. It works perfectly, also with DSD DoP (DSD over PCM) Bitstreaming with J. River Mediacenter 18.

With my previous setup: A Musiland Monitor 03 US with tapped I2S lines feeding the DAC - I had very low, but audible, noise injected through GND/Signal line. With this setup I had to use a NVE715 isolator to get rid of noise.

Amanero board has much 'cleaner' power with reduced (non audible) noise level. I am now not using the NVE715 isolator and Amanero board subjectively still sounds 'cleaner'. Just perfekt !

The only issue I have is: When bitstreaming DSD I have a strong 'plop' noise in speakers when starting and stopping playback. Same when changing volume on my preamp (relais switched resistor volume control) during DSD playback. That happens only with DSD DoP bitstreaming, not with PCM I2S playback.

This indicates that Bufallo-III DAC generates a DC offset on DAC-output when being fed with DSD from J.River / Amanero board.

I wonder why, and if it is J.River, Amanero or Buffalo-III problem.

Did someone test DSD with Amanero & Buffalo DAC ? Interested to hear your experiences....

Last edited by dsdjoy; 1st November 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 1st November 2012, 08:42 PM   #654
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

what IV stage are you using? just using DSD instead of i2s isnt going to somehow circumvent analogue stages that dont have offset. its more likely to be a glitch/transient caused by the overlapping of different samplerates. particularly given the ESS isnt playing native DSD, its converted to 6 bit blocks internally in the dac, not acting as a 1bit analogue filter.

Last edited by qusp; 1st November 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 1st November 2012, 08:52 PM   #655
dsdjoy is offline dsdjoy  Germany
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dsdjoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
what IV stage are you using? just using DSD instead of i2s isnt going to somehow circumvent analogue stages that dont have offset.
I am using IVY-III output stage for Buffalo-III.
(Both IVY-III and my preamp are DC-coupled, balanced cabling, no capacitors in signal path)

Of course DC-offset is not generated initially by IVY-III, it must be generated by ESS9018 itselves. Assuming (theory) that ESS generates a constant current that is converted to voltage offset by I/V stage.

Maybe it is typical high-frequency DSD noise in 40khz to 100khz range that is transformed from current to Dc-offset in I/V stage ? Update: Don't think so, Burr Brown OPA1632 in IVY-III has very high bandwidth, and my preamp has -3dB point at 80khz. So it isn't high frequency that generates DC offset...must be real DC offset.

I will do some checks with a scope and report here.

For the other readers: I DON'T think it is any issue with Amanero board, looks more like an ESS DAC implementation issue - and it will occur only in the very rare case of having DC-coupled DAC and Preamp.

Last edited by dsdjoy; 1st November 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 1st November 2012, 09:55 PM   #656
BDL is offline BDL  Romania
diyAudio Member

Picked up mine today from the post office. Many thanks.
Old 1st November 2012, 10:07 PM   #657
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Default got mine

I got mine in the mail today. Thanks!
Old 1st November 2012, 11:23 PM   #658
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsdjoy View Post
I am using IVY-III output stage for Buffalo-III.
(Both IVY-III and my preamp are DC-coupled, balanced cabling, no capacitors in signal path)

Of course DC-offset is not generated initially by IVY-III, it must be generated by ESS9018 itselves. Assuming (theory) that ESS generates a constant current that is converted to voltage offset by I/V stage.

Maybe it is typical high-frequency DSD noise in 40khz to 100khz range that is transformed from current to Dc-offset in I/V stage ? Update: Don't think so, Burr Brown OPA1632 in IVY-III has very high bandwidth, and my preamp has -3dB point at 80khz. So it isn't high frequency that generates DC offset...must be real DC offset.

I will do some checks with a scope and report here.

For the other readers: I DON'T think it is any issue with Amanero board, looks more like an ESS DAC implementation issue - and it will occur only in the very rare case of having DC-coupled DAC and Preamp.
you mentioned software player itself somehow causing it, I was simply stating that was unlikely, but needed to know whether you were using a stage that could pass a DC signal through. see unless its producing an asymmetrical DC error current from the dac, it wouldnt matter, DC coupled or not it would be cancelled in the IV stage. trust me, I use a balanced headphone amp using opa1632DGN for the input on an ackodac feeding the amp. it has a DC coupled input and output, with the ESS AVCC/2 DC offset fed directly to it and its completely cancelled in the headphone, its a common mode signal.

i'm sticking by my theory, have you measured it as DC or it just sounds like a transient? DC coupled or not, (more likely to come from a glitch than a signal), DC offset is near impossible to be caused with opa1632, though it will reproduce it. I believe its the transition from DSD to PCM.

I guess you are not using the DSD filter setting? are you switching from one to the other? ESS will not be switching automatically from PCM to DSD and back again, but your software will be and over this transition it could possibly have issues

Last edited by qusp; 1st November 2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:38 PM   #659
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
Have connected the OEM Combo384 Module to my MPD server
I am playing with outputs to the internal SPDIF (IRQ11), the WaveIO USB -> I2S (IRQ24) and the OEM Combo384 Module (IRQ25).

The general USB 2.0 Audio adapters / modules have generated so much interrupts that the CPU usage for USB IRQ have been in the area 2.7% to 8.3% depending on the USB port used (USB 2/3) and the USB adapter itself and the samplerate used on Intel i5 hardware platforms.
The WaveIO and the QNKTC 1.1 have comparable high interrupt levels and I have been able to reduce the CPU usage for USB IRQ to some extent, but the variation between the USB 2.0 Audio adapters when playing on USB 2.0 ports and with 44.1k/16bit have been within 5% deviation.

When I now connected the OEM Combo384 Module it generates less than 1/10 of the interrupts compared to all the other USB 2.0 Audio adapters / modules I have tested

But as you can see - the internal SPDIF (possibly also direct I2S output) generates less than 1/10 of the interrupts of the OEM Combo384 Module.
I'm actually surprised that USB is being used at all, Firewire is far superior and is IP based, and its widely available and if not immediatley available, easy to obtain, so why are we using USB again? which is a very unstable platform to begin with for audio...

The USB bus would be congested to hell if for example you were using external hard drives and USB flash drives, webcams, what have you, which most of us have plugged in constantly on our desktop PC's

Not only that but all of those wonderfully convenient usb devices you have on your desk and plugged into your pc will pickup all of the AC and RF hum and dump it all right onto the USB interface, which then produces ground loops and goes straight into your I2S bus.

And.. no ASIO, way to go in cutting out the entire Windows XP userbase.. lol though it does support Kernel Streaming for Foobar2000...

No thanks!, I'll skip this one and wait until a Thunderbolt based device brings an interface to I2S before I bite.

Last edited by freax; 1st November 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 2nd November 2012, 06:59 AM   #660
duster1 is offline duster1  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I've received the package from Amanero

Thank you!

Hide this!Advertise here!