USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter - Page 45 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2012, 10:14 PM   #441
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I saw that yesterday and I will definately check it out. Looks promising.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:38 PM   #442
jrobson is offline jrobson  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi, as said before, first try without, if you have noise then you need the isolation circuit. I tried to first cut a usb cable and feed in the 5v from the DAC output, but it didn't work, I was worried I might cause a problem on the amanero board an decided to play it safe using the recommended circuit. I ended up milling the boards since its very difficult to otherwise connect the isolator.

The buffalo is actually very easy to assemble, the way they send the kits out is great, all components nicely labelled, it's very quick to build.
Old 1st October 2012, 01:08 AM   #443
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i'll second the recommendation for that 9023 kit, or Ackos 9023 kit. I would not recommend either Acko's AKD12 or AKD18, or BIII

it was already discussed by Amanero that you couldnt cut the USB cable, no point pursuing that.

jrobson, i'm sorry i'm going to disagree, as a dac just a simple dac with power supply, sure the BII and to a lesser extent BIII are simple to hook up (i've owned 2 x BII, the buff32 before, before moving towards the ackodacs, so i'm familiar), but the sprawling pile of ever increasing modules that is the BIII system is NOT a beginner build, or a cheap build. (some of that applies to ackodac too) Unfortunately the way the kits are sent out fosters a lack of thinking, so many people end up putting their system, which IS a complex system; together without knowing anything much about the circuit. then when they start to add non standard IVs, different power supplies, i2s reclockers etc they end up with a huge collection of devices and no real idea how it works still, so when something goes wrong, they dont know where to start and the forum ends up wearing the brunt of this support.

do remember, you milled your own PCB, bcbob still didnt know what it was for after 2-3 pages of conversation..... with me?

no offense bob, really, its clear you arent silly, to the point you are considering your own current limitations. not everyone does that.

can I just show you something. this is a dual mono BIII, with arduino and SEN IV. aside from a few nonstandard regs, the SEN IV and the batteries, this is pretty stock and doesnt even appear to include much by way of USB, master clocking, MUX etc. I know it doesnt have to be quite this nuts, but the way they all plug together isnt conducive to a neat layout, this guy isnt an inexperienced DIYer either. that cant be good… looks like a bunch of solar flares
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by qusp; 1st October 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 1st October 2012, 02:33 AM   #444
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

hmm... that blue/gray thing towards the back in the middle looks like Castle Grayskull!

I have the power!!!!

Seriously though... that's terrifying.
Old 1st October 2012, 03:32 AM   #445
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
hmm... that blue/gray thing towards the back in the middle looks like Castle Grayskull!

I have the power!!!!

Seriously though... that's terrifying.
I agree, scary!

I think qusp could/should be more clear, that is not *his* monstrosity, just another that was posted recently on the forum.
Old 1st October 2012, 04:33 AM   #446
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I thought I was reasonably clear about that and I think Owen understood. but yeah I have one of my own (but ackodac and everything else different too) that size, just not quite that scary. we should leave it though, he was pretty clear its a breadboard build and wouldnt remain like that, it wasnt my intention to ridicule; but all the same …

my main point being simply how easy it is for things to get totally out of control, even for experienced builders

also opc, I spat my coffee out when you made mention of Castle Greyskull, I grew up with that stuff, havent thought about it for years, but I thought a similar thing when I saw the lego AC mains relay switching. that is whats going on back there isnt it?

Last edited by qusp; 1st October 2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 1st October 2012, 04:46 AM   #447
diyAudio Member

It was certainly not my intention to ridicule either, just that you really need to keep a lot of things in mind when wiring something like that up, especially if you do part then come back months later to add/change something else. I was pretty certain that Owen would pick that it wasn't yours but not sure if all of the readers of this thread in the future would.

By way of comparison, I have created 3 or 4 A3 drawings and a stack of reports for control system PLCs with what boils down to a few analogue 4-20mA inputs, and RS485/232 connection or two and a few digital outputs, generally far less complicated than a BIII system. The only difference being that cable lengths are 10s of meters. This is similar to the above in that each 'module' can be treated as a black box in effect, this is the basic principal that the TPA and many other DIY kits are built on, to obfuscate the pedantic details of each system and let you, the DIYer, deal with the interfacing.

For something similar going in an industrial application you would have documentation pack like:
P&I Diagram - showing high level interaction of mechanical and electrical system,
Schematic,
Termination Diagram,
Specification for the control system including the equipment datasheets,
Specification for each equipment type used

Last edited by hochopeper; 1st October 2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:31 AM   #448
diyAudio Member

I added myself to the spreadsheet for x1 piece.

Thanks, Amanero.

austerlai

Last edited by austerlai; 1st October 2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 1st October 2012, 03:30 PM   #449
shoom is offline shoom  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi All
Just to add my name to the 9023 recommendation.
I have a slightly different implementation (I2S input)but its a great sounding DAC and ideal for a first time builder. It gave me the opportunity to try SMD work which was really useful for future builds.
Fun to build and good sounding.
I do have some opinions on some of the above posts but hey let’s not go toooo OT.
Old 1st October 2012, 04:09 PM   #450
diyAudio Member

Hi all
Sorry for the thread hijacking...
If you're looking for a good DIY ES9023 DAC with I2S input, have a look there :
ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest
It's called Subbu's DAC V3, available in SE or BAL version with dedicated PSU (pre-regulator) and 4 LDO on DAC board.
Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!