USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter - Page 105 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2012, 02:27 PM   #1041
diyAudio Member

Hi there,

1. I want to report that until now, DSD has worked with JRiver 18 (you have to enable DoP in the settings). I verified the DSD ON pin in the amanero board. Before, Jriver was converting to PCM but it sounded distorted, especially in program peaks or when raising DAC's internals volume. I think it's due to the fact that the DAC wasn't design to work with PCM at such a high sample rate (i am guessing here).

2. Now that DSD is working, I have been able to notice how suceptible is the cable conexion in between the Amanero board and the DAC board. I experiment different kind of hissings or noises that I was able to remove adding more Ground return cables between Amanero and DAC.
Noises are very subtle, and dont act as a Toslink unlock where music just stops for a bit. That makes me wonder , how much can I clean the sound?
I am wondering also how to improve connection even more (Buffalo III and Amanero).
Old 10th December 2012, 02:32 PM   #1042
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzz View Post
I did a small adapter PCB to conveniently replace the cs8412 in my dac with the amanero for experimental purposes.

The unmounted positions are for a LTC6655.
Thats a very good idea Tazzz!
In my case, Buffalo III and Amanero, I will try do to something similar but with this type of IDE connectors (don't know the name).
My idea is to reduce signal path distance and to have a closer Ground return for every signal.

Cheers,
Old 10th December 2012, 03:38 PM   #1043
Eric06 is offline Eric06  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseas View Post
Soooooo have we reached the number for the gb to start??
See post #1027
Old 10th December 2012, 07:24 PM   #1044
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
nice choice of reference, you are making a flea type buffered ref/reg?

not sure if youve used this part before? it really likes a larger cap for the filter/bypass for lowest noise. I use film

It's just the simple datasheet application example with an emitter follower circuit for boosted output current.

Im going to use a 22uF polymer capacitor (+ all the on-board ceramics), looking at the block diagram it should be possible to use gain phase analyzer to see if something more/else is needed to avoid noise peaking and poor step load response.
Old 10th December 2012, 07:25 PM   #1045
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseas View Post
Soooooo have we reached the number for the gb to start??
Yes and mine has already shipped. He's fast...
Old 11th December 2012, 04:39 AM   #1046
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly chile View Post
Thats a very good idea Tazzz!
In my case, Buffalo III and Amanero, I will try do to something similar but with this type of IDE connectors (don't know the name).
My idea is to reduce signal path distance and to have a closer Ground return for every signal.

Cheers,
if you are making a PCB and the distance isnt too large. if you cannot use u.fl connectors you can try FFC/FPCconnectors and cables like those used in phones and also on the fifo
Old 11th December 2012, 04:43 AM   #1047
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzz View Post
It's just the simple datasheet application example with an emitter follower circuit for boosted output current.

Im going to use a 22uF polymer capacitor (+ all the on-board ceramics), looking at the block diagram it should be possible to use gain phase analyzer to see if something more/else is needed to avoid noise peaking and poor step load response.
I dont necessarily mean size, but rather material. film just works out to be lower noise in this application, however the size needed does tend to dominate the layout so it needs to be kind of straddling over the rest of the circuit to keep as compact as possible.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:52 AM   #1048
diyAudio Member

If I were driving just a singular oscillator I would probably use something like wima MKS2 XL but since I do not want to cut up the amanero board Im going to have all those ceramics on there anyway so I think a polymer cap will be good enough.

Besides the application note does not mention polymer caps, do you or anybody else have further information with regard to their noise characteristics?
Old 11th December 2012, 02:20 PM   #1049
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
if you are making a PCB and the distance isnt too large. if you cannot use u.fl connectors you can try FFC/FPCconnectors and cables like those used in phones and also on the fifo
The Bufalo and Amanero already have those connectores in place.
I also have limited space for the Amanero board in my enclosure.

So the plan is to build an as small as possible PCB for the routing, with two female connectors, so the Amanero will rest just above the Buffalo DAC.
mechanically, it will rest just on the connectors.
I think 40 pins for bufallo and 20 pins for Amanero.
Old 11th December 2012, 02:37 PM   #1050
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Bufalo and Amanero already have those connectores in place.
no they dont, they have molex type 2.54mm pin connectors, one is designed for high speed data and has some impedance control measures, the other is used for easy availability/accessibility to hobbiests.

ZIF/FFC/FPC uses what is effectively a flexible thin stripline PCB as a cable

Last edited by qusp; 11th December 2012 at 02:50 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!