ODAC offerings from Various Vendors - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Do you want an ODAC back panel for the O2?
yes for sure! 28 43.08%
I want to use the ODAC as stand alone unit. 20 30.77%
I'd rather wait for the ODA... 17 26.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th April 2012, 02:38 AM   #31
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Thread reopened with ODAC now as GeorgeBoudreau
Old 19th April 2012, 02:43 AM   #32
sorue is offline sorue  Singapore
diyAudio Member

In for 2
Old 19th April 2012, 03:12 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

So our secret suspicions about who ODAC was have been confirmed, I guess we can recognize the human judgement error and move on.

So... who's building these things? I've got a nearby company (a division of Computrol) that specializes in smaller production runs and box builds. I was wondering about the ins and outs of contracted production.

The most interesting question I have is how is quality assurance/control managed?
Old 19th April 2012, 04:17 AM   #34
Turbon is online now Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks George for starting, keep it coming here and the whining will eventually stop.

Brgds
Old 19th April 2012, 04:51 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanolson View Post
So our secret suspicions about who ODAC was have been confirmed, I guess we can recognize the human judgement error and move on.
Agreed!

So now what I'm trying to rationalise is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwavguyblog
It has its own low phase noise 12 Mhz crystal controlled oscillator that’s used to generate the MCLK and SCLK audio clocks. from - ODAC Released
Against this from iancanada in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
each signal generated by a clock will roughly 6dB more phase noise than that clock
Surely then 44.1kHz audio will all have PLL generated clocks? Was any testing done with dedicated XO to suit each 44.1 and 48 and their respective multiples?

Basically: was their testing done to verify ESS's claims about jitter rejection of their DAC chips?
Old 19th April 2012, 07:00 AM   #36
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBoudreau View Post
I don't know.. Someone on the O2 thread asked why there wasn't an ODAC thread. I waited and since there were no takers I created it.
Nothing sinister and since there is no moderation I exert no control on the contents.

Once there is more information available on the ODAC I expect the thread to pick up. Right now it is just a place holder.
nothing sinister? no just cold hard capitalism, you are manufacturing and selling the product and you posted a thread in the non commercial area and you used a fake account started in the products name to do so. George, what were you thinking?

i'm happy to leave it lie and as mentioned, see it as an error in judgement, but I have to say its not a good start. complaining of manufacturers misrepresenting the data while misrepresenting yourself

actually no: I dont think this thread should be here, it should be in the vendors area, there isnt anything diy about it. no objections to the project, though i'm not looking forward to a lot of objectivity thugs now armed with an article on digital, going around telling people their diy not commercial fun is a fruitless/pointless pursuit

Last edited by qusp; 19th April 2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 19th April 2012, 07:15 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Anybody know if we can hook up something like a Volumite controller to this thing? I'm thinking about having it feed powered speakers but managing the volume on the DAC chip for maximum DNR fidelity (versus PC volume control) and the convenience of a single knob.
Old 19th April 2012, 07:22 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

My understanding is the 9023 DAC has no external control interface like the higher end ESS chips. So the DAC based vol control like a volumite or similar allows wouldn't be possible.
Old 19th April 2012, 07:28 AM   #39
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

no, the es9023 doesnt have volume control
Old 19th April 2012, 07:41 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

I was just about to post the same thing regarding vol control...

Hide this!Advertise here!