ODAC offerings from Various Vendors - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Do you want an ODAC back panel for the O2?
yes for sure! 28 43.08%
I want to use the ODAC as stand alone unit. 20 30.77%
I'd rather wait for the ODA... 17 26.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th May 2012, 09:57 AM   #201
jtktam is offline jtktam  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdman View Post
yeah, regarding the usb, I would probably drill it out and then work it with a dremel/file. I suprised it was not designed to be used in this manner as it seems to work well.
Honestly i would disagree on the "as it seems to work well" because it's at the edge of the case and faceplate, it doesn't work for me (design wise)

the original location (by the batteries) pretty much centers the usb connector on the face plate, which is the intended use. also since you are bounded by your usb port, it doesn't really matter if it's portable any more (so no need for batteries)

-joe
Old 29th May 2012, 12:50 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelle Schrijver View Post
I would suspect the coil that is touching the case is not going to be a problem, since the top looks plastic (an isolator). As far as I know the outside of the USB connector is also connected to earth and can potentially cause earth loops. But that is easily heard. Else put some isolation tape on top to isolate it.

I was wondering if you only use 3 screws for the back plate, since the ODAC pcb is in the way of the screw thread in the case. And how much pressure is put on the O2 pcb by this. I would be nervous if there is pressure on the bottom near the USB connector, that this would flex the 02 pcb leading to breakage.
Good points, I will be "trimming/filing" the ODAC pcb slightly, the pics you see are of a quick test fit. I like the isolation tape idea and will use it between the case and the two pcb's.
Old 29th May 2012, 12:59 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtktam View Post
Honestly i would disagree on the "as it seems to work well" because it's at the edge of the case and faceplate, it doesn't work for me (design wise)

the original location (by the batteries) pretty much centers the usb connector on the face plate, which is the intended use. also since you are bounded by your usb port, it doesn't really matter if it's portable any more (so no need for batteries)

-joe
I agree that the usb port being near the edge of the case is not ideal, but being able to use this with my laptop/netbook is the better tradeoff for me.

I do have a couple questions, does the ODAC install disable the line in jack of the O2? What type/gauge of wire is recommended for connecting the ODAC to the O2?
Old 29th May 2012, 09:23 PM   #204
4nradio is offline 4nradio  United States
diyAudio Member

This coil is an inductor, and the black material is not plastic, but a ferritic material (the coil form). *Most* ferrite mixes are not conductive. In any event, isolating it with a thin piece of acetate sheeting or chunk of electrical tape, etc. would be a good practice.

[QUOTE=Jelle Schrijver;3040817]I would suspect the coil that is touching the case is not going to be a problem, since the top looks plastic (an isolator). As far as I know the outside of the USB connector is also connected to earth and can potentially cause earth loops. But that is easily heard. Else put some isolation tape on top to isolate it.
Old 29th May 2012, 11:00 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nradio View Post
This coil is an inductor, and the black material is not plastic, but a ferritic material (the coil form). *Most* ferrite mixes are not conductive. In any event, isolating it with a thin piece of acetate sheeting or chunk of electrical tape, etc. would be a good practice.

4n, thanks for the advice.
Old 30th May 2012, 01:59 AM   #206
diyAudio Member

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WpvaTJ2T3FPbXc

still time to get in on one

-joe
Old 1st June 2012, 04:55 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtktam View Post
Hey, Joe. My kit just arrived! Looks like it's all here. Thanks.
Old 1st June 2012, 07:27 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

All assembled and sound great! Thanks, Joe.
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:05 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

Default pics: ODAC with O2

I bought the O2 a couple of months ago from Joseph Tam at Audio Poutine. It was just recently joined by little brother ODAC, also built by Joe. A handsome duo, to be sure (the O2 and ODAC, not me and Joe). Really nice work. They both have RCA outs and the O2 has 1/4" headphone jack. And both sound amazing. I bought a 2nd O2 (blue this time, looks really sharp) for a good friend who lives in Europe; I just might have to get him the matching ODAC as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3 (2).jpg (222.5 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2 (2).jpg (297.8 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2 (1).jpg (258.6 KB, 191 views)
Old 4th June 2012, 12:33 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Fully assembled odac with your choice of silver or gold CMC rca jacks - $150 + shipping ($15 in usa/canada, $20 elsewhere)

Parts available seperately, check out the google spreadsheet below

-joe

Hide this!Advertise here!