Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Supra doesn't seem to specify anything about the twisting (typically twists/meter is specified).

Yeah, it's a shame. The Rondo is twisted, the Ply model is screened, but from the cross section it doesn't look like it's twisted, but to me the the Linc is twisted and screened:

Supra Cables

But whatever "short pitch twisting" means is anyone's guess.

I couldn't care less about brand, and have no affiliation with Supra or anything, it's just one of the usual suspects that I found to offer twisted and/or screened speakers cables.

Last edited:
Pitch in this context refers to the angle of the twist, as in the pitch of a propeller (expressed in inches - 12 inch pitch meaning the propeller is pulled forward 12" with one revolution). There is supposed to be a pitch appropriate to 50 Hz which is not as short as the pitch to cancel 60Hz, although I don't know the specifics.

Pitch in this context refers to the angle of the twist, as in the pitch of a propeller (expressed in inches - 12 inch pitch meaning the propeller is pulled forward 12" with one revolution). There is supposed to be a pitch appropriate to 50 Hz which is not as short as the pitch to cancel 60Hz, although I don't know the specifics.

As a general rule, the tighter (shorter) the pitch, the better the noise immunity, but that is a very rough rule. In multi-pair cables, you want each pair to have a different pitch from the others.

Going back to the original question, the only data I seem to have is from ethernet cabling (UTP), and there we are talking about GHz frequencies, so not really relevant to speaker cables - but even there the benefit of shielding is only apparent when several cables have to share the same conduit.

Surely wouldn't matter for the Hypex, but what about the rest of the system? Having a powerful long wave transmitter antenna close to a phono pre may not be the wisest decision.

I think that the twisting is better protection than shielding even against any possible radiated energy from the speaker leads. Twisting deals with electromagnetic fields, while shielding is for electrostatic fields.

What & where is the link? This is on the home page from hypex.nl

Attachments

• filter.JPG
    filter.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 594
Yesterday I rearranged my rack in order to be able to better separate the power cords from the signal cables. In the evening I happened to pass near the loudspeakers when no music was playing and realized that there was quite a hum. I was used to some hum from the phono amp, but the noise on the DAC channel is different and seems to be also more pronounced. Switching off the DAC it went away (whatever that means). Moving some of the signal cables at the back didn't have audible effects with DAC on. I am not enough of an expert to understand where the hum comes from. And I am not even sure if the hum was there before I rearranged the rack and I just didn't notice. Inside the amp I did all the twisting that is recommended, including of course the loudspeaker wiring. Does it make any sense to twist the loudspeaker cables at the outside, too (before they vanish inside the wall that would be, some 25 inches....)
Any suggestions would be welcome

You need to know if it hum generated by the DAC, if it is picked up by the wire, or if it is a problem with the wire. If the DAC was silent before then that's probably not the issue (unless something happened when you re-arranged the rack). When moving the components and reconnecting the cables, you may have created a connection problem with the cable connectors. If you temporarily route the cable in front of the rack to avoid all other cables and the hum goes away, then it picking up hum from somewhere. Try another cable.

Yesterday I rearranged my rack in order to be able to better separate the power cords from the signal cables. In the evening I happened to pass near the loudspeakers when no music was playing and realized that there was quite a hum. I was used to some hum from the phono amp, but the noise on the DAC channel is different and seems to be also more pronounced. Switching off the DAC it went away (whatever that means). Moving some of the signal cables at the back didn't have audible effects with DAC on. I am not enough of an expert to understand where the hum comes from. And I am not even sure if the hum was there before I rearranged the rack and I just didn't notice. Inside the amp I did all the twisting that is recommended, including of course the loudspeaker wiring. Does it make any sense to twist the loudspeaker cables at the outside, too (before they vanish inside the wall that would be, some 25 inches....)
Any suggestions would be welcome
May be a ground-loop hum. Start the trouble-shooting process by eliminating each piece of the puzzle until it returns. When it does you'll be closer to the answer. Are these DIY components we're talking about? Check for proper internal grounding and also perhaps faulty inter-connects.

May be a ground-loop hum. Start the trouble-shooting process by eliminating each piece of the puzzle until it returns. When it does you'll be closer to the answer. Are these DIY components we're talking about? Check for proper internal grounding and also perhaps faulty inter-connects.
The only DIY components are the Ncore amps. Will try and work piece by piece at the weekend when I have some time at my hands, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.