Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
i ordered a few ncore/power supplies that are said to be ready wk21, how accurate are they with the weeks and all.

asides from the ncore case i see a member having available, are there any enclosures out there that would work? i am looking for the smallest possible case for monoblock setup.

Look in this thread for pictures and specs of my enclosures. I'm still very happy with my NCore's.

AHH, I knew it was something this simple. Back to lair..

Quick question. I had the NAPON connected to the one metal leg of the power supply, mainly becuase I saw someone else do it that way.. and it still does not work? Should I be using the ground on the XLR?

THanks

Yetis, I would refer you to look at Figure 2 on page 12 of the NC400 data sheet. The preferred connection is for NAMPON (and XLR pin 1) to be tied to chassis ground. On my NC400's I wired NAMPON directly to XLR pin 1 as I don't have mine in chassis yet and they worked flawlessly. Good luck.

The amps will not go in sleep mode when idle. (answering the unanswered part, nAMPON question was answered by earflappin)

Without a power button they will be powered up all the time while the AC is connected to the PS. For my amps I am planning to have a power switch on the AC - there are AC sockets with integrated rocker switch.

I think a lot of people do that (leave their amps continuously powered-on, feeling they sound better that way) but I am thinking it might reduce the lifetime of the amps.

A little help.

... My other question is on the power button. I have opted not to have one. If I read the directions correctly, if you don't add a power button, the amps will just go into sleep mode when idle? Thus, I did nothing with the NAPON cable. Am I correct here? ...

Last edited:
Note...

That with most well designed (with robust heat management) solid state components, leaving them on all of the time will usually imcrease their lifespan. The biggest stress to solid state components happens when they are turned on, so limiting off/on cycles (keeping them powered up) increases their lifespan.
Now, I am not entirely sure if the above applies directly to SMPS, but I suspect the same is true for them. Perhaps someone from Hypex might care to comment. Certainly heat stress should present no problem with a nCore amp being left on 24/7.

RE, the ampon connection, do I understand that the amp will work fine with no connection to ampon, and that ampon only need be connected if one wants to be able to use the standby mode?

Last edited:
just finished reading the last few pages of this thread and the AudioCircle NCORE reviews thread.
so far most if not all comments have been appreciative.
still haven't ordered myself but I feel it's only a matter of time.
meanwhile the SiliconRay enclosure arrived and I'm looking currently looking for a CNC shop, seems like these are very difficult to find around here.

Somewhat...

the amp will work correctly without the Nampon connected, it will be in standby mode

:)

Alan Garren

Confused here... I would expect the amp will not "work" in standby, that is, there would be no output signal...

I ask, because I typically run my system balanced, with floating grounds, and no AC ground connection. Can Nampon be connected solely to the ground reference of the SMPS, without connection to XLR pin 1? Consider a non metallic enclosure, with no AC ground connection, and just connecting Nampon at the ground referenced standoff of the SMPS 600.

Confused here... I would expect the amp will not "work" in standby, that is, there would be no output signal...

I ask, because I typically run my system balanced, with floating grounds, and no AC ground connection. Can Nampon be connected solely to the ground reference of the SMPS, without connection to XLR pin 1? Consider a non metallic enclosure, with no AC ground connection, and just connecting Nampon at the ground referenced standoff of the SMPS 600.

working means acting correctly. period.

the amp is built to go into standby when there is no ground connection to the Nampon connection. Hence the amp is working correctly.

follow the very specific and correct directions in the Hypex documentation, it will then be correct. If they make no sense to you, hire someone that it does make sense to or go off and study till it does make sense. This is DIY, which means Do It YOURSELF.

Status
Not open for further replies.