Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the frontend i think you can still use a smps because i saw the hxr modules on the Ncore. As i said before with them there was no difference between linear and smps supply, when testing with the UCD.

But you can only tell when trying.

I can not wait to get my hands on a pair of Ncores to try it out. Two times they where sold out before i could order and i do not like to preorder. I have bad experience with preorder and prepayment. So i just wait.

Last edited:
It has been reported that a dedicated smps600 for each ncore sounds better than two ncores sharing one smps600 though some claim that it should not matter for technical reasons.

Who has claimed that, and where, and has it been more than just a subjective opinion? It is clearly stated in the specs that sharing a smps will limit the continuous power output of the amps, so there could be differences when playing extremely loud, but I can't see why there would be a difference at realistic listening levels.

Now i only read about ncore with smps, why?.

Well, as you might have read, some people have tried linear supplies and have had problems.

To me it feels a bit silly to go for a class D amp, and then negate many of the benefits (efficiency, light weight, small size, high power capacity) by a massive, bulky, inefficient (and unregulated) linear supply because you don't like switchjing technology (and that is exactly what class D is).

Bruno designed the nc400 and smps600 to work together, and if you didn't think Bruno knows what he is doing, you probably wouldn't have gotten the nc400 in the first place.

But this is of course diyaudio, so I realize that for many people doing things differently and in an individual way is more important than doing it right... :)

I can not wait to get my hands on a pair of Ncores to try it out. Two times they where sold out before i could order and i do not like to preorder. I have bad experience with preorder and prepayment. So i just wait.

I don't know for sure, but it appears that hypex only makes the nc400 in batches based on pre-orders, so that might never have them "in stock", to be ordered off the shelf. But that is pure speculation on my part.

Look to their website "Official release dates for the V8 and V12 are TBD but are anticipated to be 4th quarter of 2009." and it is still not on their website I presume it is a kind of Vapor ware...

I only found the web site after someone told me how good the sound was. Then again, comparing any PS to batteries is just unfair, they offer unmatchable qualities. And a high efficiency amp is where batteries can really be practical.

Well, as you might have read, some people have tried linear supplies and have had problems.

To me it feels a bit silly to go for a class D amp, and then negate many of the benefits (efficiency, light weight, small size, high power capacity) by a massive, bulky, inefficient (and unregulated) linear supply because you don't like switchjing technology (and that is exactly what class D is).

Bruno designed the nc400 and smps600 to work together, and if you didn't think Bruno knows what he is doing, you probably wouldn't have gotten the nc400 in the first place.

But this is of course diyaudio, so I realize that for many people doing things differently and in an individual way is more important than doing it right... :)

Well sometime in a couple of weeks we will do a competition between. SMPS and linear supply. My personal believe is that the linear is way better !

If my NCores and SMPS's are finally in my posession (it takes forever... almost 2 month after order and prepayment now and still waiting...) I will listen to it. I have a very good power amp to compare it to. If it doesn't convince me in this way, I will try it with decent linear supply to check for differences in sound.

Well sometime in a couple of weeks we will do a competition between. SMPS and linear supply.

Looking forward to that, especially if it is a proper double-blind (otherwise it will only be a competition between subjective perceptions).

My personal believe is that the linear is way better !

Sure - and nothing wrong with that, as long as everybody realizes that that is what it is - a personal belief.

Looking forward to that, especially if it is a proper double-blind (otherwise it will only be a competition between subjective perceptions).

Sure - and nothing wrong with that, as long as everybody realizes that that is what it is - a personal belief.

So it is not possible to argue with you at all. You will always use that one !

Several very exsperienced listeners will never be enough to convince you.

So it is not possible to argue with you at all. You will always use that one!

Well - if it is acknowledged to be subjective, there is no *need* to argue.

Several very exsperienced listeners will never be enough to convince you.

No. Because I have done enough experiments to know how much your brain gets in the way between the actual air waves that hit your ear and what you think you hear. I could tell endless stories of "golden ears" and what they thought they were hearing vs what the sounds really were. I assume you have red "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.