Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you just divide the stranded wires into two bunches, tin them with solder and make your own integrated spades and forgo the crimp on spades ???

yes, sort of. it is generally not recommended to solder leads before inserting them into a compression fitting. solder "flows" and it will become "less compressed" over time. so make it even easier, divide and insert, screw down!

you don't need to twist the wire to insert it, if it helps to twist slightly to keep it together go ahead, but it will lay with the least bulk if its less twisted.

now if you wanted to gold plate the wire ends before you inserted them.... :) (where's that irony icon)

cheers

Alan

Another ncore listening experience -head to head with AELPH F5

I have just returned from visiting Olle in Stockholm where we spend about 2½ hours listening to his 2xNcore/2xSMPS600 amp and comparing it to his AELPH F5 mono blocks.
(Please correct me if i´m wrong, but the only mod that had been done to the ncore´s was removing a resister for gain reduction of 13dB. Other specifics of the fine system is best supplied by Olle himself)

Because Olle has a very nice and well-though-through system that differs quite a lot from my own system, it is important to note that the listening observations I share here reflects what we heard (and my subjective interpretation) in his specific system, and the emphasis is therefore on how the nocre´s compared to the aelph f5. -A reference that others may be able to relate to.

First we compared the two amps in a single-speaker setup with his Carlsson inspired omnipolar speakers (mentioned and shown earlier in this thread) placed up against each other in the middle of the room. We could thereby throughout the music switch between the two amps without knowing which one where playing.

Both amps sounded very good and there only appeared to be very slight tonal differences. Apparently speaker placement made as much difference in that test setup so I won´t commit to any conclusive result other than the amps appear to be very similarly balanced and that the small nuances that gave them away from each other, were comparative to the effect of switching between the two speakers (and thereby their specific in-room placement).

After that we made a more conventional stereo test with small bookshelf speakers that were based on the SEAS T14RCY/P 5" woofer and a 19mm SEAS alu tweeter. We listened to the same music material again at very moderate listening level. My guess is that the speakers were around 87db/W/M so we have max had one or two watt at peaks. –No sweat for either amp in other words.

In this setup the differences between the amps were much more noticeable, though both amps definitely sounded very good. No bashing :)

In comparison the ncore´s presented the music with noticeable more scale and focus. The AELPHs, though very good, seemed a bit restricted and appeared to let the bass content slightly blur the midrange.
The AELPHs seemed ever so slightly softer but not by much. The ncore´s, on the other hand, definitely didn´t sound hard in any way.

I can see why some like the AELPHs, but if one is after an amp that makes the speaker produce what the source is delivering as accurately as possible, the ncore´s were the clear winner. -I am starting to save up for them at least :)
–any used ncore bargains out there for sale yet ;-)

As a side note (and note that this has NOT been based on a direct “head to head” comparison), I would say that what impressed me the most about the ncore is the way it made the small speakers sound so dynamically unrestricted and precise at the same time. One of the things I know that my own two class D amps (Acoustic Reality Ear Two and ucd100oem) both suffer from, is a slightly restricted "sound envelope" compared to my class AB amps (nxV200 and NCC200). It´s like the ICE´s and UCD´s cut out a slightly more restricted "window" of the material, and then presents this "cut out" very good, focused and clear -but nevertheless slightly restricted in scale.

With the ncore, this kind of "envelope" or "window"- size restriction didn´t seem to play in and it presented both a bigger and more accurately rendered picture than the AELPHs. It was like the dynamic range and bandwidth of the source was remarkably improved through the ncore´s. Not just a clearer and more precise picture but it was also presented in a larger frame -so to speak.

If this is what Bruno meant when he earlier in this thread mentioned that the ncore presents with a better balance between the individual instrument and the whole orchestra -and in that way enables the listener to better hear both the single instrument and wholeness of the complete composition, I believe that this is what I experienced at Olles today.

In comparison to how my memories serve the UCD´s at home, the ncore gave me an impression of noticeably tighter and detailed image-focus and presence that was more refined in relation to the whole picture. I recall the UCD´s as presenting the individual instruments less precise and at the same time taking up more “space” in the smaller “frame”.

Many thanks to Olle for offering me a chance to listen to his fine system and the ncore´s and for a “jättetrevligt visit”! –as they say on Swedish :)

Best,

Last edited:
The 2x NCores shared a single SMPS600 and the Alephs were Aleph Js, no F5 was tested during this test.

And when the first test was done neither I nor Joakm knew which amp was connected to which speaker since I let another person randomly connect the amps and then hide the cables under a mat. The switching was done the same way in my earlier test, with a software balance slider.

It was fun having you here =)

The 2x NCores shared a single SMPS600 and the Alephs were Aleph Js, no F5 was tested during this test.

And when the first test was done neither I nor Joakm knew which amp was connected to which speaker since I let another person randomly connect the amps and then hide the cables under a mat. The switching was done the same way in my earlier test, with a software balance slider.

It was fun having you here =)

Thanks for correcting my technical (though important) typo´s and filling in on how the test was conducted :)
- Even with only one SMPS600 they sounded the treat.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Okay, I've got a problem and have had no luck tracking it down.

I just assembled a quad-mono NC400 amp yesterday. Three of the channels are working perfectly, but one is intermittent. ..
At this point I have to imagine it's a defective module but I wanted to see if anyone else had run up against a similar issue...Any thoughts? Thanks everybody.

Hi I had the same problem on one channel but that was after 5hours of constant use. I isolated the problem to one of the Ncores. I have no idea what caused it. This problem has mysteriously disappeared over the last week. Maybe it will re-appear later :confused:

I noticed at lot of static electricity build up both in my VPI Classic and in the amp enclosure and was hoping that going balanced once i get my second smps600 will solve this once and for all.

regards
Kjartan

Hi I had the same problem on one channel but that was after 5hours of constant use. I isolated the problem to one of the Ncores. I have no idea what caused it. This problem has mysteriously disappeared over the last week. Maybe it will re-appear later :confused:

I noticed at lot of static electricity build up both in my VPI Classic and in the amp enclosure and was hoping that going balanced once i get my second smps600 will solve this once and for all.

regards
Kjartan

Looks like the dc protect circuit was mis-calibrated. I got instructions from hypex and the unit is working great now. I can't wait to give these things a listen!

Thanks

Does anyone uses conventional powersupply with the ncore modules?

I liked the conventional power supply much more then the smps with the ucd modules. Now i only read about ncore with smps, why?

Ronny.

Ronny,

Interesting. Can you elaborate on what kind of linear and smps that you compared and how you found them to sound differently?

Having not done that test myself, I am very curios about whether I should build a PS myself (linear), and if so, what kind of configuration i should go for, or just go the smps way that most seem to be doing these days...

best

Otoh, these guys Veloce - V8 Amplifier seem to think that even linear supples don't do the UCD justice and use lithium batteries. They would likely do the same with the Ncores.

Look to their website "Official release dates for the V8 and V12 are TBD but are anticipated to be 4th quarter of 2009." and it is still not on their website I presume it is a kind of Vapor ware...

In the ucd thread there was enough discussion about the power supply.

I could hear very good the difference in the blindtest between smps and linear/ conventional power supply with the Standard UCD. With the smps the mids and highs at lower volume passages has much less rest then with the linear supply. Further could i hear differrence in the percussions like snaredrum, the sound with the smps was not as fast and fat as with the linear powersupply.

When Testing with the HG + HXR versions the above differrences where not noticeble. But i did not like the overall sound, it was to clean and boring.

The above discribed my own experience. But the testing was done with a lot of people at several different places and setups in Germany and the Netherlands. There was about 90% of the people who shared the same opinion. But this says nothing about what to( you) like. It is best when possible to listen for yourself.

But because there was a diffence i am now curious if that also the case with the ncore.

For the price of the smps600 it is very good possible to build a very good linear supply.

Last edited:
In the ucd thread there was enough discussion about the power supply.

I could hear very good the difference in the blindtest between smps and linear/ conventional power supply with the Standard UCD. With the smps the mids and highs at lower volume passages has much less rest then with the linear supply. Further could i hear differrence in the percussions like snaredrum, the sound with the smps was not as fast and fat as with the linear powersupply.

When Testing with the HG + HXR versions the above differrences where not noticeble. But i did not like the overall sound, it was to clean and boring.

The above discribed my own experience. But the testing was done with a lot of people at several different places and setups in Germany and the Netherlands. There was about 90% of the people who shared the same opinion. But this says nothing about what to( you) like. It is best when possible to listen for yourself.

But because there was a diffence i am now curious if that also the case with the ncore.

For the price of the smps600 it is very good possible to build a very good linear supply.

Thanks for your elaboration :)

It has been reported that a dedicated smps600 for each ncore sounds better than two ncores sharing one smps600 though some claim that it should not matter for technical reasons.

My guess is that it does. And I therefore think it is plausible that a linear supply sounds different. For the price of two smps600s one can definitely build a really serious linear supply with money to spare...

Status
Not open for further replies.