Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you buy ready made cables of different lengths? I have just place my modules on a print out of my chassis design base layout and there are two minor issues. One is that the cable between the power supply and amp module is not far off twice as long as it needs to be and with it being such a thick bunch of cables it makes it a bit awkward and messy and the other is that the supplied power lead is probably going to be fractionally too short. I have found the connector parts to order and possibly make my own cables but I don't have a proper crimping tool, wouldn't know which to buy and have never worked with such cables. If you can buy them already made up at either custom or specified lengths that would be great or is that something Hypex could do (obviously for an appropriate price)?

None... If you can point me to something, I could look into it. I really don't like the ones which first convert from analog to digital and back. If there is a solution for the digital domain, that would be fine, I need an extra DAC for the low pass channel in that case.

Hypex is supposedly going to release their DLCP in Q2 which is a 2x6 DSP/DAC/PRE similar in design and functionality to that used in the Grimm Audio LS1 speakers. It appears to take SPDIF in without an additional A/D stage, but it is unclear if it will take an asynchronous USB input which would be nice. I have a Metric Halo 8 channel FireWire DAC/ADC/DSP/PRE which provides a nice "pure digital" environment for active crossover duties. The trade off, however, is that it doesn't have the slick UI of the miniDSP.

The exasound e18 DAC is another interesting integrated solution.

Perhaps someone are buying loads of them (with different names and addresses), putting them in a fancy chassis, adding the usual bs commercial on their website and selling them at ultra high-end price. No wonder you don't get more feedbacks. :D

Sir

Please take the time to read the Hypex webshop message from JP about NC400 and SMPS600.....

"Volume policy: The NC400 is expressly designed for DIY Hi-Fi enthousiasts and is sold directly to the end customer. Volume discounts are not given and OEM sales are not solicited."

As a fledgling hi fi manufacturer and choosing Hypex as our OEM amp module supplier, I object to your slanderous allegations that we are just "putting them in a fancy chassis, adding the usual bs commercial on their website and selling them at ultra high-end price"

I wish I could use NCore but, at the moment Hypex chose to release this ground breaking technology only to DIY cynics like you.

Rejoice in the fact that you can purchase a power amplifier which is superior to a huge number of very high end commercial amps and be allowed to build it on the kitchen table, put it in a biscuit tin if you wish...:bomb: and not give a thought for any EN or EMC regulations or CE marking. This does not include the majority of responsible members of this thread who are finding out how much it costs to install their NC's in attractive and safe cases.:xfingers:

How much do you think these hoops which we have to jump through cost? How much do you think it costs to set up a serious manufacturing facility? and do you really know how much a distributor/dealer network takes for their effort to bring our product to market? We don't just buy a Hypex module and PSU and say "How much can we get away with selling this for?" Every last component has to be costed carefully and when the cost is finalised, then the profit is added to cover overheads and wages etc. Then the rest of the selling chain do the same and the retail price is reached and....then add 20% VAT!

Not everyone has the skill or inclination of the DIYer to 'make' their own gear be it hi fi or any other hobby kit or we would all be brandishing soldering irons and driving round in kit cars wearing clothes we made in our spare time in the garden shed which we bought on ebay and put up over the weekend.

Rant over.......

Still love the thread ;) :)

Come to think of it, I built MY own shed once!! and built an AC Cobra replica in my youth !!!! Hmmmm!

Last edited:
DLCP

Jan-Peter, told at a dutch audio forum that the new proto pcb is ordered last week. In a couple of weeks they will start a 0 serie batch.:)

Gerhard
Any chance of a link?

Is that a mk2 prototype or a sample production board. If sample production board, it feels more like Q3/Q4 to me
...with initial batches being sold out immediately, so they won't be generally available until Q2 2013 :)

Any chance of a link?

Is that a mk2 prototype or a sample production board. If sample production board, it feels more like Q3/Q4 to me
...with initial batches being sold out immediately, so they won't be generally available until Q2 2013 :)

Can give you a qoute but it is in dutch....

Hypex did a betatest with the dlcp. They decided to redesign the board before putting it on the market. Because of the development of the Ncore this project became on hold. A couple of weeks ago they started working on it again. If the redesigned board is ok they will run a test batch. If everthing works out nice I don not see a problem with Q2 as a release date.

Gerhard

The first company to sell them at a cost I can swallow will get my business. I'd love to use them for my subs.

Jason

I am not yet a big enough OEM purchaser or, as Bruno put it 'an A lister' to get NC1200's to play with. What I was refering to was an as yet unannounced NC400 OEM version if indeed they (Hypex) are intending to release one...

I'm waiting with breath held to see how much the 'Mola Mola' amps will be which as we now know are NC1200 mono's.....gonna be some questions asked at Theta and Genesis if they are relatively cheap.

I know you're not all cynics and I just objected to the tone of the post by Omholt as I've sunk a huge amount of time and effort to get my company off the ground and I freely admit I'm not an EE so I have to purchase expertise from companies such as Hypex who do indeed ' do the hard part '. I certainly do not 'charge what I like '. The end user price is dictated by a potential distributors buying price which has to be a certain % of the retail.

If I wanted to market a valve amp I would probably go to the likes of Tim de Paravicini to design one for me. Many have gone down this route before me.

Cheers :)

John

I know you're not all cynics and I just objected to the tone of the post by Omholt as I've sunk a huge amount of time and effort to get my company off the ground and I freely admit I'm not an EE so I have to purchase expertise from companies such as Hypex who do indeed ' do the hard part '. I certainly do not 'charge what I like '. The end user price is dictated by a potential distributors buying price which has to be a certain % of the retail.
Cheers :)

John
Come on man. My post was meant as a joke. I thought that was obvious. I no nothing of your business.

Reminds me of what Goldmund did with their DVD player. The cost of the Goldmund player was $6,000 and the interior was a standard Pioneer DVD player. :D Nice profit even with the expensive chassis. Goldmund attmitted it by the way. I find something like that very amusing. But of course, it someone did something similar with Ncore they would at least get a high quality product. ;)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Come on man. My post was meant as a joke. I thought that was obvious. I no nothing of your business.

Reminds me of what Goldmund did with their DVD player. The cost of the Goldmund player was $6,000 and the interior was a standard Pioneer DVD player. :D Nice profit even with the expensive chassis. Goldmund attmitted it by the way. I find something like that very amusing. But of course, it someone did something similar with Ncore they would at least get a high quality product. ;)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi

Must be having a bad day....sorry about that.

Have a look at acousticimagery - HOME to see the effort we put into launching our pre and power amps.

Hi Fi news gave a great review in January issue this year (PM me with your email address and if you want I can send you a scan of the review) and if you go to the biography page of Grimm Audio, Bruno has quoted the editor of Hi Fi News which was lifted from our review!!

By the way our cases are milled from solid and it aint cheap. And also by the way, if you've followed this thread from way back, where's the 'milled from solid' cases that Richard from Hexateq was doing for the NC400's? Hmmmm!

DIY is all about getting the maximum performance from the least outlay and the NC400/SMPS600 combo is probably the best amplifier ever made for the money it costs to get it going in a simple inexpensive case.

When you try to market high end hi fi these days you have to make them look fantastic as well as sound fantastic and if you are a new name you have to try even harder.

Keep up with all the posts as I rely on you guys for news and info and I must try to recognise the jokes ......:confused: :)

Cheers

John

forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl • Toon onderwerp - Vooraankondiging Hypex High End DSP platform

Top of the page. It's in dutch, so you'll have to google-translate it.

edit: read the rest of the page too for info, they're not delivering, it's about picking up the design again.
Thank you. I've read several threads on there (including this one) and Google's translation has worked so far (except it sometimes seems to miss blocks of text out, so I end up with 2 browsers open - one original and one translated)

Can give you a qoute but it is in dutch....

Hypex did a betatest with the dlcp. They decided to redesign the board before putting it on the market. Because of the development of the Ncore this project became on hold. A couple of weeks ago they started working on it again. If the redesigned board is ok they will run a test batch. If everthing works out nice I don not see a problem with Q2 as a release date.

Gerhard
That's not the way I read it. This seems to be the 2nd beta. Jan-Peter says '0 series' 'slow progression' etc.
It's back in the development plans but he says nothing about production. Q2 seems to be the availability of the next beta batch, not when it's available for sale.

I understood it to be tongue-in-cheek. ;)

acousticimagery,
I do think most of us here understand the number of hours we put into design, fabrication, and assembly and understand that with commercial products that you need economies of scale and that labour (and business infrastructure) have to be paid for.

I didn't seem to see enough interested response for Richard Hexateq's case for him to justify production (I may be wrong). There didn't even seem to be consensus over mono/stereo cases. With DIY cases everyone seems to want to go their own way.

Reminds me of what Goldmund did with their DVD player. The cost of the Goldmund player was $6,000 and the interior was a standard Pioneer DVD player. :D Nice profit even with the expensive chassis.

I've seen worse. I have a fair bit of British military equipment in my garage. One of them is a monitor system for helicopter landings, a very rugged-looking, specialized video monitor. Must have cost at least 30.000 GBP to the military. If you open the lid, you see it has a standard consumer-grade Sony portable TV inside....

Status
Not open for further replies.