Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any party finalized a chassis design available for immediate purchase?

I continue to be amazed that only Stig-Erik and one other nCore customer have posted their listening experiences. I decided to take the plunge and well certainly post my impressions in a couple of weeks after I get them built and compare them to an array of Class D and Class A amps.

Nice...

Has any party finalized a chassis design available for immediate purchase?

I continue to be amazed that only Stig-Erik and one other nCore customer have posted their listening experiences. I decided to take the plunge and well certainly post my impressions in a couple of weeks after I get them built and compare them to an array of Class D and Class A amps.

I look forward to hearing your impressions. I will have to sell something to jump into nCore, so I am waiting to get some listening impressions from a number of early adopters first.

A word of caution to fellow (semi-)noobs: if you power on the smps600 without it being connected to the nc400, then power it off and disconnect the ac cord, and then connect the nc400 module to the smps, you will see sparks and hear loud bangs when the connector touches the pins. So by trying to be as careful as possible, I pretty much caused the modules to explode. At least the Hypex support people seem to be helpful.

Is it common knowledge that this procedure will cause your expensive new smps to kill the ncore?

Hi Could you pls. clarify. What should be the correct procedure when connecting the SMPS to NC. As I read your note one should not try to power on the SMPS alone and then assemble the SMPS with the NC – is there a way of discharge the SMPS – because in my opinion I would do the same way as you did – try the SMPS without the NC connected just to make sure that they are working.

Pls. advice.

I really hope that all issues etc. are described in a paper delivered with the SMPS and NC modules. Even though its DIY and plug and play it seems like some precautions needs to be taken as the one you have described!

I’m waiting for the new batch which are going to be shipped end of January – just can’t wait J
Playing on the old UC400 which just sound great – so if NC400 is better in mid- and high range it will be HiFi Nirvana.

Regards Ole

Hi Could you pls. clarify. What should be the correct procedure when connecting the SMPS to NC. As I read your note one should not try to power on the SMPS alone and then assemble the SMPS with the NC – is there a way of discharge the SMPS – because in my opinion I would do the same way as you did – try the SMPS without the NC connected just to make sure that they are working.

Pls. advice.

I really hope that all issues etc. are described in a paper delivered with the SMPS and NC modules. Even though its DIY and plug and play it seems like some precautions needs to be taken as the one you have described!

I’m waiting for the new batch which are going to be shipped end of January – just can’t wait J
Playing on the old UC400 which just sound great – so if NC400 is better in mid- and high range it will be HiFi Nirvana.

Regards Ole

maybe 10r/10w resistor?

or waiting 10 minutes.

zap4ever: I don't know if I'm the right person to say how you should do it instead, but I imagine that if I had just connected everything and powered all the modules up at the same time, it would have been fine.

back: after 3 hours there was still enough charge left to make sparks and noise.

There are a lot of pins on the smps, how exactly should one go about using a resistor to dissipate the charge?

zap4ever: I don't know if I'm the right person to say how you should do it instead, but I imagine that if I had just connected everything and powered all the modules up at the same time, it would have been fine.

back: after 3 hours there was still enough charge left to make sparks and noise.

There are a lot of pins on the smps, how exactly should one go about using a resistor to dissipate the charge?

Hi Zhai
What I don’t like is if this issue is not described in any way. It’s not unusual situation if you in the process of mounting the units in a cabinet need to dismount the units from each other. This reminds me of the old days with the first L.C. Audio ZAPpulse modules where many odds things happened caused by e.g. wires who should be placed in a special way, earth connection etc.
I just want to make sure that Bruno/Hypex addresses these issues in advance when we start building out new amplifiers so that we don’t start with frying our modules. Actually this is the first real hands on issue which is posted reg. the modules except for the questions about how to wire the NC modules.

Would be nice if Bruno drops a note saying that some kind of description is sent together with the modules about mounting and special considerations e.g. the issue with not connecting NC with PSU if the PSU has been connected in advance– which needs a work around don’t you think? I mean its most likely that you during assemblage e.g. when fitting them into some kind of closure needs to split the NC and the SMPS apart and the we have a problem which we by now don’t know how to solve…. Scary J

Regards
Ole

I'm not going to completely exclude the possibility that I've made some sort of mistake in the assembly of the amp, I just can't figure out what that would be. I tried to just follow the recommended way, and the only modification was to insert a small circuit to control a mains relay and a push button, otherwise everything should be as Hypex suggests.

I would also guess that if you disconnect the units from each other and connect them again, it doesn't make any difference unless the smps is powered on without the nc400 connected to it. I can't be sure of this, though.

I'm here lads. Busily routing circuit boards which I do with the kind of abandon normally only seen in 2-year olds. Hence the silence.

I didn't really follow but I hear that there's been some discussion about amps not surviving hot plugging (or what is effectively hot plugging with charge still on the supply). Actually I plugged amps into a charged supplies several times and nothing happened BUT I can indeed conceive of problems if the pins got connected in exactly the wrong order. Considering that I've tried to make the amps immune against just about every other calamity I think I'll try and work out how to get past this one as well. With a bit of luck it can be retrofitted on the current batch.

I didn't really follow but I hear that there's been some discussion about amps not surviving hot plugging (or what is effectively hot plugging with charge still on the supply).
I'm not going to completely exclude the possibility that I've made some sort of mistake in the assembly of the amp, I just can't figure out what that would be. I tried to just follow the recommended way, and the only modification was to insert a small circuit to control a mains relay and a push button, otherwise everything should be as Hypex suggests.
Don't know if they're related. Of course psu control should be using the control connector on the smps or by switching the mains (which is the implication of the above post) - so J1 or J3 - not making any changes to the umbilical between amp and smps

it shouldn`t cause problems to the ampa other than scare you.

what i do is to connect a resistor to each rail for a few minutes.

you can check the voltage drop with a DMM.

when it go down to 3-4volt you will have no more sparks.

the rest of the pins don`t need discharge.

it shouldn`t cause problems to the ampa other than scare you.

what i do is to connect a resistor to each rail for a few minutes.

you can check the voltage drop with a DMM.

when it go down to 3-4volt you will have no more sparks.

the rest of the pins don`t need discharge.

Will it be possible for you to be more specific about exactly where you connect the resistor to discharge the PSU. Seems like this information could very soon become handy (vital I would say).
Regards Ole

SMPS questions

Dear friends,

From the comments on the smps supply opposed to a classic linear one, it does sound like there is a consensus that the "new" technology has surpassed the old one also on sound quality. Please correct me here, as I am trying to get a hold on the possibilities that comes with smps´s over linear PS designs...

I have a few Q´s regarding how to read the specs and chose a proper smps for various applications that I hope someone would be helpful to answer:

As I get it the smps tech generally regulates in a different way to that of the linear PS´s as the recharging circles are not restricted to the main frequency but designed to be fx 100kHz. This should mean that smps should be "stiffer" than linear supplies, no?

This should also mean that the distortion artifacts produced by the charging is moved up in frequency according to reduced charging circles, no? Hence probably also related to subjectively different audible signature, no?

Generally, what counts in smps design to achieve the very best audible performance of the active circuitry hooked on it?

How big audible differences should one expect from one smps design to another? Has anyone tried various smps designs on the same circuitry to assess this?

Does power rating still count, or does it just need to be adequate. In the linear days a 1000VA donut would blow a way a 200 VA one although only a few watts was actually used... Does this translate into the smps´s too, hence more authority can be gained by getting a more "stiff" supply by fx choosing a 1200watt over a 400 watt one?

Also when making linear PS´s there is little doubt regarding getting greater performance from dedicated rails per channel opposed to share one big pair of +/- VDC. Does this also count for smps´s, and if so which of the hypex offerings does offer plural dedicated pair´s VDC rails? Or do one need to purchase a dedicated smps for each channel to get the very best performance?

I would be greatful for any comments.

cheers,

Dear all,
I am still puzzled about SMPS technology, but unfortunately I got no replies on my above questions. I have probably asked the wrong questions, which accounts for my lack of insight on the subject. If so, then please help me to ask "the right questions". In case, and I really doubt so, that no body actually knows anything about SMPS tech and sound, than that would also be a useful answer...

kind regards,

The SMPSU will first rectify the mains to provide a high dc voltage. For higher-power SMPSUs, this high voltage then powers a half or full-bridge transformer-isolated PWM output stage, with regulation of the PWM performed by a feedback loop from the dc output (often through an opto-coupler for isolation) into the control chip. Provided that the current-limit of the supply is not exceeded, there will be no advantage in using a PSU of a higher power than is neccessary.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Dear all,
I am still puzzled about SMPS technology, but unfortunately I got no replies on my above questions. I have probably asked the wrong questions, which accounts for my lack of insight on the subject. If so, then please help me to ask "the right questions". In case, and I really doubt so, that no body actually knows anything about SMPS tech and sound, than that would also be a useful answer...
kind regards,
You should post your questions in the "Power Supplies" forum and keep this thread clean. There is a ton of information around about SMPS technology here and elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.