Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure the enclosure is big enough even for monoblocks (which I intend to build). Vincent's email said to simply subtract the wall thickness to arrive at interior dimensions and after doing so, I am not sure the enclosure will be big enough even for monoblocks to allow for any room around the boards.

And as far as shipping goes, I am used to getting stung on shipping. I live in Hawaii and Mainland companies often charge as much or more for similar shipping. It's like they think Hawaii is another country on the far side of the planet !

I will be making 2 amps, one for woofers, one for mid\tweets. They will be dual mono with 2 smps600's, 2 NC400's

I decided to have 1 smps600 for 2 nc400's, but have the pairs take care of one channel each, so that one of the nc400's sharing the smps600 takes care of the woofer and the other the mid/tweet, the logic being that most of the power will be needed by the woofers, so it makes sense to split up the driving of the woofers over two smps600's, while the additional load of the mid/tweet nc400 is less of a concern on the smps600.

(OK, of course my setup is going to be more complex than that, with 4 nc400's and 2 smps600's per channel, with individual nc400's driving 2 separate woofers, mids and trebles each, but the idea of the split of smps600's on the nc400's is the same.

Just a little bump in case you missed my post with photo two posts above. :)
I did indeed. On top of that I don't always seem to get the automated mail.

So, all lights but no sound. Is it switching at all? Check by measuring DC offset with and without load. Without load and no switching the output wanders off a bit because output impedance becomes high.

Can you do a quick check of the supply voltage, say between a screw and the two pins marked with a red arrow.

Attachments

• new-1.JPG
    new-1.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 926
Last edited:
Agree. I have a HTPC from the same company with a very similar case.
It says 6 cm height, but you are probably questioning if that's the internal or external dimension?
HFX - HFX mini storage

Would be awesome if it could fit.

Very nice case indeed! Just requested the internal dimensions via email, let's see.

Is there any advantage in using thermal compound when fixing the ncore's to a chassis btw? My UcD's are running fine/lukewarm without it and dissipation for the ncore's is even less.

I plan to remove some of the screws on the back of my speakers, and replace them with studs that extend out. Onto those I'll mount some kind of board or sheet and use that as a mounting face for the case of amp. Has anyone seen a basic case small enough to just about fit one NC400 inside?

From my listening tests, I've always found it better to use long interconnects and short speaker cables, hence I like the amps to be mounted as close to the binding posts as possible. I guess this is highly dependant on the pre-amp too.

I decided to have 1 smps600 for 2 nc400's, but have the pairs take care of one channel each, so that one of the nc400's sharing the smps600 takes care of the woofer and the other the mid/tweet, the logic being that most of the power will be needed by the woofers, so it makes sense to split up the driving of the woofers over two smps600's, while the additional load of the mid/tweet nc400 is less of a concern on the smps600.

(OK, of course my setup is going to be more complex than that, with 4 nc400's and 2 smps600's per channel, with individual nc400's driving 2 separate woofers, mids and trebles each, but the idea of the split of smps600's on the nc400's is the same.

Since the power reserves come from the power supply, I'm not sure how much you will benefit from having two NC400's running from 1 supply per channel over just having 1. Bruno would probably know better. The logic I have for my design is to have adequate power reserves to drive my woofers, and effortless sound and extreme dynamics from my mid\tweet's due to the amp's barely breaking a sweat. I'm wondering in your case if you would benefit more from adding a SMPS 1200 and having 1 nc400 per channel and saving 170 euros.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the enclosure is big enough even for monoblocks (which I intend to build). Vincent's email said to simply subtract the wall thickness to arrive at interior dimensions and after doing so, I am not sure the enclosure will be big enough even for monoblocks to allow for any room around the boards.

And as far as shipping goes, I am used to getting stung on shipping. I live in Hawaii and Mainland companies often charge as much or more for similar shipping. It's like they think Hawaii is another country on the far side of the planet !

Interior dimensions should be 131mm wide x 282mm deep and 60mm high. The smps600 is 145x85x50 and the NC400 is 88mm wide and 37mm high. If you put the smps600 in the long way everything should fit fine. You will have 10mm clearance from the top of the lid, and 23mm clearance on each side of the smps600. And you will have 49mm extra space the long way, which should be enough to have a small gap between the modules and room for binding posts etc.

Last edited:
Do you all prefer black anodized or brushed aluminum? Does the ideal case hold 1 power supply and 2 amp modules or do you all want true mono 1 power supply and 1 amp module?

I think everyone has their own opinions and budgets, but I am going dual mono and like the look of a brushed aluminum front with black anodized sides\back\top\bottom. But for my project I'm going all black anodized because my DAC is all black anodized and I want them to match.

So, all lights but no sound. Is it switching at all? Check by measuring DC offset with and without load. Without load and no switching the output wanders off a bit because output impedance becomes high.

Can you do a quick check of the supply voltage, say between a screw and the two pins marked with a red arrow.

DC offset without load is 1,39V.
DC offset with load is 2,2mV.

The supply voltage is 66.5V.

Very nice drawing for a case. Where can you buy it? :)

Not in our web shop if that's what you're angling at ;)

It was a sketch I made to liven up the case discussion. It would be quite cool to see not just a "group buy" but also a "group design" effort. But you need a first sketch for people to shoot at. And I just love toying with SketchUp. That's the real reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.