hypex ncore - Page 756 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2014, 09:12 AM   #7551
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy_boy View Post
Thanks Chris. Re the switch / LED, sounds like a nice solution. Can you remember which one you used? Did you need a series resistor to drop the aux voltage down a bit?
I think it was this - it was convenient and comparatively cheap
MCM2122TCFW01 - MULTICOMP - SWITCH, TOGGLE DP BI-COL LED | CPC

Multicomp MCM2122TCFW01

Yes you need a resistor - calculate based on the lowest forward voltage drop of the two LEDs, the lowest max current of the two LEDs and the value for the aux voltage
Old 28th May 2014, 11:18 AM   #7552
diyAudio Member

Thanks Chris
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:24 PM   #7553
diyAudio Member

Considering getting a pair of ncores and corresponding SMPSs for use as bass amps.

Do they have to be enclosed in a metal box?

I was considering mounting each module and supply on a rectangular copper plate which would be open on the top and sides.

Seems there is not much radiated noise from the specifications but then I could be missing something. The amps would be away from the source components at the woofer boxes.

I am cheap and have no desire to buy boxes if they are not needed. I have the copper plate on hand.

Considering replacing a CROWN K2 and would appreciate any comments by those familiar with both amplifiers.

I would appreciate advice!

Thanks,
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:07 PM   #7554
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
Considering getting a pair of ncores and corresponding SMPSs for use as bass amps.

I was considering mounting each module and supply on a rectangular copper plate which would be open on the top and sides.

Seems there is not much radiated noise from the specifications but then I could be missing something. The amps would be away from the source components at the woofer boxes.

I am cheap and have no desire to buy boxes if they are not needed. I have the copper plate on hand.

Considering replacing a CROWN K2 and would appreciate any comments by those familiar with both amplifiers.

Thanks,
If I remember correctly they don't strictly need a box as they are Class II compliant, or if you have a box it doesn't have to be conductive. The modules have lethal voltages so personally I would enclose it anyway. You can get decent boxes form ebay for 50$ or less including shipping, you can't be too cheap for that. But for me it is mostly that I promised myself I will never compromise on safety, which is why I also always connect earth to the chassi even if I don't have to.

ADDITION: The Hypex Plate amps for example are only a metal plate, but in this case the speaker box hides it form roaming fingers =)

Second addition: The NCore is overkill in the bass, it shines in the mid-high frequencies so as you are cheap the UcD is good enough in the bass and much cheaper. The designer of the NCore, Bruno has said this earlier in the thread ( that the advantage of the NCore is not in the bass, he didn't mention the pricing ).

Last edited by OllBoll; 2nd July 2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:16 PM   #7555
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The smps has mains voltages. I'm sure it's intended to be enclosed, as ollboll has indicated.

And I'd rather there was something to nominally prevent stuff from accidentally falling on the circuit

I don't believe they need cases for screening. Bruno has been quite adamant about low rfi being an inherent part of the circuit design and not the packaging
Old 3rd July 2014, 05:21 AM   #7556
akasha is offline akasha  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post

Thanks,
I'm running the ncore mounted vertical under the SMPS 600 on a thick piece of aluminum in wooden boxes, open top and bottom for ventilation, like to keep temperature down for electronics, would never use a closed box anyway, but the Crown K2 gets so much more hot of course ( never made comparison soundwise )

never had any problems with noise, dead silent, full range with my 108db/w horns and different sources close to ncores

Last edited by akasha; 3rd July 2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:46 AM   #7557
diyAudio Member

I would never have an uncovered power supply. It works but so do guns when they aren't fired.
Old 8th July 2014, 10:08 AM   #7558
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone could you point if something like this can be tried, will be safe for the amps, or its not that a good idea to power some sennheiser 300 ohms cans?.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sorry if its too silly an thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 10:14 AM   #7559
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone could you point if something like this can be tried, will be safe for the amps, or its not that a good idea to power some sennheiser 300 ohms cans?.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sorry if its too silly an thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 12:49 PM   #7560
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faecium View Post
To start with, it is definitely not a good idea to ground the negative speaker output, but it is also not a great idea to burn away all your output power in those resistors. Playing at full volume would probably result in smoke from the resistors.

Hide this!Advertise here!