Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2011, 09:11 AM   #701
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm patient

I've already waited so I'd rather have it 'right' than early
(but I'd still like it as soon as possible )
Old 8th December 2011, 03:08 PM   #702
diyAudio Member

Has the 53 db gain from 20 hz to 20 khz anything to do with the advantage of microdynamics in class A amplifiers ?

Hello i am new to this forum and to the diy community in general and the main
reason for me to begin is the high expectations in the ncore technology.

Thanks for any reply , especially Bruno's
Old 8th December 2011, 06:42 PM   #703
diyAudio Member

Welcome to the forum Leonkara,

I still consider myself rather new on this forum and there certainly are many much more experienced and knowlegdeable people around here than me who may be better to provide you with a reasonable answer.

I have not heard of the 53db gain you mention, so could you please specify what you mean by this as i could imagine that it would help people to answer your question?

That said, my experience with amplifiers is primarily of an empirical nature meaning that I listen to the adjustments i make and relate to what I hear. To my experience amps do sound very different and there are other factors than their class of operation that matters to the sound they produce. IMHO class A amps arenīt better than other types though many believe so. I often find good class A/B and D amps to sound better to my ears, and the micro-dynamics which you imply to be better with class A is to my ears moreoften a matter of recessed macro-dynamics and coloration, IMHO of course.

The problem here is that very few amp topologies will operate equally well with high and low bias settings (the amount of current that always flow through the output stage). SKA makes amps that are said to be able of both class AB and A, but i think they are rare in that regard. As a personal experience I can tell you that am in the process of getting the most from a class AB MOSFET amp and playing with its bias settings sure alters its sound. This specific amp seems to sound at its best with only very little bias, just enough to get the FETs slightly luke-warm. If i give it slightly more, the amp sounds bloated and thick as it blurres the complexity of the music. It does appear to produce more warmth and a bit more "inner-sweatness" to instruments but at the expense of everything else. That doesnīt mean that other amps will react similarily, but more bias ehnce more class A operation surely doesnīt seem to always be preferable -to my ears, of course

cheers,

Last edited by Juhleren; 8th December 2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 8th December 2011, 06:58 PM   #704
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Juhleren, I have similar experience with some class A designs. bass can sometimes sound overemphasized with these topologies and with some bass-shy speakers that can be pleasant, at least at the first listen but fatiguing on the long term. what I find intriguing is that the same units are much praised by others over what to my ears sounds like bloated and detail-masking bass. this is not to say that all class A amps sound like this.
Old 8th December 2011, 07:32 PM   #705
diyAudio Member

mr_push_pull,

Yes, that bass over-emphasis and reduced dynamic-contrast too (overly warm and soft sound signature) is what i dislike many class A amps for. But as you say, there must be exceptions out there I am sure. Havenīt heard everything of course :-)
Old 8th December 2011, 09:14 PM   #706
diyAudio Member

Default Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
mr_push_pull,

Yes, that bass over-emphasis and reduced dynamic-contrast too (overly warm and soft sound signature) is what i dislike many class A amps for. But as you say, there must be exceptions out there I am sure. Havenīt heard everything of course :-)
Real live music has a really warm sound to my ears-much like the sound reproduced by Pass XA .5 series class A amps. As opposed to much of what seems to be the Hi Fi sound I hear at many shows. Although I would not say that the Pass XA .5 series amps are "soft" at all. Same goes for Vitus Class A designs, transparent, and naturally warm to my ears.
So many class D amps seem to miss out on this part of the musical spectrum. And I am not talking about additive colorations, although some older class A designs certainly have these (Aleph series). I am hopeful that the nCores finally deliver a class D amp which does not compromise musical values.
Old 8th December 2011, 09:35 PM   #707
diyAudio Member

the fact that many audiophiles choose the Pass XA series (including renowned mastering engineer Bob Katz) is most likely no accident.
on the other hand, I think that too many people choose the class A topology thinking that it is inherently superior, regardless of implementation. some sound like crap IMO, with the only notable sonic character being the slow, emphasized bass.
some friend which tested many Pass designs confirmed that the sonic signatures vary a lot and some are nothing to write home about. I would expect that the best are the commercial ones, if you get my point

I would also like to friendly remind everyone that this is a discussion about the Hypex NCORE amplifier
Old 8th December 2011, 09:46 PM   #708
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
I would also like to friendly remind everyone that this is a discussion about the Hypex NCORE amplifier
I don't see a problem, within this thread, in discussing where class d stands in relation to other topologies.
Barrows opinion is one I agree with.
Old 8th December 2011, 09:52 PM   #709
diyAudio Member

pieter, you are wrong. this is not a thread about class D in general. please open one about class D vs class A vs class AB vs robocop if you'd like to
the axe you're trying to grind is too large to hide.
Old 8th December 2011, 09:57 PM   #710
diyAudio Member

Default Honestly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
pieter, you are wrong. this is not a thread about class D in general. please open one about class D vs class A vs class AB vs robocop if you'd like to
the axe you're trying to grind is too large to hide.
My point was to express my hope that the nCore is a real advancement over previous class D tech, which will address the weakness I hear in the previous class D amps. Seems to me this is right on topic! Mentioning other topologies and amplifiers as reference points is completely relevant.

Hide this!Advertise here!