hypex ncore - Page 703 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2013, 06:47 PM   #7021
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
I don't understand this.
"Normal" non linearity (such as harmonic distortion) is one thing - where you can have less ad less, but never reach zero. Things like TIM that only happen if a certain condition is met is different - just like oscillation. There are analog amplifiers that oscillate in some conditions, and other that don't oscillate at all. As in *zero*. Not 0.0001 or anything, but not at all. Same with slew rate distortions. As long as the correct boundary conditions are observed, they don't happen - at all.
Old 27th July 2013, 07:03 PM   #7022
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
About analog power amps, my religion is to...
if I recall correctly, it's you who said that audio is not a question of belief.

Quote:
Yes, we need overkill margins on everything (current, bandwidths etc) to get a decent reproduction system. Then how many records with good enough recordings and mixs ?
do we?

Quote:
And we can suffer more from the (theoretical) 0.01 % distortion of a power amp, than from the 4% of distortion of our loudspeaker.
I feel I need to remind everyone that the published measurements of the NCORE display a 0.0003% THD @20kHz, @20W power, not 0.01%. that is 3 ppm (parts per million). whereas some "high end" amps are nearing 1% @20kHz. at which point we need to remember what THD is. Total Harmonic Distortion is the ratio of the RMS voltage of all harmonics divided by the RMS voltage of the fundamental. one can easily infer from that the amplitude of the error waveform. the Hypex datasheets show the distortion spectrum and the fact that THD is pretty much invariant with frequency suggests one other important thing: that the spectrum does not vary much over it, meaning the distortion is of simple nature.
so, we have a few parts per million of error waveform with a full-scale 20kHz sine, the fastest slewing signal present at the input (which is a few times faster, if not orders of magnitude, compared to the slew rate of a kick-drum attack).
and... how come (cough cough) many "fast" amps display rising distortion with frequency, whereas others don't? what does that SR do, exactly? how does it help?

time to rephrase the issue: where is that TIM distortion?

maybe it's time to answer with facts (your measurements or that AES article would be a start) instead of cherry-picking and straw men.

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 27th July 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 27th July 2013, 07:19 PM   #7023
ro9397 is offline ro9397  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajst2duk View Post
I had a chance to listen to my Ncore's driving a set of Maggie MMG's this week. I was stunned at the sound - awesome and what a formidable component pair at the price.
I've not heard such partnering but would love to, and imagine it's a great match, really wake up those planar panels!
Old 27th July 2013, 07:28 PM   #7024
ro9397 is offline ro9397  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry for off topic, but thread posters here appear capable to reply: Is SMPS600 plug'n play for Australia's 240VAC/50 Hz? (fifty Hz, not sixty Hz)
Old 27th July 2013, 07:32 PM   #7025
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro9397 View Post
Sorry for off topic, but thread posters here appear capable to reply: Is SMPS600 plug'n play for Australia's 240VAC/50 Hz? (fifty Hz, not sixty Hz)
Considering Europe is 230V/50 Hz, the answer is "yes".
Old 27th July 2013, 08:18 PM   #7026
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
There are analog amplifiers that oscillate in some conditions, and other that don't oscillate at all. As in *zero*. Not 0.0001 or anything, but not at all. Same with slew rate distortions. As long as the correct boundary conditions are observed, they don't happen - at all.
Hum...
As long as you design a closed loop amplifier, you design an oscillator. 'More or less' damped. A stable amp, according to Nyquist, is an oscillator with not enough Q at its resonance frequency while an unstable amplifier (according to Murphy) has too much :-)
Same thing with this kind of distortion due to the delay between error and its correction, in presence of fast transition, that some call TIM. It is an inter-modulation distortion that will never be 0.
Old 27th July 2013, 08:20 PM   #7027
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Same thing with this kind of distortion due to the delay between error and its correction, in presence of fast transition, that some call TIM. It is an inter-modulation distortion that will never be 0.
I disagree. As long as the feedback loop of the amp can handle the fastest input signal, there won't be *any* slew rate related distortion (of which TIM is a small special case).
Old 28th July 2013, 12:34 AM   #7028
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, we need overkill margins on everything (current, bandwidths etc) to get a decent reproduction system. Then how many records with good enough recordings and mixs ?
From personal experience, this is not necessary - eliminating all the weaknesses that inject disturbing low level distortion, and making sure that the power amp can cleanly amplify to the transient peak SPLs is all that's required.

If the system is sufficently capable in this sense, then all recordings acquit themselves very nicely indeed, subjectively conveying the same impact as the "real thing" would ...
Old 28th July 2013, 08:02 AM   #7029
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
I disagree. As long as the feedback loop of the amp can handle the fastest input signal, there won't be *any* slew rate related distortion.
Julf, please, think twice about servos.
As long as your closed loop amplifier will have a transmission delay (and they all have) and the overall gain is a function of the feedback, you will have distortion.

Attached, bandwidth curves of the same amplifier took inside the loop (input of the second stage). First image in a voltage feedback configuration (222V/µs, 1Mhz) second in current feedback (1200V/µs, 5Mhz).
As you can see, we are far to be flat in the audio bandwitch, even in the second case.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
if I recall correctly, it's you who said that audio is not a question of belief.
My religion is just the product of studies and experiences.

Last edited by Esperado; 28th July 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 28th July 2013, 08:11 AM   #7030
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As long as your closed loop amplifier will have a transmission delay (and they all have have) and the overall gain is a function of the feedback, you will have distortion.
Bruno Putzeys: The F-word - or, why there is no such thing as too much feedback

Hide this!Advertise here!