Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks nice Richard. Unless the chassis become too big, I would prefer something that could fit four modules. Personally I could probaly get away with two SMPS, but the option for four should probably be there.
Having one bigger chassis should be cheaper then two I would think.

Well the answer is easy, get two enclosures. I think that the minority of people here use a 4-channel amp for bi-amping. If I had to enlarge the enclosure to cater for 4 modules then the majority of people would be paying for a more expensive enclosure when really their need is 2-channel.

For those who feel 4-channel is the way forward the added expense for a second enclosure (having essentially a single enclosure per channel) should be relatively small.

Don't forget that volume grows at a staggering rate when increasing overall dimensions.

Cheers,

Richard

For those interested: HFX came back to me with a quote of 200 EUR for this case:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think it's ex vat/whatever you call it and ex shipping. I requested the quote via their general info@hfx.at email.

Hmmm... Richard's ncore specific case vs. ~ 2x hfx case. I have 5 channels in total, however I want my ncore;s to be in one enclosure, and the other 3 (normal ucd, surround) channels in the other. Either put up with different enclosures, or use 2x hfx (which looks quite cool aswell) and accept the ncore's being in a "generic" enclosure.

choices, choices...

For those interested: HFX came back to me with a quote of 200 EUR for this case:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think it's ex vat/whatever you call it and ex shipping. I requested the quote via their general info@hfx.at email.

Hmmm... Richard's ncore specific case vs. ~ 2x hfx case. I have 5 channels in total, however I want my ncore;s to be in one enclosure, and the other 3 (normal ucd, surround) channels in the other. Either put up with different enclosures, or use 2x hfx (which looks quite cool aswell) and accept the ncore's being in a "generic" enclosure.

choices, choices...
Thanks for checking that out!
That's a pretty good price. You could actually also use pipes to lead the heat to the sides, but I doubt that it's needed.

Richard's case looks like it's going to be high-quality too and you get the added Ncore on the front, but If I can fit four modules in the HFX chassis I would probably go with that one.

I don't know what you have for the other 3 channels but you could potentially mount the other modules/smps to a aluminium plate acting as a sub assembly which can then in turn be mounted to the existing holes in the enclosure.

Mount 1 smps 600/400 and use it to power 3 OEM modules in the other bay. Not to max power but it'll work. You have sufficient connections at the back. 3 XLR inlets, 3 speakon outlets.

@Julf: http://www.hfx.at/at/index.php?page...rce.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54 internal heigth was 47mm

hm... the other 3 channels are 180's. I was planning to use (and already ordered) 2x smps600's for the 2 ncore;s (why not go all the way, spending money anyway).

If I fully understand what you mean, you suggest get a second to be deisgned hexateq enclosure and mount the three ucd180s in there. Now, that would:

1 - be cheating: "false" ncore logo ;)
2 - be cost prohibitive (for me, at least, after ordering the ueber ncore setup :( )

Last edited:

choices, choices...

Ernst Spitaler from HFX Just made me aware that the quote is INCLUDING VAT, ex shipping. Even better quote! My apologies to HFX for this mistake.

Guys,

Having built a multichannel UCD before, I'm now looking into building an NC400 to drive a pair of B&W 802 Diamonds.

In my current build, I have used a pesante dissipante case, well known on this forum. The UCD's are on the side cooling fins and hardly make any heat.

There are also 3 SMPS400 in the case and those are simply on spacers at the bottom of the case, and do heat up.

Is there any way to do additional cooling for the SMPS600's? The datasheet mentions to keep clearance above & below the board, to comply with class II.

Is the only solution then active cooling? Or no cooling needed?

Thanks.

As I mentioned before, bead blasted, special etching process and colour anodizing. Gives a very chique and smooth finish similar to Apple products. I have a preference for black. Small Hexateq Logo will be lasered, nCore logo CNC cut.

Except Apple products would never have the giant gaudy NASCAR-esque logo on the front like that.

I'd be interested if I could get one without the logo on the front (or top surfaces). If you want to mark a logo to brand your case, a small one on the back or bottom would be good.

@omholt: Their emailadress is support@hfx.at
They're quite friendly really and I don;t think I have any specific advantage over you ;)

@stokessd: except, of course for the giant apple logo on imac, macbooks etc etc... :D Note that I do agree with you, I'd rather have it quite small or not at all

EDIT: TYPO, emai lis support@hfx.at

Last edited:
Except Apple products would never have the giant gaudy NASCAR-esque logo on the front like that.

I'd be interested if I could get one without the logo on the front (or top surfaces). If you want to mark a logo to brand your case, a small one on the back or bottom would be good.

I suppose the logo is a bit big. On the other hand, the image is showing black lines around the letters which of course make it stand out.

Richard...

I suppose the logo is a bit big. On the other hand, the image is showing black lines around the letters which of course make it stand out.

I love this case deign as well. My one thought would be to add that I also would prefer a smaller more subtle "nCore" logo, located at the lower left side of the case. Just a personal preference here. Everything else looks great-and it lookks like your back panel layout is a good way to accommodate most peoples' preferred hardware (I like Cardas single knob "patented" style speaker binding posts). I also agree with the suggestion to provide individual compartments for the SMPS and modules, and think that a stereo chassis will have the most appeal. Great work.

If these cases are milled from a single piece of aluminium I don't see why that piece can't be split in half to make two monoblock cases. They wasted material shouldn't be much more - if any.

That way people who want monoblocks use them as such and people who want dual mono can just put both enclosures side by side on their rack.
Everyone gets to buy two enclosures and thus spend the same (ok, people who want dual mono need a second power cord that they could otherwise avoid but I don't see this being a problem).
The way it is now, people who want monoblocks have to buy two enclosures (and a lot of "wasted" space and money) - which is essentially a deal breaker.

If these cases are milled from a single piece of aluminium I don't see why that piece can't be split in half to make two monoblock cases. They wasted material shouldn't be much more - if any.

That way people who want monoblocks use them as such and people who want dual mono can just put both enclosures side by side on their rack.
Everyone gets to buy two enclosures and thus spend the same (ok, people who want dual mono need a second power cord that they could otherwise avoid but I don't see this being a problem).
The way it is now, people who want monoblocks have to buy two enclosures (and a lot of "wasted" space and money) - which is essentially a deal breaker.

I fully agree...

All I will be finalizing my design this week and need feedback in the following areas:

1). Logo or No Logo?
2). Color Logo or black silkscreen?
3). Push button front power switch or just use the IEC power switch on the rear of the case?
4). Should I create mounting points for two amp modules inside the mono chassis or keep it mono? I could create up to 3 points to mount the amp module, aft, mid, or forward?

The absolute cleanest look I can create is a plain front with a light pipe in the center? Is that what most people desire?

The plan for the rear panel is to have:
1). IEC/fuse/filter/switch combo
2). Balanced and RCA input
3). 1 Set of Speakons
4). 1 Set of Binding Posts

Thanks for your input,
Robert

Sorry for all the case talk... lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.