Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2013, 12:14 PM   #6981
diyAudio Member

Phew! Thanks so much. I'll get the soldering station now
Old 19th July 2013, 08:27 AM   #6982
diyAudio Member

After many hours of listing I'm pleased to say Hypex have another very satisfied customer. They really are all they're cracked up to be!

On first listening I found something lacking in the bass power and control. So I swapped out the 3 fairly thin solid silver/gold plated wires per binding post that were used initially to some very thick Chord Odyssey which is silver plated OFC. I was stunned to hear so much difference from changing just 3cm of wire. As mentioned previously on this thread, the ncore does seem sensitive to its output wiring.

I want to set mine up with a +12v trigger as posted a on here a while ago. As discussed I might have to make a basic transformer, BR & relay box to switch over my control output from +12v when on, to +12v when off to keep the SMPS in standby.

But did anyone ever find out if the SMPS has a constant output that could be used or adapted to keep it in standby?
Old 19th July 2013, 10:10 AM   #6983
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judderod View Post
After many hours of listing I'm pleased to say Hypex have another very satisfied customer. They really are all they're cracked up to be!
Good to hear!

Quote:
As mentioned previously on this thread, the ncore does seem sensitive to its output wiring.
The ncores do benefit from low-impedance, high-current speaker cables - the less "audiophile magic" the better, it seems

Quote:
But did anyone ever find out if the SMPS has a constant output that could be used or adapted to keep it in standby?
Yes - the answer is "no". When the SMPS goes into standby, it really goes into standby. No voltages available.
Old 19th July 2013, 02:01 PM   #6984
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Yes - the answer is "no". When the SMPS goes into standby, it really goes into standby. No voltages available.
OK thanks. Looking at the datasheet, to put the SMPS into standby; I need to apply +3.3 to 12Vdc to J1:1.

But I'm not sure where to connect 0v?

Maybe J1:5?
Old 19th July 2013, 02:16 PM   #6985
diyAudio Member

Quote:
OK thanks. Looking at the datasheet, to put the SMPS into standby; I need to apply +3.3 to 12Vdc to J1:1.

But I'm not sure where to connect 0v?

Maybe J1:5?
Yes, J1:5.
Old 19th July 2013, 04:16 PM   #6986
diyAudio Member

Great. So to avoid having an additional ground loop between the 2 SMPS's, I'm thinking it would be best to use two double pole relays, one for each. Or is that a bit overkill?
Old 19th July 2013, 04:51 PM   #6987
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Great. So to avoid having an additional ground loop between the 2 SMPS's, I'm thinking it would be best to use two double pole relays, one for each. Or is that a bit overkill?
So your grounds wouldn't connect anywhere else? As long as there is some connection somewhere, you are OK using a single pole relay, as the standby signal doesn't cause any significant ground current.
Old 19th July 2013, 05:02 PM   #6988
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The SPMSs are earthed to the case through one of the stand-offs
Each SMPS is earthed to the nC400
The nc400 is earthed to the case through the heatsink (IIRC)
The nc400 is earthed to the case via the xlr input
Old 19th July 2013, 05:08 PM   #6989
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPa View Post
The SPMSs are earthed to the case through one of the stand-offs
Each SMPS is earthed to the nC400
The nc400 is earthed to the case through the heatsink (IIRC)
The nc400 is earthed to the case via the xlr input
Right - that is the usual case, and with that setup, a single-throw relay is enough.
Old 20th July 2013, 02:16 PM   #6990
diyAudio Member

Yes I'm using the recommended ground wiring but with a single ended cable to each amp so the shield carries all ground currents to the source which is mains grounded. If I run an additional connection between J1:5 of each amp, I'll create 'triangle' grounding (if there is such a thing).

Since the standby current is so low, and there should only be current flowing when the amps are on standby, are we saying its OK to strap 0v of the standby psu to ground of the source? That way the return path for the standby current is the shield of the single ended cable. Then I connect J1:1 of each amp together with a single wire, which is connected in the middle to an SPST relay that switches the +v standby signal?

Sorry if I'm over thinking this but I'd hate to spoil the audio performance through lack of knowledge!

Hide this!Advertise here!