hypex ncore - Page 696 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2013, 06:32 PM   #6951
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
No, you can never wye two outputs into one input (neither balanced or unbalanced) the first output will see the second output as a dead short. You will need some sort of a switching arrangement or summing network.

RaneNote "Why Not Wye? "
Why Not Wye?
He isn't summing the input signals, he just wants multiple inputs (for what reason, who knows?) and will only use one at a time.
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:03 PM   #6952
ryfa is offline ryfa  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
He isn't summing the input signals, he just wants multiple inputs (for what reason, who knows?) and will only use one at a time.
Yes, that is correct.

The reason has to do with my last attempt to keep a video system tied in with my two channel stereo. I have gravitated to a DAC (PS Audio PWD mk2) direct to amplifier configuration for two channel listening. I like it enough that I don't want to have to insert a pre-amplifier back into the chain. But that leaves me with the front left and right outputs of a home theater processor that I have to get into the amp. Without two inputs on the amp, I would have to resort to plugging and unplugging cables which is a pain.

Believe me, in the back of my mind I'd just like to separate the two systems altogether, however, I have limited space outside of the dedicated, and tuned room they are currently located in.

So, having two inputs on the amp would be huge... would have built the ncores long ago if I felt comfortable doing this.

Hope that sheds light as to the why.
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:06 PM   #6953
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuribo View Post
But he will have to deal with the unused source. You can't just turn it off or hit the 'stop' button. You need a selector switch or a network. (well you could unplug one of the signal cables)
Old 22nd June 2013, 07:11 PM   #6954
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
(well you could unplug one of the signal cables)
That was my assumption.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:09 PM   #6955
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Shouldn't it be possible to sum the signals by putting a small resistor, say 10k on each of the balanced leads on the two input signals and then combine the two + signals and the two - and then connect the combined + and - to the NCore?
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:16 PM   #6956
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
Shouldn't it be possible to sum the signals by putting a small resistor, say 10k on each of the balanced leads on the two input signals and then combine the two + signals and the two - and then connect the combined + and - to the NCore?
He...doesn't.....want....to.....sum.....the signals!!!!
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:22 PM   #6957
diyAudio Member

Quote:
He...doesn't.....want....to.....sum.....the signals!!!!
Yeah, but if the signals are summed then he truly has multiple inputs... and just because he could play both signals simultaneously doesn't mean he has to =)

Summing should still be the easiest and most cheap solution to the problem.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:35 PM   #6958
diyAudio Member

cheaper and easier than a switch to switch between them?
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:40 PM   #6959
diyAudio Member

Quote:
cheaper and easier than a switch to switch between them?
Yup, a switch requires a person to move oneself to the switch and flip it, passive resistors just work =)

And if you have a switch then you must have the box that contains the switch accessible and can't hide the amp.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:46 PM   #6960
diyAudio Member

Then I stand corrected!

Hide this!Advertise here!