hypex ncore - Page 690 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2013, 08:23 AM   #6891
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djioul View Post
Hello all,

I'd like to pur my fingers in the NCore at least for a test.
In order to save money in a first step, would a test be worth the try with a SMPS 300 watts, or is it definitively too low for a nc400?
Output voltage is 48 volts.
Is it 48 V single-ended, or +-48 V?

It is on the lower side, but should at least allow you to do some testing.
Old 31st May 2013, 08:56 AM   #6892
Djioul is offline Djioul  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Is it 48 V single-ended, or +-48 V?

It is on the lower side, but should at least allow you to do some testing.
+-48 yes.

I will think about it, because on another hand, I don't want to be disapointed with the listening... if the PS is limiting it too much.

Thanks for the feedback anyway.
Old 1st June 2013, 09:04 AM   #6893
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djioul View Post
... I will think about it, because on another hand, I don't want to be disapointed with the listening... if the PS is limiting it too much...
I have SCM20SL also, great speakers. But in evaluations I often crank them up to full power@6 Ohms using my Bel Canto S300 amps, which clip at about 200W (biamped: 200 W into tweeter and 200 W into midbass) into the ATC's 6 Ohm impedance. So if you listen loudly as I do (not that loud, the ATCs are quite inefficient), you should be sure to supply all the clean power that the nCores will need. I still plan to get some nCores for my speakers, FWIW. Cheers
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:18 AM   #6894
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
I have SCM20SL also, great speakers. But in evaluations I often crank them up to full power@6 Ohms using my Bel Canto S300 amps, which clip at about 200W (biamped: 200 W into tweeter and 200 W into midbass) into the ATC's 6 Ohm impedance. So if you listen loudly as I do (not that loud, the ATCs are quite inefficient), you should be sure to supply all the clean power that the nCores will need. I still plan to get some nCores for my speakers, FWIW. Cheers
Having owned both BC S300 and Ncore amps - the Ncores totally wipe the floor. The S300 can sound a little thin and dry by comparison. Either Ncores as an upgrade you will be happy with - or look for an S500ref Bel Canto which will give a fuller richer sound (I've owned s300 S500REF and REF1000 monos - now have the Ncores.
Old 3rd June 2013, 04:22 AM   #6895
diyAudio Member

got my ncores rebuilt into a different chassis, and i swear i hear a difference, don't know if its the isolation of the ncore/smps modules or something
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd June 2013, 06:08 AM   #6896
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post
got my ncores rebuilt into a different chassis
Looks great!

Quote:
i swear i hear a difference, don't know if its the isolation of the ncore/smps modules or something
But I guess you have no way of doing a back-and-forth comparison?
Old 3rd June 2013, 06:21 AM   #6897
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Looks great!

But I guess you have no way of doing a back-and-forth comparison?
nope, i made a few changes along the way, including binding posts and iec inlet, that and i changed from the mogami to the newer hypex supplied xlr wiring. so who knows what it was. i'm just happy with the way things turned out, nothing scientific here though.
Old 3rd June 2013, 06:24 AM   #6898
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i'm just happy with the way things turned out
Fair enough! Enjoy!
Old 5th June 2013, 06:23 PM   #6899
diyAudio Member

Quote:
got my ncores rebuilt into a different chassis, and i swear i hear a difference, don't know if its the isolation of the ncore/smps modules or something
Click the image to open in full size.
Thats the nicest build I have seen!

The only thing I would have done differently is to route the speakerwires a little bit away/around the big inductor. I have seen companies using nc1200 doing that.
Old 6th June 2013, 07:32 AM   #6900
jhmkoop is offline jhmkoop  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Why twisted

Nice build!

Is there a special reason that you twisted the connections between the PS and the NCores?
I saw a picture of the Mola-Mola (Bruno's "own" brand with the NCores) and there only the mains and the LS connections were twisted.
Somebody any ideas what is best?

regards

Joost

Hide this!Advertise here!