Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2013, 01:03 PM   #6871
diyAudio Member

That sounds really steep unless you were ordering more than a pair of power supplies and modules. I paid right around $70.
Old 22nd May 2013, 03:30 PM   #6872
diyAudio Member

Default Yes...

UPS charges the brokerage fee upon delivery of international shipments. They say this fee is to cover their costs incurred in getting the shipment through customs. Personally, I find this fee to be a rip-off, and feel it is a shame that Hypex chooses UPS for shipments to the US.
Interestingly, I never seem to have to pay any brokerage fees like this when other carriers deliver international shipments to me originating in Europe.
BTW, this brokerage (UPS) fee is also charged to the recipient of goods shipped from the US to foreign countries, in addition to duties and VAT when applicable. Many years ago I was a shipping manager for a small company here in Boulder. We used UPS, but for international shipments we tried to avoid them whenever we could, as our customers would be irate at the high additional fees they were required to pay upon receipt of goods.
Perhaps it is time for someone to suggest to Hypex that they choose a different carrier for shipments to the US? I suspect that we are a pretty big market for their products. Any ideas on what shipping service might be more reasonable?
I paid around $70 USD in brokerage fees for 2 nC 400 modules and 2 SMPS 600s. Interestingly, UPS left the package at my garage, and then billed me for the additional fees by mail, about a month later!
Old 22nd May 2013, 04:35 PM   #6873
diyAudio Member

I had to personally receive, sign for, and pay the 70 bucks before UPS would release it.
Old 22nd May 2013, 05:51 PM   #6874
diyAudio Member

i got my packaged delivered, then got a bill in the main, i do have a ups account, that might be why.
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:42 PM   #6875
diyAudio Member

It's not just the USA - I had the same issue here in Australia with the UPS delivery. I was called prior to delivery and asked to pay an 80 brokerage fee on addition to the import duty (15%). I haven't had this from any other carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
UPS charges the brokerage fee upon delivery of international shipments. They say this fee is to cover their costs incurred in getting the shipment through customs. Personally, I find this fee to be a rip-off, and feel it is a shame that Hypex chooses UPS for shipments to the US.
Interestingly, I never seem to have to pay any brokerage fees like this when other carriers deliver international shipments to me originating in Europe.
BTW, this brokerage (UPS) fee is also charged to the recipient of goods shipped from the US to foreign countries, in addition to duties and VAT when applicable. Many years ago I was a shipping manager for a small company here in Boulder. We used UPS, but for international shipments we tried to avoid them whenever we could, as our customers would be irate at the high additional fees they were required to pay upon receipt of goods.
Perhaps it is time for someone to suggest to Hypex that they choose a different carrier for shipments to the US? I suspect that we are a pretty big market for their products. Any ideas on what shipping service might be more reasonable?
I paid around $70 USD in brokerage fees for 2 nC 400 modules and 2 SMPS 600s. Interestingly, UPS left the package at my garage, and then billed me for the additional fees by mail, about a month later!
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:00 PM   #6876
diyAudio Member

I suggest USPS or EMS for best rates and no brokerage fees. Regards
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:48 PM   #6877
cjf is offline cjf  United States
diyAudio Member

The $140 that I paid to UPS was for 4 x NC400 & 4 x SMPS600.

As bad as UPS fees are I think DHL is worse but not because of fee's but because of what type of information they require to accept International shipments at the border.

My NCORE cases were made in Canada and were shipped via DHL and then held up for several days by Customs because DHL required either a Tax ID # or SS # before accepting the packages at the border.

Since I am not a business I had to provide my SS # to prove I was a citizen of the USA. I was less then pleased to have to provide such personal info for delivery of two metal boxes. I've never had to do this before with any other carrier and have black balled DHL forever going forward.
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:17 PM   #6878
diyAudio Member

EMS which is a consortia of postal services works well to and from China. I cannot speak for Europe. Regards
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:00 PM   #6879
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

that's odd, when I import with UPS I pay only some €10 fee for UPS over the duties and taxes....

btw: Hypex ships everywhere with UPS, also domestic
Old 24th May 2013, 01:53 PM   #6880
rondr is offline rondr  United States
diyAudio Member

Very unexpected fees here as well in USA. Ordered 2 ncore + SMPSs. Upon arrival before driver would release he needed $80. Total surprise.

Hide this!Advertise here!