hypex ncore - Page 669 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2013, 02:56 AM   #6681
DeJ is offline DeJ  United States
diyAudio Member

This is still confusing to me. In this picture: http://jamesromeyn.com/wp-content/up.../IMG_41171.jpg

1. Is this showing the correct way to ground to earth for safety?..the black wire from the smps600 leg to IEC.

2. In the picture it looks like the metal braid from the xlr wire is not attached to the chassis as recommend in the nc400 manual. Shouldn't this be also done?

Or by doing both it's not recommended for some reason?
Old 12th April 2013, 07:09 AM   #6682
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJ View Post
This is still confusing to me. In this picture: http://jamesromeyn.com/wp-content/up.../IMG_41171.jpg
I don't seem to be able to open that link.

Quote:
1. Is this showing the correct way to ground to earth for safety?..the black wire from the smps600 leg to IEC.
If you have a metal chassis, the leg of the smps600 should connect directly to the chassis.

The mains safety earth from the IEC connector should also be connected to the chassis.

Quote:
2. In the picture it looks like the metal braid from the xlr wire is not attached to the chassis as recommend in the nc400 manual. Shouldn't this be also done?
Yes, it should.
Old 12th April 2013, 07:24 AM   #6683
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Or by doing both it's not recommended for some reason?
I don't see the picture either.

2. As Julf said it should, in correct balanced signals the shield is not part of the signal path but is only a shield. Think of it as a way of connecting the DAC and amp enclosurest and so by not connecting you might not get as good shielding.
Old 12th April 2013, 01:53 PM   #6684
DeJ is offline DeJ  United States
diyAudio Member

It's the same picture on page 667, half way down, posted by mangew.

"Here are a picture as it seems to me a nice proper build, and here have the builder grounded the power supply with a wire directly to the ground on powersupply from the IEC inlet.
http://jamesromeyn.com/wp-content/up.../IMG_41171.jpg"

Last edited by DeJ; 12th April 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12th April 2013, 02:08 PM   #6685
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's the same picture on page 667, half way down, posted by mangew.
Thanks! The important part from the signal/EMI point of view is the fact that the smps is connected to the chassis through the metal spacer. The mains safety earth connection is just that, a safety connection, so it doesn't matter where it is connected to the chassis as long as it is - and the attachment screw on the smps (that connects to the chassis) is just as good as any other point.
Old 12th April 2013, 06:36 PM   #6686
cjf is offline cjf  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello, I just finished the build of my NCore (dual-mono) and am experiencing an issue with one of the channels. I was doing some initial listening tests and seemed fine for a while but at some point the one channel started fading out then shut down. The LEDs on that channel were coming on and off briefly and I could here a "clicking" noise coming from either the SMPS or the NC 400, it was hard to tell which one. I could see that the one LED on the NC400 labeled D31 was flashing while all other LEDs were off.

The other channel doesn't seem to have this issue...Yet!

I don't see any wire shorts or stray wires any where on the output. Any ideas what may be happening? Is there a sheet that lists what the LEDs mean anywhere?

I'm a bit salty at the moment to say the least. RMA'ing this thing is not something I am looking forward to considering the cost and amount of time it could take.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Old 12th April 2013, 07:07 PM   #6687
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

the clicking is the protection relays, I bet you do have a wiring error/short somewhere. got any pics?
Old 12th April 2013, 07:37 PM   #6688
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
the clicking is the protection relays, I bet you do have a wiring error/short somewhere. got any pics?
A short would be my guess too, it is clearly the protection kicking in. Some people have had issues with overly aggressive overvoltage protection that might need recalibration.

The leds don't have any meaning - they are all in series to provide a controlled voltage drop, and are either all on or all off.
Old 12th April 2013, 11:05 PM   #6689
cjf is offline cjf  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello and thanks for the info.

Funny thing is that the amp was running good for about 10min and then all of a sudden I heard the right channel fade out for a moment then come back to normal. I walked out of the room for about 15min and came back to check things out. With my ear near the amp I heard the clicking and then the lights went out except for the one LED which was flickering in tandem with the clicking noise.

Please see pics attached and let me know if you see anything wrong. The NC400 on the right hand side is the one with the issue. For the XLR Inputs, I have PIN1 connected to the steel jacket of the NC400 Input signal cable. Also connected to PIN1 is a solid core 20ga wire which is then attached to chassis ground. NAMPON is also attached to the same point of chassis ground as PIN1.

Speaker cable output wires are connected to NC400 Posts via wire terminal loop and are not touching each other. I can't see any stray wires touching chassis anywhere.

..Thanks

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_07613.jpg

IMG_07636.jpg

Last edited by cjf; 12th April 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12th April 2013, 11:37 PM   #6690
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Is the AC grounded? If the chassis is floating the the nampon is not being pulled to ground.

Hide this!Advertise here!