Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2013, 03:37 PM   #6651
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal View Post
It is a good idea for most amps . Tighter bass is the result.
I heard many other effects (good And bad ones) both on the UCDs and the aussie amps.

Think about it like this; if the amp's operation is governed by its feedback loop (high damping factor is a sure sign...)
- then what you essentially do when moving the speaker return is to "tweak" the feedback circuitry because you move what it is designed to steer the amp operation after away from the reference point it has been designed to work according to.
Old 27th March 2013, 09:47 PM   #6652
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
what are the aussie amps? AKSA?
Old 27th March 2013, 09:50 PM   #6653
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
what are the aussie amps? AKSA?
Nope

High End Audio MOSFET Amplifiers - Amplifier Modules - DIY Amp Modules - DIY Audio - Amp Kit
Old 28th March 2013, 05:07 PM   #6654
diyAudio Member

I see, thanks.

well, I guess it's fair to look at the both sides of the coin, I think some people see this is class D bashing. the guy who sold me the Audio Refinement switched to a Jeff Rowland Concerto. B&O modules with SMPS, not linear PS. yes, it's 6 times more expensive but it's as class D as it gets. from his words, the JR is a superior amp. I really believe it's a matter of implementation.
Old 28th March 2013, 05:30 PM   #6655
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I see, thanks.

well, I guess it's fair to look at the both sides of the coin, I think some people see this is class D bashing. the guy who sold me the Audio Refinement switched to a Jeff Rowland Concerto. B&O modules with SMPS, not linear PS. yes, it's 6 times more expensive but it's as class D as it gets. from his words, the JR is a superior amp. I really believe it's a matter of implementation.
I sold my JRDG Model 2 to actively biamp (with servo on the low end) my speakers with UcD modules...

The proto-types still get much better replies from listeners. Having a hard time justifying the price of swapping the UcD's for Ncores but I assume that would be the next step....

(edit) So that is why I am STILL monitoring this thread...
Old 28th March 2013, 05:39 PM   #6656
diyAudio Member

that's interesting. so you're saying the UCD is better? can you give some details about implementation?
Old 28th March 2013, 06:04 PM   #6657
diyAudio Member

Quote:
that's interesting. so you're saying the UCD is better? can you give some details about implementation?
The implementation is better. I could find NO FAULTS with the JRDG Model 2. Well it was heavier than a boat anchor. But sonicaly paired with the JRDG Consonance it was extremely musical.

WAS:

Analog XO and "old" Erath Electronic suspension unit in a "center" enclosure feeding "external" the JRDG Model 2 for B&W 805s and Bryston 4B on the 15's sealed 1.24 cft enclosure flat to 20Hz.

IS:

Analog XO, "new" Erath Electronic suspension unit AND the UcD modules in a single center enclosure driving new tops (Scan Speak Revelator tweet, Same B&W Kevlar mid) and new dual 10" aluminum cone woofers on bottom. Again, small sealed cabinet flat to 20Hz.

FUTURE: 1) all electronics AT the speakers in full mono mode. 2) Digital feeds to the active speakers. 3) Digital XO / DSP at the speakers. 4) "eventually" digital DSP "servo" and retire the Erath unit...

So as you can see, it was not a one for one swap of amplification... MANY other factors contribute to the better replies.
Old 28th March 2013, 06:13 PM   #6658
diyAudio Member

thanks for the detailed explanation. which UCD model are you using? early make/later revision, 180/400, ST/HG, upgrades (caps, opamps, regulators) etc? what PS?
Old 28th March 2013, 06:21 PM   #6659
diyAudio Member

UcD180 on bottoms into 4 Ohms, 180st on tops into 8 Ohms. Linear PS with BrianGT's power supply boards (CRC) using a pair of 400VA trannies. Hypex softstart modules included.

EDIT: I listened to the Ncores on B&W 802s in Munich but it was less than an ideal location...

Last edited by troystg; 28th March 2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 28th March 2013, 06:35 PM   #6660
diyAudio Member

so nothing fancy. that's weird.
in my book anyone owning that kind of gear (call it audio snobbery, whatever) is not the type that just falls for hype so I trust your opinion.
I'm trying to find an explanation for what I'm experiencing. maybe it's the Dynaudios that are known to be hard loads for amps. still, all the objective facts don't expose obvious phenomena indicating that there's current limiting, clipping or something of the kind. and actually my Dyns are an exception, the impedance is equalized and the impedance magnitude has a minimum of about 3.8 ohms if I recall correctly. and there's the mysterious back EMF phenomena, pretty much unsupported by objective data. AND that should (well, should it?) be even less of a problem with the UCDs.
but in the end the Audio Refinement sounds better.

FWIW, here's the ARC schematic + some more measurements: http://www.klausmobile.narod.ru/indu...complete_e.htm

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 28th March 2013 at 06:38 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!