hypex ncore - Page 663 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2013, 07:14 PM   #6621
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: At the output stage
Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
"plasitc-like"
you seem to have mind-reading abilities violins, cellos, double basses sounded just like that. and that is different from the ones I heard from the local philharmonic orchestra, which sounded like being made of wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
sound that doesn't "breath" properly. It's like everything sort of sticks annoyingly together and produce a flat up front presentation with too little body in the bass
please, stop reading my mind, because I'm going to a concert and I'll likely be checking out the girls a bit.
though, I disagree with the glare, no glare with the UCDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
An interesting experiment could be for you to deploy some small series resistors to the hot o/p terminals of your UCD amp. Try something like 0.22-0.1 R and "see" how that affects things.
did that in the past, not much change. in fact, I'd almost say I'd pe hard pressed to ABX that.
__________________
we all love a good ol' stereotype until it's against us
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 07:22 PM   #6622
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
euphonics? deliberately tuned?
no. that "no" is coming from my ears. because they tell me the AR amp fixed the anti-music the UCDs produced.
Unfortunately it does leave a possibility that the reason you don't like the UcD is that it is not like the AR - either because the UcD is bad, or because the AR is "good".
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 08:42 PM   #6623
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default Did not like the steel top and bottom covers so

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangew View Post
Damn, i did realise that the company i bought my chassis sent me the wrong type. I did order a Galaxy GX283 with 10mm aluminium front and it also should have alu top and bottom. The company sent me with 3mm front but that did i see directly and contacted them so a 10mm front is on the way. But now when i finally started to assemble the amps did i realise that they also sent me 2mm iron top and bottom not alu.

Is this ok with these nc400 and smps600 modules? Do the steel bottom/top make problem with any magnetic issues or? Normally most chassis for hifi is alu so i doesnt know if this will work fine and haven´t started to assemble them yet...
From my Galaxy chassis kit I ended up only using the side extrusions. I replaced the front, back, top and bottom with custom cut panels from Schaefer Home- Schaeffer AG - Frontplatten, Front Panels, Faces Avant

Thick aluminium panels have a lot less resonance than steel. I posted my build at audiocircle Show Us Your Core-NCore!
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 09:12 PM   #6624
mangew is offline mangew  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: norrbotten
Quote:
Should sound still fine. However alu is considered better in certain ways as you mention, and if you ordered and payed for something -that is what you should receive.

BTW, most hifi is stuffed in cheap magnetic steel place chassis. Its only the more expensive audiophile gear that typically (but not always) is built in alu boxes :-)
I have already sent some angry mails to the french company. Had to send some angry mails before they sent me 10mm alu front as i ordered and paid for. Let see if they send me the right top/bottom also since as you say i ordered and paid for that.

Ok, so i can assemble the amp then and see how it works and if/when i get the alu top/bottom i change. Been a long journey regaring my build of these NC400, still not at goal but now not to far away.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 12:24 AM   #6625
diyAudio Member
 
Esperado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: France
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDriver View Post
Thick aluminium panels have a lot less resonance than steel.
Is your amp microphonic ?
The only difference between alu and steel is a little less distortion due to electromagnetic induced fields: Just wire your amp for the cables stay > 2cm from the chassis walls.
__________________
Ultimate Protection and more.The Only Source of Knowledge is experience, everything else is just information” ©A. Einstein
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 06:48 AM   #6626
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default No measurements but not taking any chances ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Is your amp microphonic ?
The only difference between alu and steel is a little less distortion due to electromagnetic induced fields: Just wire your amp for the cables stay > 2cm from the chassis walls.
I have a bugbear about micro phonics, and ringing , more relevant for analog amps, but when we are chasing the last remnants of noise and distortion . . .

I am a big user of Herbie's vibration control
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 10:54 AM   #6627
diyAudio Member
 
Esperado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: France
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDriver View Post
I have a bugbear about micro phonics, and ringing
There is hundreds of 'real' things you can improve before asking-you this kind of questions with solid state circuits...when it is impossible to measure any distortion changes produced by accelerations 1000 times higher than the ones produced by any acoustic level you can afford.
If you see something, hitting your boards with a tool, time to look for the poor weldings or defective components.
All those middle aged and blind audiophile black magic just bores-me.
Like Class D = digital = plastic.
It is boring, because it has no sense, is not correlated by any scientific evidence, by no measurement or *serious* listening experience, (on the contrary) and came back endless like the sea snake.
mr_push_pull, time for you to look at the defective part of your UCD system: enclosures (highlighted by high slew-rate ?) , HF parasitic components from your preamp, or any faillure in your UCD amps/PSU.
There is NO special sound signature to be identified from 'good' Class D amps. comparing to linear class A ones.
__________________
Ultimate Protection and more.The Only Source of Knowledge is experience, everything else is just information” ©A. Einstein
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 12:45 PM   #6628
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
There is hundreds of 'real' things you can improve before asking-you this kind of questions with solid state circuits...when it is impossible to measure any distortion changes produced by accelerations 1000 times higher than the ones produced by any acoustic level you can afford.
If you see something, hitting your boards with a tool, time to look for the poor weldings or defective components.
All those middle aged and blind audiophile black magic just bores-me.
Like Class D = digital = plastic.
It is boring, because it has no sense, is not correlated by any scientific evidence, by no measurement or *serious* listening experience, (on the contrary) and came back endless like the sea snake.
mr_push_pull, time for you to look at the defective part of your UCD system: enclosures (highlighted by high slew-rate ?) , HF parasitic components from your preamp, or any faillure in your UCD amps/PSU.
There is NO special sound signature to be identified from 'good' Class D amps. comparing to linear class A ones.
My Herbie's Tenderfoot foot story, is that I could hear a difference when my ZP-80 which was only feeding SPDIF to my DAC sounded better when sitting on Herbie's Tenderfeet ! I have no explanation whatever, but hey if I think it sounds better, what the heck
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 03:05 PM   #6629
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: At the output stage
Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
mr_push_pull, time for you to look at the defective part of your UCD system: enclosures (highlighted by high slew-rate ?) , HF parasitic components from your preamp, or any faillure in your UCD amps/PSU.
enclosure and slew rate? not sure what you mean. TBH I'd rather try a good NCORE implementation rather than trying to improve the UCD amp. I'm sure everyone agrees that the NCORE is indeed better. good enough for me? have no idea but I hope I'll get to hear it one day. I'd still take class D any day if it sounds good enough.
__________________
we all love a good ol' stereotype until it's against us
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 03:44 PM   #6630
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: At the output stage
Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
to robbby, I remember you having some noise issues, were they fixed? when switching to my new amp which has earthed ground I experienced ground loop issues (noise) because the DAC has earthed ground too. easily fixed with a cheater plug.
of course, the source of the noise itself can be either the DAC or the amp. one of them may act as a noise receiver.
in my case it was a cheap replacement SMPS for my laptop.
__________________
we all love a good ol' stereotype until it's against us
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypex problem, who can help Hansms Class D 9 18th August 2013 06:49 AM
Hypex steveww Class D 14 18th November 2010 01:44 PM
Question for those who have tried hypex smps with hypex modules avian Class D 12 3rd March 2009 09:30 AM
Hypex UcD 180AD + signal wires, Power Supply ST, Hypex Transformer TR100A c10h12n2 Swap Meet 7 7th July 2007 03:55 PM
FS: Hypex UcD 400/180AD, hypex toroid Archmage Swap Meet 4 14th November 2006 04:23 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:54 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2