hypex ncore - Page 659 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2013, 01:36 AM   #6581
DeJ is offline DeJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
For those of us who don't have Class II safety tested components. The IEC Safety Ground should be connected to the chassis near the IEC connector. The XLR Pin 1 should be connected to the chassis at the XLR jack. Typically these connectors are in different areas of the chassis.
So the braided shield goes into the IEC connectors ground slot and another cable is inserted into the IEC connectors ground slot too then the other end is attached to the chassis, correct?

So, the single metal post on the bottom of the smps600 is touching the chassis...and will be grounded with doing what was written above, ie, IEC Safety Ground should be connected to the chassis.

Thanks.
Old 21st March 2013, 01:38 AM   #6582
diyAudio Member

So the braided shield goes into the IEC connectors ground slot and another cable is inserted into the IEC connectors ground slot too then the other end is attached to the chassis, correct?

So, the single metal post on the bottom of the smps600 is connecting to the chassis...and therefore will be grounded with doing what was written above, ie, IEC Safety Ground should be connected to the chassis..

But won't be grounded if the above is not done, right?

Thanks.
Old 21st March 2013, 02:08 AM   #6583
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
The smps600 is still grounded to the chassis, and the chassis contains the radiation (not that there is much in the first place). The mains earth connection is there only for electrical safety reasons.
If the chassis is not connected to earth, ie the IEC is not grounded to the chassis with the braided shield, then the smps600 having 1 metal post/foot connected to the chassis will make the chassis act as an antenna? Radiating EMI because there is not a drain/earth ground where the EMI can go. Correct?

btw, this is curious to me, just trying to learn about grounding.
Old 21st March 2013, 05:57 AM   #6584
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJ View Post
IEC Safety Ground should be connected to the chassis
Yes, for safety reasons, unless you know how to make your system class II safe by other means.
Old 21st March 2013, 06:02 AM   #6585
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJ View Post
If the chassis is not connected to earth, ie the IEC is not grounded to the chassis with the braided shield, then the smps600 having 1 metal post/foot connected to the chassis will make the chassis act as an antenna? Radiating EMI because there is not a drain/earth ground where the EMI can go. Correct?
No. Incorrect. There is a common signal ground reference between the boards inside the chassis. That common ground can be connected to mains earth for safety reasons, but it doesn't need to be for radiation/EMI/hum/etc. reasons.

The nc400 input circuit is a differential input, so it doesn't care about ground (OK, to be very precise, it doesn't care about ground very much - the common mode rejection ratio is 55 dB).

A metal box will attenuate radiation (or not) independent from whether it is connected to the mains safety ground or not. At radio frequencies, that safety ground/earth connection is not a very good conductor anyway.

The only reason you might want to connect the chassis to mains earth/ground is safety in case something goes wrong inside your chassis, and mains gets shorted to the chassis (or somebody pokes a long metal pin into the chassis).
Old 21st March 2013, 09:27 PM   #6586
mangew is offline mangew  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Do anyone have a good picture of a very proper installation of IEC and XLR connectors?

I have seen many pictures and there are different ways to connect and ground. I suppose there are different ways to do it...
Old 21st March 2013, 11:03 PM   #6587
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm beginning to think that my one amp that keeps cutting in and out may be nampon related. Is there anyway that i can use my voltmeter to check and see if I have something more then 0V on my nampon? If so where exactly would I connect the leads of my meter. I lifted nampon so it wasn't connected to anything and put one lead on the nampon and one lead on the signal ground/chassis and my meter showed nothing with it set to AC, but when I put it to DC I have 3VDC from nampon to chassis?
Old 22nd March 2013, 01:35 AM   #6588
diyAudio Member

I'm still not understanding grounding. Maybe I'm not asking the right questions.. What is the benefit of grounding pin 1 of the xlr to the chassis?

What does "common signal ground reference between the boards inside the chassis" mean?

Thanks!
Old 22nd March 2013, 01:58 AM   #6589
diyAudio Member

The XLR Pin 1 is the balanced interconnect cable's shield contact point. By connecting it to the chassis at the jack, it makes a better shield system. It keeps the interference on the outside of the chassis and the cable's shield. The important point is that Pin 1 is not part of the audio circuit. In fact Pin 1 of the cable is sometimes not connected at the receive end.

The "common signal ground reference point" is more difficult to describe.

But let's start with a chassis that has 1 power supply and 4 audio circuit boards. You make one solid connection to the chassis near the I/O jacks and call it the 'Star Point'. The power supply 'common' has it's only wire connected to the 'Star Point'. Each audio circuit board 'common' has it's only wire connected to the 'Star Point'.

Note: The IEC Safety Ground is not part of the audio circuit, so it DOES NOT connect to the 'Star Point', it connects to the chassis at the IEC connector.

Last edited by Speedskater; 22nd March 2013 at 02:06 AM. Reason: added content
Old 22nd March 2013, 07:44 AM   #6590
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangew View Post
Do anyone have a good picture of a very proper installation of IEC and XLR connectors?
How about the Hypex nc400 documentation?

Hide this!Advertise here!