hypex ncore - Page 649 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2013, 08:23 PM   #6481
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post
does something like that make sense at all?
It can, not because some audiophile magic, but lumped elements of the cables (it is a switching power supply): measure the PSU rails with the two cables.
Old 25th February 2013, 10:18 PM   #6482
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
It can, not because some audiophile magic, but lumped elements of the cables (it is a switching power supply): measure the PSU rails with the two cables.
i mean old cable was 18awg, new one is 8awg approximately.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:30 PM   #6483
diyAudio Member

Logic, SMPS are high frequency switching: consumes big transient currents that little wires can reduce by their resistances.
I suppose your SMPS is not regulated, so you should have higher voltages rails with the big diameter wire.
That is the unique reason why some snake oil audiophile vendors, playing with such differences, sell out-priced magic cables "adding transparency".

Last edited by Esperado; 25th February 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 26th February 2013, 09:14 AM   #6484
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post
not sure if anyone can give me some insight on this, so i got a few new power cords, some audiophile mumbo jumble stuff, and now my amps run way hotter then they used to on my 18awg cords i found in a box somewhere

does something like that make sense at all?
Of course, -but first you need to double blind test it -level matching is essential here

Bad humor aside, what you experience could be a case of bad matching between the electrical parameters of the new power cord and your smps, where the new cable's capacitance and inductance (not so much the resistance) produce a larger amount of apparent power due to larger amounts of reactive power (power flows that does no work) compared to the real power (the power that does the work)...

from wiki:
"Practical loads have resistance, inductance, and capacitance, so both real and reactive power will flow to real loads. Power engineers measure apparent power as the magnitude of the vector sum of real and reactive power. Apparent power is the product of the root-mean-square of voltage and current.
Engineers care about apparent power, because even though the current associated with reactive power does no work at the load, it heats the wires, wasting energy. Conductors, transformers and generators must be sized to carry the total current, not just the current that does useful work.

[...]

The portion of power flow remaining, after being averaged over a complete AC waveform, is the real power; that is, energy that can be used to do work (for example overcome friction in a motor, or heat an element). On the other hand, the portion of power flow that is temporarily stored in the form of magnetic or electric fields, due to inductive and capacitive network elements, and then returned to source, is known as reactive power."

I don't think you should experience higher voltages in your smps, and that it should be the cause of the phenomena... After all a few meters of cable between the wall socket and the amp probably don't affects the amp that much concerning the added resistance of the cable. Rather it is likely due to extra inductance and/or capacitance of that cable. Lower resistance of the 8AWG might reduce the damping of the wasteful reactive power flows a bit, but I'd guess that the main cause is related to having these reactive power flows in the first place....

I'd probably stay clear of that new power cord if the temperature rise is significant. Not a health-sign...

best,

Last edited by Juhleren; 26th February 2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:21 PM   #6485
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member

Are any of you guys good with electronics? I've been trying to put together this standby circuit for the ncore but am not having much success and i'm not all that proficient with electronics.

So I bought a AC to DC converter. 80-250VAC input, 9VDC out.

Here is a screenshot of the manufacturer PDF and how they suggest you hook it up.

Click the image to open in full size.

I have it hooked up like figure 1. I have a resistor instead of NTC, all the exact caps everywhere they recommend, but every time I turn the amp on, the fuse on my 120VAC main line blows, and i'm also using 1amp fuses instead of the 0.5 they recommend. I just cannot for the life of me figure out the problem. I have tested for shorts on the primary side of the rectifier/transformer and there is nothing. Does their diagram look like it should work? All I am trying to do with the 9V is power a led and the smps standby, there is no way that is drawing more than 1amp on the 120VAC side.
Old 28th February 2013, 01:34 AM   #6486
ua100k is offline ua100k  United States
diyAudio Member

Unhook Vout to see if it is a surge problem or a Vout problem.
Old 28th February 2013, 02:30 AM   #6487
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thought I had checked polarity of my electrolytic caps at least a dozen times before putting them in place but I obviously did not check well enough. Polarity on C3 was reversed which I quickly figured out after bypassing the fuse. Grabbed a new capped and installed it properly, now all is working well. Though now i'm short a cap for my other amp lol.
Old 28th February 2013, 05:55 AM   #6488
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
Polarity on C3 was reversed which I quickly figured out after bypassing the fuse.
Ah, welcome to the exciting and spectacular world of Exploding Electrolytics

Fortunately the "wrong polarity" events tend to be less violent than the "overvoltage" ones.

I once had one go off in my face, after having already unplugged the power, as I was carrying the circuit board back to my lab desk...
Old 28th February 2013, 05:07 PM   #6489
DeJ is offline DeJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm looking to build Nc400 and smps600 mono's. I'd like to keep the RFI/EMI as low as possible with using a sealed enclosure/s.

1. Does the Nc400 produce RFI itself. OR is it just the switching nature of the smps600 that does?

2. Would it be beneficial to isolate the smps600 in it's own enclosure? I've seen some mono's like Belcanto with separate power supply chassis.

Excited about the build!
Old 1st March 2013, 02:02 PM   #6490
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJ View Post
I'm looking to build Nc400 and smps600 mono's. I'd like to keep the RFI/EMI as low as possible with using a sealed enclosure/s.

1. Does the Nc400 produce RFI itself. OR is it just the switching nature of the smps600 that does?

2. Would it be beneficial to isolate the smps600 in it's own enclosure? I've seen some mono's like Belcanto with separate power supply chassis.

Excited about the build!
For me, it's hard to see the benefit of isolating the SMPS600 power supply if you're concerned about noise. In my setup, with the SMPS600 merely an inch or so away from the NC400, I cannot hear the slightest noise with the input shorted. It's dead silent with my ear pressed to the tweeter. Not sure why any additional isolation would be required. It may be "best practice" and useful for other designs; but seems superfluous here. My interconnects probably pick up 1000 times the noise that is produced by the SMPS600+NC400. Just my two cents--of course you're welcome to do whatever you want.

Hide this!Advertise here!