Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruno's take on Theta's LPS:

"Regarding the supplies, the proof is printed black on white in fig 4. in the Stereophile review of the Prometheus. Those 60Hz related components are simply nonexistent in the Kalugas. The most likely cause of those in the Thetas is the big toroidal transformer combined with the big capacitor tank and the rectifiers + associated wiring putting out a stray field. It's often said that toroids don't have a stray field. They do, and it's located where the wires come out. The field you get there is very nasty, consisting of 60Hz harmonics going all the way up into the kHz region. It's so strong that it is easily picked up by the speaker wiring so the amp output could be clean and you'd still get a buzz in the speaker as a result of the few inches of wire between the amp module and the chassis."

https://onahighernote.com/blog/productfaq/linear-versus-switching-psu-in-mola-mola-kaluga/

I don't see the schematics for the SIL-994 or Sparko discrete opamps anywhere on the NC-500 datasheet. Theta was using the SIL-994 and Sparko's in their NC1200 input buffer for years? I thought they used the onboard LM4562?

"My input buffer design" = using someone else's op amp design in the Hypex recommended buffer circuit.

Hmm... what a distorted view of the world.

And, yes, Theta use the on-board buffer in their NC1200 implementations. That's been known for some time. People have loved them for years. To come here saying your input buffer design :roll eyes: and the Nord's have been revolutionary with respect to Hypex acceptance is just nonsense. Early purchasers of the Prometheus have known this well before Larry Greenhill got hold of a pair for review.

The Nords just delivered an assembled kit at a price point which, until recently, looked extremely attractive. And a socket gave a few people the chance to dabble in op amp rolling. I've see the build quality of the Nords and I am not a buyer.

ATI's implementation of the NC500 is damn good. It truly makes Nord amp's look like DIY or rather DIY assembly. And I think you'd be surprised which op amp they use and why. Certainly when I step up to Atmos the ATI or Theta Dread D will be driving those extra speakers.

If you want to discuss your products please by all means open a thread in the Vendor's section and post all your pics there. Perhaps you can do so and ask the mods to shift all your relevant posts from this thread. If you want to share your designs then post schematics and be prepared to give answers to technical questions.

Last edited:
No, it's a thread for non-vendors to discuss Hypex Ncore. If you wish to discuss/advertise your products (Ncore or otherwise) then you need to open a thread in the vendors' bazaar. I don't represent Theta in any capacity. I merely noted my opinion that they've done more to shift adoption of Hypex Ncore than Nord and certainly more than "your" input buffer design.

The major difference with audio is it's based on listening. Without listening it's meaningless. Once we cross the threshold of where the specs are so good many will consider perfect, it's personal taste that determines the rest. Personally I don't like the sound of poor measuring gear. I prefer the music. But i'm not so naive to think that there's not differences in sound among the top measuring gear. If this was the case we wouldn't be offering many options of stellar preforming discrete class A opamps. Because we know no matter how great they all measure, they all sound different.

Doesn't the above rather hammer home the point that it's not really a discussion about nCore?

The fact that nCore is on the end of the buffer is kind of irrelevent, doubly so if it's also considered that the choice of which buffer type to use is subjective anyway i.e. is chosen due to listener opinion rather than how it integrates with nCore.

I am guessing that this underlines the sceptic attitudes in response.

Doesn't the above rather hammer home the point that it's not really a discussion about nCore?

The fact that nCore is on the end of the buffer is kind of irrelevent, doubly so if it's also considered that the choice of which buffer type to use is subjective anyway i.e. is chosen due to listener opinion rather than how it integrates with nCore.

I am guessing that this underlines the sceptic attitudes in response.

If the buffer makes the difference between people buying and enjoying the complete amp, then it's quite relevant. However it's obvious that the buffer without the Hypex bit's wouldn't make much of an amp.

If the buffer makes the difference between people buying and enjoying the complete amp, then it's quite relevant. However it's obvious that the buffer without the Hypex bit's wouldn't make much of an amp.

I would argue that differences between people buying and enjoying a complete amp clearly comes under vendor bazaar, sales, marketing etc

NC500 is not available for DIYers sadly... not to say that it can't be discussed at all, just that there are few relevent aspects of it that apply to this thread.

Can we get them as a group buy or has that already been discussed and dismissed elsewhere? Are they really €80 ish modules? Can I apply to get some for a "potential product" but then fail to develop past the prototype stage and still keep them? How does this work?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:cop:

After much deliberation the decision has been made to close this thread.

To those parties selling product or services... you should be posting in either the Vendors Bazaar area of the forum or better still you should take out a paid subscription for your own forum in the commercial area of the site. Doing so would give you total control over that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.