hypex ncore - Page 633 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2013, 10:23 AM   #6321
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Rajapruk, maybe you should turn the SMPS 180 to have the heatsink touching the case. This would probably help disspating some of the heat directly to the case instead of heating up the air inside the case.
I which the SMPS600 had a lateral heatsink too...
Old 11th February 2013, 10:45 AM   #6322
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all your advice!
Hifi2000 sells a much more ventilated cover, I will start with that and see what happens.
Old 11th February 2013, 08:17 PM   #6323
diyAudio Member

Out of curiosity, how hot is the SMPS heatsink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajapruk View Post
Hifi2000 sells a much more ventilated cover, I will start with that and see what happens.
You can also try the technique shown here, with your current cover:
NC400 Cooling

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by pos; 11th February 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11th February 2013, 11:24 PM   #6324
ua100k is offline ua100k  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
While we are at it, would someone know the exact reference of the female crimp terminal to use with the microfit molex connector 43025-1200 ?
I think it is the 43030, but several version exists:
View List

What is the AWG of the wire?

I would like to fit 2 (or myabe even 3) wires per connector, so if the original AWG is 24, 2 of them should fit no problem in the 20-24 AWG model...

Also, do you know if special tools are required to assembled those crimps, or will a simple crimp tool be sufficient?
Digi-Key Part Number
WM1784-ND - Crimp
WM2776CT-ND - housing.

The crimps are very small. You should use a crimp tool to make life easy. Since this is small, a cheap tool from ebay will do the job with some careful fixing after that. This will hold up to 20 AWG. Use 1 20 AWG or more thinner wires. However the crimped wire will not fit in the housing if too many wires are used. If not using the right crimp tool, finish with some solder to make sure the wires do not slip out and have a better connection.
Old 11th February 2013, 11:28 PM   #6325
ua100k is offline ua100k  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have had them running all night today playing low volume. The cases are very hot. I can hold my hand on them without pain, but it is hotter than anything I have had before.
I will check if Hifi2000 sells more ventilated top covers to this case (Galaxy Maggiorato with aluminium top/bottom)
The internal regulators are working in the nc400 because I do not have the smps600. So they are dissipating more heat than the in normal case.
Without the top cover it was not running hot at all.
Any other advice what I can/should do? I know theat many class-A amplifiers are running very hot, maybe it is ok?
With 2 amp modules you are generating twice the heat. This builds up the heat on the case and it has a harder and harder time getting rid of the heat. Hence the heat build up. Always vent otherwise you are looking at the greenhouse effect. holes at the opposite ends of the chassis, eg. bottom back, top front.
Old 12th February 2013, 07:40 AM   #6326
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua100k View Post
Digi-Key Part Number
WM1784-ND - Crimp
WM2776CT-ND - housing.

The crimps are very small. You should use a crimp tool to make life easy. Since this is small, a cheap tool from ebay will do the job with some careful fixing after that. This will hold up to 20 AWG. Use 1 20 AWG or more thinner wires. However the crimped wire will not fit in the housing if too many wires are used. If not using the right crimp tool, finish with some solder to make sure the wires do not slip out and have a better connection.
Thanks a lot!
I do have the crimp tool that Hypex seel.
Do you know the AWG of the original wires?
If they are 24 AWG I guess two would easily fit in that 20 AWG crimp...
Old 14th February 2013, 02:09 AM   #6327
diyAudio Member

Default grounding design

Can someone explains why J5 is connected to (1) - aka the grounding to the case? I notice the heatsink's surface does not conduct electricity but it is actually connected to the casing when screws are applied.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-02-13 at 11.24.10 PM.png (126.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 14th February 2013, 04:41 AM   #6328
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My 3 monoblocks with bridged nc400 and SMPS1200A400, built by my friend Georg.

We have compared them against the standard nc400+SMPS600 in a dual-mono config today. The bridged ones sounds much more "alive", and they are not even broken in. The standard ones sounds flatter. Less dynamics.

The monoblocks has version 4 of nc400. The dual-mono has version 3. What was the changes made in version 4?

So it sounds like there were two big changes:
1) using SMPS1200A400 instead of SMPS600
2) bridging using two NC400s

Its not clear how much of the improvements you are reporting can be attributed to each change?

Also, out of curiosity, how obvious are the improvements you are hearing? Do you have to do repeated AB to identify the improvements or is it immediately obvious?
Old 14th February 2013, 06:22 AM   #6329
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan92075 View Post
So it sounds like there were two big changes:
1) using SMPS1200A400 instead of SMPS600
2) bridging using two NC400s

Its not clear how much of the improvements you are reporting can be attributed to each change?

Also, out of curiosity, how obvious are the improvements you are hearing? Do you have to do repeated AB to identify the improvements or is it immediately obvious?
True. Version 4 of nc400 might also be a change?

We had to do repeated AB to make sure what we heard was "true". Some would say it was very little difference, other would say big difference. Subjective. Georg will now change is amplifier to bridged as well.
Old 14th February 2013, 07:24 AM   #6330
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
We had to do repeated AB to make sure what we heard was "true".
AB, but not double-blind ABX?

Hide this!Advertise here!