hypex ncore - Page 619 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2013, 01:22 PM   #6181
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnenwender View Post
So which cables readily available in Europe would you recommend? I guess the BJ cables are kind of hard to get in Germany
You could ask these guys: audionetwork Distribution

They definitely carry the Belden cable that BJ uses. If they don't do ready-made XLR connector cables, I am sure they know who in Germany does.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:24 PM   #6182
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
I am using cat-6 as I need multiple channels.
So do-i: If you chose the individual shielded pair model, you can use only one cable for the two channels, reducing loop problems. Connect the grounds preamp side with the free pairs weld to the ground, connect only those free pairs amp side to the ground, and let the shields free here: you will reduce noises induced by AC leakage.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:51 PM   #6183
mogn is offline mogn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I use Supra EFF-ISL XLR with Neutrix connectors. 2 meters.
works well with my "Merrill Veritas ncore 1200"
Old 24th January 2013, 03:41 PM   #6184
diyAudio Member

Default Funny...

That some folks think Mr Putzeys would not be in favor of relatively expensive cabling, considering his company Grimm Audio actually makes and sells some fairly expensive high end cabling.
I use Nordost Frey (about the same price as Grimm XLR) with my nCore stereo amp to very good effect, and Julf will be happy to know that Nordost actually publishes specs as well . One thing I would suggest, while I like unsheilded in some applications, stay away from some of the audiophile cables which are unsheilded for use with the nCores.
Old 24th January 2013, 03:43 PM   #6185
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
I use Nordost Frey (about the same price as Grimm XLR) with my nCore stereo amp to very good effect
Have you tried a less fancy cable?
Old 24th January 2013, 04:09 PM   #6186
diyAudio Member

Default Julf...

Quote:
Have you tried a less fancy cable?
I think we are treading on dangerous waters, and this is not the place to derail the nCore thread into a cable debate. The answer is yes, I have a huge amount of experience comparing cables (even blinded, though I do not really believe in blind testing). I no longer do cable comparisons, as after I found the Nordost Frey to be within my budget, and to outperform cables costing quite a bit more, I settled on them, and have felt no need to change. They are well made cables, produced in the US (which matters to me) guaranteed for life, and they sound great. At a very similar price to Grimm Audio cables. When I find something which works for me, I tend to stick with it for a long time-I prefer listening to music rather than tweaking the system these days, so no need to listen to every new "flavor of the month" in cables.
BTW, I still have not decided if I prefer my Pass X150.5 or my nCore amp, both are very good. Different to be sure, but it is very hard to say that one is "better" than the other.
Old 24th January 2013, 04:12 PM   #6187
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think we are treading on dangerous waters, and this is not the place to derail the nCore thread into a cable debate.
I agree. My question was really about comparing cables in the specific context of the nc400.
Old 24th January 2013, 04:34 PM   #6188
diyAudio Member

Default OK...

Quote:
I agree. My question was really about comparing cables in the specific context of the nc400.
To be clear, I have not tried any other cables with my nCore, as I have already settled on the Nordosts are being "my" cables of choice. If I had a "problem" with how things were sounding maybe I would try a different cable, but I do not. I consider, for me, the Nordost Frey to be as neutral a cable as I know, and to that effect it is my reference. Since I have been evaluating the sound of the amps, I choose to keep the cables constant.
There is nothing unusual (L,C, & R) in the Nordost cables to be concerned about-no weird boxes on them, magnets, or crazy audiophile connectors, and they are wired in a standard way: sheild terminated to pin 1, equal wires to pins two and three, twisted.
Old 24th January 2013, 04:49 PM   #6189
diyAudio Member

Quote:
To be clear, I have not tried any other cables with my nCore, as I have already settled on the Nordosts are being "my" cables of choice.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 24th January 2013, 08:38 PM   #6190
mfb is offline mfb  United States
diyAudio Member

Default NCore and UcD700

Hello Guys,

Haven't scanned thru all of the posts relating to the NCore technology. I have built several UcD amps and wanted to see how they compare to the NCore.

Anyone have an NCore build in the San Francisco area? I have a set of UcD700HGs that I would love to compare.

Thx.

Marty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (45).JPG (537.7 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg photo (43).JPG (563.0 KB, 282 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!