hypex ncore - Page 616 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2013, 02:54 PM   #6151
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Well, I can report, based on personal experience, that (at least at the power levels that I use) a smps600 shared between 2 nc400's works just fine, with no degradation in sound quality compared to dedicated smps's.
Thanks for sharing your impression.
It is good to know when investing your hard-earned money where the real improvements may lie. smps600´s are quite steeply priced and consume power while idling so obviously no need to use more than necessary...

BTW the easy hook up of nc400 + smps600 seems to work without cable mods when using one smps per amp. I´d guess that hooking one smps on two nc400s should be pretty straight forward, but it may cause some varying results depending on how it´s done. Julf, do you have a picture of how you did it, or can you describe it (did you just splice two hypex smps600 cables at the smps end or?...)

Has anyone tried the smps1200A400 for nc400?
Or compared different smps´s on the same amp?
Old 20th January 2013, 02:59 PM   #6152
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Really?
That is just what i hear.
Notice it is very subtle, and can vary, depending of your enclosures ability to present a precise space localization.
Mine are so, with a very high efficiency speaker (compression driver and spherical horn based), supposed to be less power asking than others, so, less sensible to those effects.

Just my personal experience with careful listening comparisons and a full professional life dedicated to music (audio design and music producing).
As it is subjective, i will not fight against any opposite argues.
The last experience is recent, while i work on my system, to move from mono amplification with passive filters, to active filtering. I tried separated PSU, then unique one. Same conclusion.
I can be biased with my own believes too, but i do not think so.
There is a negative aspect: you need care with grounding implementation.

Last edited by Esperado; 20th January 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 20th January 2013, 03:19 PM   #6153
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
Julf, do you have a picture of how you did it, or can you describe it (did you just splice two hypex smps600 cables at the smps end or?...)
Will try to take a couple of pics tomorrow. I did the splice at mid-cable, in effect making a Y cable. If I get the time and inspiration, I might redo the cable harnesses to go all the way to the molex connector on the smps as separate cables.
Old 20th January 2013, 03:53 PM   #6154
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Will try to take a couple of pics tomorrow. I did the splice at mid-cable, in effect making a Y cable. If I get the time and inspiration, I might redo the cable harnesses to go all the way to the molex connector on the smps as separate cables.
I have been looking at the same solution, but concluded it is impossible to get two wires on one Molex Microfit pin. It is to small!!!
Old 20th January 2013, 04:12 PM   #6155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
I have been looking at the same solution, but concluded it is impossible to get two wires on one Molex Microfit pin. It is to small!!!
What kinda guage/mm2 do they seam to cope with -and would a solid core conductor be possible ?

I as far as I remember Hypex specifies the smps cable to be 18 gauge...
Old 20th January 2013, 04:12 PM   #6156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks that would be great
Old 20th January 2013, 04:14 PM   #6157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
What kinda guage/mm2 do they seam to cope with -and would a solid core conductor be possible ?

I as far as I remember Hypex specifies the smps cable to be 18 gauge...
The same gauge as the original cable... It would be very nice nice if Hypex makes a new version of the smps600 with TWO microfit connectors!
Old 20th January 2013, 04:42 PM   #6158
diyAudio Member

Yes, since it is specified to power two nc400s -it´s connective interface should also support it.
Old 20th January 2013, 04:44 PM   #6159
diyAudio Member

It is not a big deal to reduce on 5 mm the diameter of your cables in order two of them can enter inside the connector. It will not change their Z.

Last edited by Esperado; 20th January 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 20th January 2013, 04:58 PM   #6160
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
It is not a big deal to reduce on 5 mm the diameter of your cables in order two of them can enter inside the connector. It will not change their Z.
You can do that, but you will still have a problem with insulation of the wire. They will not fit in the microfit connector.

Hide this!Advertise here!